Suggestions for translucent wax?

Ok ladies and gentlemen, here I go being a newbie pain in the butt again. I got the IGN-1313 because my local supplier said it would not mottle or snowflake and because it was "the most translucent" wax they had.

I have tried 3Lb out of my 10lb slab now, and it all mottled. I heated it per the suppliers instructions to about 200 degrees and then added my FO and color. Then I pored it at 190 degrees. It still moddled. I did not want to use vybar because the description said that it would make the wax opaque and that is just not the look I wanted to go for.

Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong, or another suggestion as to what wax I can get that would get me to the desired effect?

I was reading the discription on that one at the supplyer, but it says that it may or may not mottle, and it is the mottleing that I am upset about.

I know that I cannot get compleately translucent wax without going over to gel, I just want a translucent paraffin or paraffin/soy blend that will not mottle.

Thank you for the suggestion though. Have you found that the 1343 is as unperdicatable as it sounds like it is?

If you want to try additives I find the UA that the candlemaker store sells to help leave the wax more translucent then vybar will. http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/category/additives.universal_additive/

Anytime you add any additive to wax it will make the wax more opaque but this UA does a better job. I have also found there is a difference in UA's from different suppliers. Not that many suppliers sell this UA, and the other UA most suppliers sell just didn't work for me in my wax.

IGI-1343 is a nice translucent wax, I have found others. But, then the wicking would get to me.

hth,

Karen B

IGI has 2 types of 1343. 1343,and 1343N. The 1343N has been tested and will not mottle.

The regular 1343 is not sold as mottling wax and may or may not mottle (mine has always mottled).

This information came form an IGI rep a few years ago. Chances are you got the regular 1343 and not the 1343N. Many suppliers don't even realize that there is a difference and are not sure what they have.

Just saw that you are in PA. If your local supplier is Candles & Supplies, their's is the regular 1343, or at least it used to be when I bought it.

HTH,

e

Well see, that's the problum. I got the 1313 becuse the listing they have on there website says that it ' will not mottle or snowflake'.

I have tried and tried, and either they pulled the wrong wax for me by mistake, and I know that happens, or they are full of.... well.... know you the rest.

I am quite upset at this, as I have a very small buget and did not intent to wate product on wax that did not perform up to spects. :angry2:

Does anyone know where to get the 1343N, as if that has been tested and it really does not mottle or snowflake, I would like to know where to get some.

Well see, that's the problem. I got the 1313 because the listing they have on there website says that it ' will not mottle or snowflake'.

My apologies Draco, I misread your first post. I've never used the 1313.

I'd contact the supplier if that's what they said on their site.

e

Understood, I do want that translucent look, but without the mottling.

We will see about the continuing saga of 1313 as my supplier said that they have not in there tests had an issue with the 1313 mottling, so they are willing to replace my slab.

I will let you all know about test #2 tomorrow after I get the new slab.

Well, after talking to the ladies at the supplyer, the desision was made that there website needs an update, and the 1313 will in fact mottle. Time to start playing with Vybar... got some with my credit, tested a few votives, still trying to get the mix right with the 151mp I got on sale.

FO is what causes a more translucent wax to mottle. You can try reducing the amount of FO. I know that C&S carries transulent crystal additive. I use it in my hurricanes. No mottling but then no FO either.

The only wax for me that doesn't mottle is very opaque or has a high mp.

But mottled is cool. People actually use a mottling additive to get a more mottled look. You say you don't have money to waste -work with the mottled look. You may think it's fugly but others might see it as pretty and unique especially when done with deep rich colors.

Draco's partner in wax here (or well, she's more like my partner in wax, this started out as MY crafting)... She's asleep, but I'm having another sleepless night so I thought I'd update everyone on the 1313 saga.

Poured the first pound of 151mp last night. Pretty happy with it, I think next pound though we'll stick with just 1/2 tsp of vybar as opposed to the full tsp. We found that 1tsp made a funny rippling effect on the top of the candles, not bad, but not ideal.

The mottled candles made from the 1313 are still in our stock, we're going to try selling them as is and see how it works out. We've got nothing against the mottled look, it just wasn't what we were going for with what we were trying to make. I've got about 8lbs of mottling wax already, so another 10lb slab was far more then what we needed.

There's certainly a time and a place for mottling, some of the candles we've made that mottled looked really nice. I bought some scents from a new online supplier recently that I REALLY wanted a translucent look for. Sea Glass for example just struck me as something that shouldn't be mottled or opaque (and it smells GREAT!), Pink Sapphire was another. I like some of my herbals to be mottled though, one of the first batches of parafin I made was lavendar, that looks just adoreable mottled. I have found though that some colors actually get distorted with mottling though. I did quite a few experiements before I really got Draco into candle making.

The best I have used is 4045 from Candlewic....not 4045H. That will mottle if you just look at it. A little vybar slows down the mottle but I like to get a jewel tone that isn't opaque. I am not a fan of clear crystals, but they might be of some help. I like to use the least amount of additives possible to achieve the effect I am going for. Don't pour too hot....you want the wax to cool quickly so there isn't time for it to linger and mottle. A little clear crystals and a little vybar might just do the trick. And use the least amount of FO you can. Too much vybar causes ripples when I am pouring chunks. For small amounts of wax it is amazing how little you might need....just a few grains...but keep track of how much you use. Good luck. Donita

(*tips hat* finally got my own handle....anyway!) With the 4045 do you use the additives or is it just a melt n pour? Candlewic is less then an hour from me and if the wax is really worth it I don't mind making the trip to pick it up (I really HATE paying to ship wax, it gets so expensive).