Soy Wax scent throw advice from dealer

Hi everyone,

I have Ecosoya CB Advanced wax from Candlescience in NC. I use them because they are close which reduces my shipping charges. After my first attempt at candlemaking I noticed there was a cold cold throw of scent but absolutely no hot throw. So, I ordered a new FO from them that they advertised worked very well in sow. Made candles using this new FO, and still no hot throw. I have read many threads on this site about soy and hot throw. Some swear by CB 135 for hot throw but claim it does not make as nice of a looking candle. Others disagree.

What if I called Candlescience and told them I am not getting a good hot throw and should it be mixed with another product or use another product? I have no reason not to trust Candlescience but is this a good way in getting a good answer and product that will get me good hot throw?

Thanks,

Matt

I haven't used that wax, but what is the cure time supposed to be? Some soys need to cure up to 2 weeks for a great hot throw. Which fragrances have you tried so far? Feel free to call CandleScience with any questions, they are GREAT with customer service and have always gone out of their way to help.

-Kristi

They probably could only help if they've been testing FOs in CBA specifically. Can't say for sure but I doubt they have the time to do that. NGI says you can't count on an FO that generally works in soy to throw well in CBA -- you have to test them individually and not many people are up for finding the standouts.

I have a feeling you might get better than average results with a lot of bakery scents. Something like Blueberry Muffins throws enough to gag a maggot (as a CT friend likes to say) in just about any wax.

I just think this is too weird! I still am testing CBA..and I have had great Hot throw with only 24-48 hours of cure time,depending on what scent it is.I am up to my 10th scent with this wax and it is great for me.

I have just recently been playing around and mixed the CBA and 415 50/50 and added USA 1tsp.pp and it's hot throw is great too after 48 hours. I am burning one right now and the scent throw is great.I also use CD wicks,except in this one I am burning I did triple wick it with 3 csn 11's.It is a wide 22oz. jar.

I get my CBA from C&S,shipping is cheaper for me there.

Kimmeroo

Hi MWalls,

The folks over at CS are awesome! They are always willing to share their expertise on appropriate waxes. They were the first suppliers that didn't give just enough information for you to purchase another product that wasn't at least 95% effective.

I personally wouldn't recommend continuing to use EcoSoya CB Advanced. I spent a year testing and making candles with EcoSoya CB and while you get good glass adhesion, you will find the difficulty achieving "amazing" scent throws.

For the last two years, I have used CB 135 and I swear by it. I have not received not one complaint for any of the businesses I make candles for or my retail customers. I don't add any chemical fillers or dyes to my wax to achieve both cold/hot scent throw.

HTH,

Jameel

Hi MWalls,

For the last two years, I have used CB 135 and I swear by it. I have not received not one complaint for any of the businesses I make candles for or my retail customers. I don't add any chemical fillers or dyes to my wax to achieve both cold/hot scent throw.

HTH,

Jameel

Jameel,

I have started using CB 135 and get some great cold throw. I've figured out 16oz apoth's and get wonderful hot throw w/a couple of weeks cure. Even w/vanilla. But I'm having a bunch of trouble with 8oz jj and 8oz frosted tumblers. I have to practically stick my face in the jar to smell anything. Do you have any advice or words of wisdom? I'm using 6.5oz of wax, .50 fo and eco 8 wicks. I've also tried CD 10's, and w/vanilla CD 12.

TIA!!

Jameel,

I have started using CB 135 and get some great cold throw. I've figured out 16oz apoth's and get wonderful hot throw w/a couple of weeks cure. Even w/vanilla. But I'm having a bunch of trouble with 8oz jj and 8oz frosted tumblers. I have to practically stick my face in the jar to smell anything. Do you have any advice or words of wisdom? I'm using 6.5oz of wax, .50 fo and eco 8 wicks. I've also tried CD 10's, and w/vanilla CD 12.

TIA!!

Hi CandleKat,

When you're test burning these candles where are you doing it...the sq. ft. of the room? When I initially do testing on my candles, I first line all of the candles up in one room and I begin to test first on the wick. Is the wick too big or small for the style container I'm using, burn quality, etc. Once, I have completed the results on that I then test another set on scent throw. Depending on the size container I will place each one in a different area of my home. For example, the 16 oz. apothecary are double-wick and I place this in my kitchen and it scents up my entire main level which is approximately 2000 sq. ft. When I'm upstairs on the 3rd level I can smell it. My 4 & 5 oz. candles I place in the powder room, master bathroom, smaller rooms and these have scented up as well.

CandleKat, it sounds like it could be the fragrance you're using. I use to make 8 oz. jj using Eco 6 & 8 wicks with the same fragrances I currently carry and I have never experienced any problems with scent throw.

Side note: One lesson I have learned throughout this whole candle making process is not purchasing fragrance oils from a lot of different suppliers. I'm now in the process of getting my fragrances from the manufacturers but before then I was getting from CS, JS, FNWL and CW and I never ever received a bad fragrance that didn't throw in my soy candles except for one. So when you find a good fragrance supplier stick with them, especially those that test there oils in soy.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

HTH,

Jameel

When I first started making candles, I was using cba and was getting no hot throw what so ever! I switched to Cb135 and was getting a hot throw but also I was learning more on what worked. I found adding your FO at 180 gave me an awsome hot throw. You didn't say what temp you added your FO, but maybe try 180 and see if it makes a difference maybe it will help???:)

Hi CandleKat,

CandleKat, it sounds like it could be the fragrance you're using. I use to make 8 oz. jj using Eco 6 & 8 wicks with the same fragrances I currently carry and I have never experienced any problems with scent throw.

Side note: One lesson I have learned throughout this whole candle making process is not purchasing fragrance oils from a lot of different suppliers. I'm now in the process of getting my fragrances from the manufacturers but before then I was getting from CS, JS, FNWL and CW and I never ever received a bad fragrance that didn't throw in my soy candles except for one. So when you find a good fragrance supplier stick with them, especially those that test there oils in soy.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

HTH,

Jameel

Thanks so much, Jameel for the tips. I do usually test in different areas.

It may well be the fragrance. I order from Bittercreek and CS only. It's also been brought to my attention that it could be the wax, a bad batch. I've had problems w/scorching when using the vanilla's, even w/smaller wicks.

I'm curious to what you mean by getting your FO's from the manufacturers (sorry for my ignorance:o) What would the advantage be? I'm fairly new to all of this and want to tap into the wisdom and knowledge of the seasoned chandlers.

Thanks again!