Question about silk for soap

cottoncandy

I found this silk on ebay. This is what the seller says about this product:

You are bidding 100% tussah silk sliver bleached white. It was designed for authentic spinning or blend with any natural fibers to achieve earth-tone color.

It has luxurious appeal & superior fineness, heavenly soft hand/touch and makes an excellent gift, artworks or hand-spinning. Very rare fiber to find and spin. Ideal for any hand spinners as novelty/exotic gifts or hard-to-find collection.

I would like to know if this is okay to use in my soap or if I need to find another kind. I have never used silk, but after reading so much about it I would like to give it a try.

post-8322-139458443109_thumb.jpg

I bought some silk in a co-op on this board...It is the nicest silk I have used...You might be able to find that link, and see if they are the same...

I have used other silk that I bought from a supplier..but the quality was not even close to the co-op silk...

I use it in all my soap...HTH

LMAO. When I need silk, I will PM Shannon!

e

Really! LOL Holy Cow woman, you will have that stuff forever and a day!

I think I bought 4oz from Carrie, and I'll probably never use it all up! LOL

On a side note, does anyone else think this stuff STANKS??! UGH, thank goodness it doesn't come through in the soap, but dang, it turns into some stanky stuff when I add the lye-shooo weee! LOL

I just bought some silk.....how much do I actually put into the lye??

Cheers,

Hellen

Well mine is in a rope type strand, so usually I just cut off about an inch of that, or probably about the size of a cottonball. :) Oh and that's for a 2lb. batch.

I don't know if I can really tell a difference since I started using the silk, but I'm using it no matter what, cuz I have 4oz. of it. LOL

There is a big difference in my soaps and in Meridiths soaps.

She sends me soap occasionally (I'm out of the triple milk coconut soap..hint hint). She happened to send a soap that I already had so I compared the labels. One had silk and one didn't. This was the perfect opportunity to test silk. Now Meridith makes incredible soap to begin with but the added silk boosted the bubble and lather so much, I was sold for life.

If you get a chance, make up two batches, one with and one without silk. Then test for yourself.

I sincerely thank you ladies for all the helpful suggestions. I purchased this off of eBay, and already have received and soaped with it. I will hopefully be able to tell a difference when I get to use it. I bought 6 ozs and he sent me 8 ozs, so I am assuming I will probably have enough for at least a year or longer as I don't make but about 2--3 lb batches a month.:D