How do you determine your biggest scent seller?

Brenda (OH)

I go by my invoices. I have QB, so i can just review it at any time to see what sold the most. I always know the top 10 scents at all time. Cause a lot of the time people just ask for assorted and top scents for their orders.

Course, i know what doesn't sell, casue those are what I order in at a # at a time. we have all our scents in 5# jugs at our work station,and then the lower sellers in # bottles on a shelf.

I don't have Quick Books, I use Quicken Business and it doesn't have a sorting feature :mad:. I know top sellers change from season to season but there are also the all time best sellers. I am planning on setting up an excel worksheet to get the head knowledge onto paper and am curious which method would be the wisest.

If you don't have any program running right now you can do it by spreadsheet or even by hand. If you're curious in scents only, sit down with your invoices and tally them up. Break it down by product, if you want. It is beneficial to keep track of what is selling and what is not. When you have the stats in front of you, you know for sure.

• 1 month later...

I keep track by my sales invoices and supplier invoices. I have quite a few that are best sellers for me ,and some that change seasonally. I'm always adding new scents because I'm a fragrance junkie:D

I can tell by eye. I don't order in anything larger than 2lbs. right now. All my scents are spread out in a line with premade items, or extras in front and I can see just what's left.

Though, I gotta say, I don't do a lot of volume, so that makes a difference.

But when I go through Amish Harvest in less than 3 months versus still having lavender on the shelves from a year ago...

Do you figure it by the amount of candles / products sold in a given time frame or by how much fragrance oil you purchase to produce?

A combination of both. We have to keep inventory and the sales give us an idea of what moves obviously, but if I'm constantly having to put say honeysuckle and lilac ahead of something else because of the demand then it gets noted on the production side and usually more of it will get made so it quits interrupting the joy of pouring something new.

Since we are mainly show driven at this point, we always do an inventory check as we are packing the truck, and do it again when we unload. This way I double check myself off of the sales slips, and record what we need to stock for next year. On a side note, I have noticed an increase in the baking scents, which I never expected at this time of year. My florals are doing ok, but I can't keep Blueberry Muffin and Banana bread in stock.