Finding melt point of wax

I bought some parafin wax at Flower Factory on a whim and there is no information about the wax with it. I have mainly been using it to "firm" up my dipped critters by mixing it with my soy. I have been admiring all of the orbs and hurricane candles on here and thought of that wax. Is there a way to figure out the melt point of a wax? What can I add to the wax to make it higher mp? I have Stearic on hand and that's it for additives.

There have been a few discussions on this. I don't remember the specifics but something about melting some and measuring the temp at which it congeals and remelts might give you a general idea of the MP range.

There are additives that will raise it some, but you need to know just how much to raise it.

It may not be worth bothering. The chances that a supplier like that was selling a high MP paraffin are practically nil. It's more of a specialty material -- not the cheapest or most common stuff.

You can make shells with a lower MP paraffin but you can't use it with a significant heat source inside like another candle. Additives don't help that. They may prevent the paraffin from turning liquid at its normal melting point, but it still wants to melt at that temperature and will sag easily.

The way I would try to determine the MP of a straight paraffin is to put a bunch of chunks in a pot and warm it slowly in a water bath, stirring with a candy thermometer. Try to keep the water steady at less than a simmer and record the temp of the wax every few minutes once it gets liquid enough to stir. There will be a point where the temperature of the wax levels off until the chunks are mostly melted, then will start going up again. Once the wax is entirely melted take it off the heat and stir as it cools. The temp will go down and again will somewhat level off as the wax starts to congeal.

That point in the heating and cooling curve where the temperature change flattens out is the approximate MP of the wax.

Thanks for your replies and advice. I kinda figured that it isn't the best wax because of the source. I just thought that it would be fun to try a hurricane and want to use what I have. I'll try the melt, take temp, cool, take temp method and see what happens. Even if it is a lower mp, I guess it will be ok to use it, it will harden and form a shell, I just may not be able to put a candle inside it. HMMMMM, maybe a pencil holder, or flowers. LOL!!!

Thanks for your replies and advice. I kinda figured that it isn't the best wax because of the source. I just thought that it would be fun to try a hurricane and want to use what I have. I'll try the melt, take temp, cool, take temp method and see what happens. Even if it is a lower mp, I guess it will be ok to use it, it will harden and form a shell, I just may not be able to put a candle inside it. HMMMMM, maybe a pencil holder, or flowers. LOL!!!

You could always use the battery powered tealights ;)

The hurricane looks great! There is a somewhat easy way to find the approximate mp of wax. I had to call a wax rep a few years back to inquire about some awful wax & he said this is what the lab guys do to find mp. Melt some of the wax, bring it up to 190 or 200 degrees. Using a regular type thermometer, not sure if the digital type would work, dip into hot wax & withdraw the therm. with a drop of wax on it. This is the only tricky part, try to keep the 'drop' on the very bottom of the therm, you might have to twirl the therm. slightly. As soon as the drop congeals, read the temp, this is the mp, give or take a degree or two. At least you will know whether it is container, pillar, or hurricane wax. Works everytime. Hth

Pam R:grin2: