Recyled Glass Candle Containers

Does anyone know where I could find recycled glass candle containers?

Also, what is the best supplier for EO's for Soy Candles?

One more question, Does anyone know where I could find Soy or all natural dye for Soy wax?

Any info would be very helpful, Thank you!

Thank you, I have done this a couple of times, but for some reason I can't find any info on recycled glass candle containers. I am trying to make a truly "green" candle. I will keep on searching... Also the dye I am looking for needs to be plant based renewable.

Thank you. That was a crazy thread but very helpful and informative, thank you!

I have a Client that wants to make the most environmentally friendly candle possible.

Soooo, I am trying to get a container that is made from recycled glass, Spain has so many but then it gets ridiculous about wasting oil gas etc to ship it over, so i am trying to find one in US, or even better Illinois.

Now about the wax since I read that thread I will have to do some research on what would be the best way to go.

Then of course an EO that is a real EO made from plants etc.

Then a dye that is plant based as well.

If anyone has links to sites etc or can help me out I would appreciate it.

Glass baby food jars??? At least she would be recycling...and I guess you could get those for free if you ask everyone you know to start collecting them.

Coconut shells, oyster and mussel shells, food tin cans....recycled cups and glasses from the local Salvation Army Store?

Just throwing some ideas around....

Cheers,

Hells

• 1 year later...

HEy all,

Are there any other suggestions for recycled glass. It's surprisingly hard to find here in the US.

I looked at couronneco.com, but unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to justify the 400% jump in cost per jar! (for the large jars anyway... the small jars are reasonably priced.)

I already have eco friendly candles, but didn't realize that new glass takes 1,000,000 to biodegrade and I'd like to go even further by using recycled glass.

I've been searching online for hours. Any suggestions?

candlewic has some, but I think only a couple of styles

http://www.candlewic.com/store/category.aspx?q=c24&title=Glass%20Candle%20Containers

scroll down to see them

Yes, they have a small selection of recycled glass. Sometimes they have discounts on them, but FYI they are very heavy, thick walled jars and can easily cost alot in shipping. I have the Recycled Glass Sun Mugs and they are very heavy duty. I use them for drinking though.

Edited by Carriegsxr6

candlewic has some, but I think only a couple of styles

http://www.candlewic.com/store/category.aspx?q=c24&title=Glass%20Candle%20Containers

scroll down to see them

I've seen those at the store... I think it was Cost Plus. Might want to check there.

My advice would be, unless your client is forking over a nice, fat deposit on your testing your "eco-friendly" candles - don't do it. I mean, what kind of candles are you making right now? Is this an entirely NEW venture for you (new jars, new waxes, new scents)?

Just to sell 1 person 5 good candles, you can end up spending hundreds of dollars in product testing time and supplies.

The problem with using recycled glass for candle containers is assuring that the glass will hold up to the stresses of thermal shock & high temps of burning candles. I appreciate your desire to be "green," but quality and customer safety must come first. Most recycled glass containers I have seen are very pleasing to the eye but lack a lot in product consistency. The problem with recycling glass is that it isn't a process of simply melting it down and remolding it. Glass has to be properly annealed to relieve the internal stress of melting & cooling; otherwise, it crazes and cracks wickedly and unpredictably. Glassers who work hot and warm glass understand that combining glasses of varying coefficients of expansion dooms a project no matter what the glassmaker does! Some will crack as soon as they cool; others can go for years and suddenly shatter unexpectedly.

While recycled glass is wonderful and very pleasing to the eye in vases, etc., it isn't the best choice for candle containers.

logo.gif

Glass can be recycled endlessly with no loss in quality or purity.

An estimated 80% of recovered glass containers are made into new glass bottles.

Today’s glass containers are more than 40% lighter than they were 20 years ago. And light weighting efforts continue throughout the industry.

So more than likely all glassware contains a certain amount of recycled glass. Glassware like Libbey, Anchor Hocking and or any other containers that are produced for the purpose of candlemaking should be used for handling high temps. Thick glass does not insure safety but rather glass that has been manufactured for the express purpose of handling high temps. I would say all of us are helping to conserve, because our glassware already contains recycled glass. HTH.

Steve

Glassware like Libbey, Anchor Hocking and or any other containers that are produced for the purpose of candlemaking should be used for handling high temps. Thick glass does not insure safety but rather glass that has been manufactured for the express purpose of handling high temps.

Yep. Perhaps it isn't fair to use the term "recycled" because it's HOW the glass is remanufactured, not the inclusion of recycled glass. Some virgin glass isn't worth spit (ie. "float" glass commonly used for glass bottles) because it wasn't manufactured to the correct specifications for thermal shock resistance. Thanks for expanding on that, Steve.:)

Personally I wouldn't use recycled glass for my candles. But if you are going to use it then I'd say only use recycled glass from a well known manufacturer. Unless suppliers such as Candlewic tell you where and who the glass is manufacturer is I would stay away from it-- at least for making candles. JMO