Snowflakes

[ATTACH]15015[/ATTACH]

I made a two pound batch: 32 oz 4625, 1 t UV inhibitor, 0.25 maize chip, 0.25 bright green chip, 2 ounces lemongrass FO (candlesource), first pour at 175 *F, second pour at 185 *F. Mold is 3" dia x 4.5" h, prewarmed.

Completely cooled, then unmolded, and got all over mottles (left photo)

Melted remaining wax, added a few grains of vybar 103, poured again with same conditions as above (candle on right). This one has a few randomly placed white spots.

Yup, a few more grains should get rid of the rest.

Sounds just like 1343... wonder how much different it burns from the original 4625..

The candle on the R is what I get most of the time. And like was said, sometimes you can make them and they are perfect. I have some testers sitting around that were perfect. But out of that same box of wax I had some with just a few snowflakes. If it is all over to me that is mottle, a few is snowflakes. Like where I live, if we ever get anything it is just some snowflakes, not snow:D

Surprising, but the batch that was so bad I melted down and poured cooler and that took care of a lot of the problem. There are still a few in the pillars but I can live with that. Guess I will just melt the other 8 and see what happens with them.

Was hoping the pillars I poured using the additives like Cierra Candles said would be cool enough to take out the one I was going to use for a tester but it is not. Will have to wait till in AM.

I may call CS in AM and see what they have to say.

I use stearic and vybar 103 to take care of those "snowflakes".... Just a small amount of adjustment can make a world of difference. The vybar seems to do the trick. Too much and you defeat the scent......but just the right amount and you should have a smooth opaque candle. Don't pour too hot. Donita

[ATTACH]15019[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15020[/ATTACH]

Donita - You are so right. This is with 1 tsp vybar 103 and 3 TBS steric per lb. Poured at 165-170. Don't know when I have seen pillars that perfect. Not even 1 little ole white spot:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

By the way this is scented with Flickers Balsam & Citrus and CS Forest green. I love this scent. The 16oz is for a customer and the 12oz for me

post-5428-139458443714_thumb.jpg

post-5428-139458443716_thumb.jpg

Those look nice grama! I am glad you got rid of your snowflakes. I will add a bit more vybar and some stearic to my next batch.

I used to use 1343 for pillars, and added stearic and vybar. Then I switched to 4625 to avoid adding additives. What's the point of 4625 if I now have to add additives????

Maybe it's just a weird or mislabeled batch. Let us know what CS says this morning. I still have the box that the 4625 came in, so maybe it can be traced back to a specific problem.

I have burned a few of my newer pillars without any noticable difference in the burn (LX wicks).

Talked with Diane at CS this AM and this was news to her. No one had complained. I tried to tell her all we have had going on and what Cierra said. Told her about this thread so she could see pics. I remelted all the other pillars and added some vybar and steric. Hoping they will come out good.

Diane at Candle Science is wonderful. If any one company can get to the bottom of this they can.

I've been brainstorming, you guys say in the same box of wax some pillars will turn out full mottle while others only have just a couple of white spots. I have no idea how they manufacture preblended waxes but from your experience could it be something like the additives are not fully incorporated in the whole wax evenly?

I when I use things like vybar and stearic I don't worry too much about mixing it up. But, when I use harder additives like clear crystals and luster crystals they are harder to get mixed in after I melt them. Those I have my own little method so I know they get mixed into the wax right.

Either way grama I'm glad you found a solution, hopefully 4625 will turn back to it's usual real preblended self very soon.

Karen B

Karen - the worse I have had is in this new box I just ordered in Jan and just used the first of it with these pillars. They had many more spots-snowflakes than other did. I don't know, if it stays the way it is and turns out perfect pillars everytime - hey - I'll add the additives:D