Batch 3 and 4 soapies! :)

Vio

Well I have had a nasty cold and just got part of my smell back, so I wanted to try some more soap. Still a little cloudy, but not so much I can't deal with lye, so I gave it a shot. :)

First is CandleScience's Violet Lime. This is an experiment I realized I didn't think out enough. I didn't want to ask anyone really, because then if I did it all myself, I would be really proud I figured it out. Wick'N'Wax inspired me to want to make a jelly roll type soap. I had it all figured out I thought. I lined and properly measured out to have two equal portions, separately colored in my cookie sheets. Poured it and it spread nicely. I left it in the off oven all night and it was set up enough to flip the one layer onto the other. Now, I have to hope I can catch it at the hard enough to peel stage, to peel and roll it. And the part I hadn't thought of? What to do with a roll of soap after it was rolled!!! :laugh2: I know I need to sit it in something that's round and has a round lid as well. I think I need to get some pvc tube or something for this one. But I'm going to try it anyway and see how it goes. It's an experiment and for me, experiments and the unknown is fun! LOL Here's the two layers. Pictures didn't come out too good for some reason. Someone touched something on the settings or the light was bad or something last night. Hope it wasn't work of soap fairies. I had home made chocolate chip cookies not far away for them to go to that, instead of my soap. LOL

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4206.jpg

Next is my Olivia's coat hanger swirl method. I was so tired at that point. I just hope it isn't all mushed color inside. LOL I think I did it right. Scented Peak's Ocean which is an outrageous scent and also a known seizer. I had to try it and it worked well thanks to tips from E and Scented. Thank you again to both of you! :)

IMG_4205.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

The colors are all off from the pictures not coming out good. I used the tkb Pop! micas for the coloring. That stuff is a blast to play with. It was fun mixing up the colors. The jelly roll colors are a mixed green and a mixed purple, and the ocean is supposed to be ocean blue and a lighter ocean blue with less blue in it, which really looks almost greenish. I have to adjust the camera for the cuts pictures.

I'm open to any advice on the jelly roll. If worse comes to worse with that, I'll just make layered blocks of soap. It won't be a total loss if it doesn't go well. I'm just hoping it peels well from the freezer paper. I think I should have smeared some mineral oil on the paper. Oh well, next time, now I know. :)

The oils were all grocery store. Mostly lard with OO, coconut 76, and castor in them. :)

Looking forward to cuts on the hanger one.

As for the other ... if it was the recipe you showed me that you used, it's going to be getting the layers to stick that should be your worry and I can't help you there. I just pour layers on top of each other. But you should have a lot of flexibility with that recipe, even more than you want perhaps.

Thanks! The colors are really much different in true color. The darned camera was doing something weird last night and it cast a green hue over everything. Even my counter looks green and I have no idea what those strange pinkish spots are either. They're not in my soap! LOL

Well the one is set up nicely. The swirl one. The two layered one though, I was finally able to peel the paper off the top to take a look at it like an hour ago. It's still gooey. I guess the recipe and the water I used is setting up slower than what I was used to with the first two, but it's ok. I'm learning some patience with this. LOL ;)

The cookie sheet layers together are stuck nicely from what I can see. I had to wait till just the right time when there was no slide, to flip the other on top to let them set together for the rest of the day. Very strange though. No real hardening going on. Well it's much harder, but it's like slimy clay kinda thing and still oily and not soapy. Worse comes to worse, I guess I can turn the heat on in the oven to get it to gel a bit? I mixed very well, but poured light/medium trace so I could get a nice level thin slab, so maybe next time will wait till it traces a bit more. Could be that fo too, might be preventing it from going further. I haven't insulated it at all. It's just been in the pan, in the oven with the oven off so maybe that's keeping it from getting warm enough to sap faster. Interesting seeing the bahavior though. :)

Will cut tomorrow with this one. Don't want to chance the inside of the ocean one is still wet and will get all funky edges if I cut it.

Thank you! :)

I wonder, since it's part lime, the fo (violet lime), if the citric acid is slowing up the sap? That batch was 33% fixed lye. I mixed the sucker well too with whisk. This is strange. It's molded enough to flip, but it's still oily like. I might have to bake it a bit.

And yes the two layers are stuck together. I thought I might have to use alcohol, but since it's still oily like in a way, I just didn't think I needed it. We'll see. Interesting little experiment. Was expecting ocean to give me more trouble than the layers one! :laugh2:

Nice batches!!! That's great you were able to work with Ocean without seizing/accelerating. It's a bestseller for me, and everytime I have to do restock batches, I cringe. LOL

I do a water discount, and it just moves too fast for me to make it pretty. I need to not do a discount... but..... I love my water discounts! LOL Great Job Vio!!

Thank you! :)

Well the ocean batch, looks ashy I think. It's in the middle. I ran out of plastic wrap like an hour before when I went to wrap some cookies I baked. I knew that was going to be bad. Instead, I used some freezer paper to cover it. It's dotty in the middle area and that area just tastes terrible. You touch tongue to any other places and no taste at all really. It's a tart taste. Not sizzly really like I'd expect with lye. More like a citrus tartness or something. Very strange. I might have to cut it off. It's nice and hard today, and I cut a sliver off to test and it's a creamy light foam. This batch was 40% lard, both of them.

The rolled ones I actually got to roll just today. They're still like lard like but like harder clay like too. Was easy to roll. I could even sculpt it if I wanted to. Now, to figure out if it's going to harden though! LOL Strange. I might just let the roll bake a bit at 170 to see what it does.

Barbara I used the select shade color charts as a semi guide and also the color wheel as well. The purple one I made up to be an alpine violet, which is like an amythyst color. Purple, blue and green. Then the green cookie sheet is supposed to be like ss irish beauty. Blue green and yellow.

Then the ocean, I went to "tkb Ocean" on google video and used their mix for the ocean blue they demonstrate which is blue, green and tangerine. The lighter shade though, right now is like a sand color. I kept it too light I think and it didn't take, but it's still nice. I have to take some pictures of it cut. I cut it a bit too soon I think. But it's not messy looking still. I still have to work on the patience thing with this. This recipe takes longer with the water being extra, to really set up and it was a first for me, not doing a water discount. I don't like it. LOL But the ocean does smell nice though. Will take pictures soon to post. Oh and I used black mica to darken the ones I wanted darker. All together like 1 tsp for each portion color, of all combined colors.

Have to figure out now how to deal with this roll and get it to harden up. It was 33% fixed lye and it's just boggling me why it's still so plyable. Has to be the 1/4 inch layers prevented it from hardening or something. Didn't get hot at all really being spread so thin. But still cool. I could make shapes with this recipe easily. It's like play dough.

Ok here's the cuts of Ocean. The ocean blue does look kind of cool and I'm not that upset about the other color not quite making it because it looks kind of like sand to me. I think it was a little tangerine heavy with the mica. LOL Still cool but that ash whatever it is is annoying me. The sides look powdery in pictures, but it's really from cutting it. I cut too early and it like smoodged the sides as it cut. I was lucky to be able to use two colors with this one seeing as it set up fast with the fo. Next time I'll be more prepared to really concentrate on getting better pouring to make poured areas less thick. It was very 3-d looking when I poured it. The strips I poured in, were sitting and now laying, if you know what I mean. :)

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4228.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4220.jpg

IMG_4218.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

This one below picture, on the left top, is the one I wet and washed hands with and the powdery thing came off a bit. I didn't really fuss to get it all off though.

IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4211.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

I like the colors and the swirls...

I think it is great that you are brave enough to try something different...

I bet they smell great too....:drool:

Where did you get the instructions for hanger swirls..I have been reading here about them, unless I'm blind I have not seen any instructions...lol

I'll try anything once 8-Gran-Ones and the scent is really a nice one. It just screams "soap me". LOL

Well I joined a few soaping forums and it appears the tutorial is actually on one of the ones I just joined. A soaper named Olivia posted a tutorial there. Called the Whisk forum. Mentions of it in this thread. http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68657

I have to try it with another recipe and fo though. One that doesn't move fast like Ocean did. ;)

Thank you Louise! Yeah from what I can smell, they smell nice!

With a thinner pouring batter though, the effects would have been better but they're still pretty cool considering! It was fun to play with a swirling method like that. :)

Oh and I washed my hands with that one bar again before, and nice bubbly lather. They might not look as pretty as I'd hoped, but they seem to bubbly nicely. The first test I did this morning trying one was half the lather it seemed. What a difference half a day made.

The jelly roll is finally firming up!!! I'll take a picture of the roll itself today, but I don't want to cut it too soon. If I do and it all smoodges, then it will be a waste. Have to just wait till it's just the right time to cut. I can't wait to see the cuts too. *crossing fingers*

OK the thing is really getting nicely firm now. It's amazing me how it's firming up now. Flipped it over and it didn't really make much of a flat spot where it sat. Nothing that is way noticeable anyway. So, by tomorrow, might be able to slice it up. I'm really excited now to see how it looks inside! LOL :)

Well it's getting harder but when I rub my finger on it, and some gets on fingers, and then run water and rub, not a sign of bubbles.

I'm about to bake it a little if it doesn't look like it's a soap by tomorrow. Why did I have to try this??? :laugh2: