Mineral Veil

MoniqueD

thanks,

when I googled to find recipes, I did see them...

but noticed a bunch of recipes contain Bismuth Oxychloride which is a form of arsenic ....and I'd rather not put that on my body...

Plus I kinda wanna recipe now lol

Thanks again.

Bismuth Oxychloride Info:

Bismuth is the by-product of lead and copper refining, as well as other metals to a smaller degree. Bismuth occurs very rarely in nature. It is on the periodic table of elements under the symbol Bi at atomic number 83. It is very heavy and chemically resembles arsenic and antimony. It has a whitish/iridescent hue and has a very high shine property to it. Of all the heavy metals it is the only non-toxic. Bimsuth is a carrier for fuel in nuclear reactors. Bismuth components are used in everything from detection work, to making acrylic fibers, to safety devices in fire detection and extinguishing items, soldering, magnets and medicine as well as cosmetics. Because it is a by-product of lead refining, bismuth oxychloride should be lead free when companies begin using it in their cosmetics.

Companies use this in their cosmetics because it is cheap to buy and is an inexpensive filler. It does have binding qualities, so the makeup will "stick" to your skin, so to speak. There are other products that are just as effective at adhesion, and are better for your skin. Because of its molecular make up, it is often viewed as shiny or pearlescent. It is often sold in these two varieties. This makes it highly refractive, which is something companies want. Refraction will camouflage fine lines, wrinkles and discolorations. If you use a brand with bismuth oxychloride you'll notice a shiny look after applying the makeup. Not like oiliness, but almost shimmery. That's the bismuth oxychloride.

It's a very heavy element, which makes it difficult for many people to wear. It has to be forced into the pores (hence the buffing technique) otherwise it is capable of sliding off the wearer's face. The heaviness can result in clogged pores or irritated skin. Bismuth oxychloride often feels silky and not rough when rubbed between the fingers. Mineral makeup companies that do not use it have a lighter feeling makeup that usually blends into the skin better and with less effort.

Its molecular makeup is a crystalline shape, which may be a cause of the itchiness some women get when they wear it. Many women experience noticeable itching when they sweat. Don't forget it is also kin to arsenic, chemically. Your body will reject things it does not like, and if you'll get sick from ingesting arsenic, it would make sense that your skin would get irritated from having arsenic forced into it.

I used Bare Minerals - Mineral Veil - and loved it. This dosent contain Bismuth Oxychloride. So I went and bought some foundation and blush - which does contain Bismuth Oxychloride and my skin went dry and itchy.

I did research on Bismuth Oxychloride and found that it isn't that great of a product & that its a cheap filler. I mean, it wouldn't be the first time companies used cheap fillers in their products.

Some peoples skin can take it, mine just can't.

I could continue to buy Bare Minerals Mineral Veil, but ....I wanna be cheap too - and make my own!! :laugh2: I have a bit of a problem paying $25 + shipping for a small jar of make up.

After reading this thread, I realized when I put my new inexpensive mineral makeup my face does itch alot when I put it on. I went to check the ingredients and sure enough, bismuth. I don't know why I ignored the itching when I put it on, I guess I thought it was my imagination. I am so cheap when it comes to buying myself things that I don't pay attention:undecided . I am so careful and not cheap when it comes to things for the kids. Thanks for the info about the mineral makeup. Now off to find some new mineral makeup. I think I'm going to buy some samples from Chickie1st.

I don't see any Bismuth Ox. in this recipe. What recipe were you looking at.

This matt finishing powder is so light and transparent, that it will not settle into fine lines.

It provides a smooth, flawless complexion.

Recipe will makes as much as you desire.

Ingredients:

3 parts Sericite Mica - Matt

1 part Corn Starch

1/2 part Boron Nitride

1/2 part Zinc Stearate or Magnesium Stearate

pinches of Sparkle Gold, Pearl Pink, & Bronze Mica powders

OH gosh! I was about to rave about the powder I use from Jane Cosmetics until I went to double check the ingredients list. I am shocked!

I have been looking to make sure this item isnt' in my cosmetics, but failed to see it on this one. And such a shame as it works GREAT. I've tried quite a few powders and they don't have the staying power that Jane had (as well as the price!). Now I'm off to look for more... :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Rats, hit the wrong button after my diatribe. Bismuth is not the devil. It's placement on the periodic table of elements has nothing to do with it's nature. The typical periodic table we grew up with can be reconfigured many ways and Bismuth contains no arsenic. Actually, it does, but so do apples and they contain more. Bismuth is found in nature, but it's rare. It is formulated in a laboratory, just like every other, "natural," mineral out there. Why? Control. They aren't scraping your pigment off rusting cars, you know. :) Talc is the ONLY mined, all natural mineral and it got a really bad rap because of a craptastic study in the 80's and a couple of slow news days. It's incredibly regulated and safe, been injected in the ovaries of rats (poor rats) and no cancer. One incident with tainted Talc and we're all brainwashed into being terrified. I digress.

The problem with Bismuth is the size and shape of the mineral. It creates a lovely pearl effect, but it's large and it's shape can make some people itch like fire. I'm one of them. It's a potential irritant. On top of it, the molecule is HUGE and has to be buffed hard into the skin. Look for mineral makeup that says to really buff, and you will find Bismuth. Hard buffing with a crappy brush, or even a good brush (the best brush for mineral makeup is actually a synthetic fiber brush, Takalon. It is least damaging to skin, but you can't really buff your skin very hard with it), you can make microscopic tears in the skin. Couple that with a pointy little sucker like Bismuth and you have itches coming. It's actually not a large percent of the population that itches, but unhappy customers are more vocal than happy ones and there is a mineral makeup company advantage to say X is horrible, while A is better. Why? If you're terrified to use X, then you buy A. It's as sneaky as all get out and it's not the formulators who do this. Talk to their stupid legal departments and marketing groups. The, "all natural," movement, just like the, "chemically controlled," group both have stakes in making you afraid.

So, I have no issues with talc. I don't sell products with talc, even though it's very safe (really look at the two crummy studies and tell me if they really represent the population as a whole. Of course women who used talc got ovarian cancer. Ovarian cancer has been around since forever. It's not spiked, we just know what it is now and after WWII everyone used Talc. EVERYONE! Ovarian cancer is more detectable now, not that there is more of it).

Bismuth, I won't use, because I try to keep things below itch point and it just is a micro-tear universe of possible itch for sensitive people.

The problem is, "Everybody knows." How? Do they cite the studies? Or are we, human beings, primed to be afraid of the unknown and misunderstood? I am not saying to use Bismuth, or not. Many people like it and don't know it's in their products. Use it. It's not cancer causing. I swear.

How do I know this? I worked for years for Fortune 500 law firms as a Word trainer and saw live documents from all sorts and, I've dedicated the last two years to the study of cosmetic chemistry. Classes, chem, and cosmetic, books, every study I can get my paws on, you can track down studies here, but it requires some dedication, http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ everything I can get my hands on. I formulate and will be making my line available soon. I don't use Bismuth because of other reasons and I can't sell talc, even though it's sooooo safe now. Build an opinion. Build it yourself. Study, educate yourself. Never believe anything because, "everybody knows." Often times it's just another myth based on fear, like the crap they send you in e-mail.

One doctor sneered when asked about mineral makeup, "it's just like regular makeup with fewer ingredients." Um, DUHHH!!!! That's why I use it. I can control what's going on my face.

Bismuth can be replaced with some Boron Nitride, or Sericite Mica and Magnesium Myristrate. I keep my MM down to 3%, although you can use more. I get milia at more than 3% around my eyes. However, it makes color stick like glue and is easy to wash off. I love it. Very oily feeling, but very good at low percentages.

Having formerly used BE, and stopping due to the itch factor... I have also looked around for a more suitably priced Mineral Veil. Personally, instead of recommending Mineral Veil, I know recommend Mineral Booster by elf. I have combination oily skin prone to acne and, the Mineral Booster works just like the Mineral Veil did. Highly recommend it. It costs I thin,k $8 for the large size and elf always has coupon codes for shipping and discounts anyway. I also heard Target carries the line.

• 2 weeks later...