What kind of vehicle...

never4gotten

do those of you that do craft fairs and home parties find to be the best? I'm going to be looking at a new vehicle purchase this year and I while I have good idea what my needs are for family I haven't done either of the above in the past other than a little Saturday market with my minivan.

So what have you found to be the plus or minuses of the type of vehicle you drive?

wish I could answer that for you...we have a windstar and a full size station wagon and either are large enough for me...by the time i get all my goodies in there...there isnt room for my tables....so we end up with 2 or 3 different car loads....i could NEVER do a weekend show by myself!!!

I'm lucky and my DH has a box truck (uhaul size...the smaller one)...he uses it for work...so its perfect ...everything fits in there with alot of room.

That is hard. We had a suburban and trailblazer and didn't have enough room...but these were big shows. Then DH traded the suburban (which I still cry about) in for the Avalanche - he swears it is better for room. I don't see it for candles, but he dj's alot so it may work better for him. not me.

I guess it would also depend on the size of show you are interested in doing.

My full size Ford E-250 was the absolute best show vehicle I EVER had! Big Trudy... Oh MY, how I loved her!! Even had one of those awnings on the side over the big door... Plenty of room for stuff, kids, pets, FOOD, friends - that thing was a rollin' cruisemobile and partywagon. I felt like a turtle - taking my house with me wherever I went. She came with a 22' camper/trailer that I dearly loved, but exDH wouldn't let me trail it when he was offshore (although I did anyway...heehee). When we took the trailer, we lacked for nothing in terms of space and comfort. It was a hot setup...

But she DRANK... And when we pulled the TRAILER... oh GAWD did she DRINK... :rolleyes2

Wish I could retro a used van with an electric motor or biodiesel... that'd be the ticket for sure!

I have a Tahoe...put the back seats down and pack her to the brim. Even the passanger seat in front along with the floor in front are loaded but it all fits including tables! IF hubby happens to be home we usually pack both my Tahoe and his Chevy truck....but only beause he is going with to help unload and set up.

I'm so glad you asked, Bug now officially owns a 2004 GMC XUV bought in Aug 2004. It holds 5, but the whole back folds down and we haul lots of wax, jars and finished product. Works great for my DH & I, gets great gas mileage, only have 37m miles on it. Bug paid for it!! Carole

Thanks for all the information guys.:yay:

I hadn't even considered just getting something that could haul an enclosed trailer until one of you mentioned uhaul. A small SUV could work double duty that way being used for both smaller shows and then when needed hook up the trailer.

I just know that my minivan was packed to the gills for just the small stuff I'd already done and really didn't want to go minivan again now that the kids are finally grown. I was starting to think possibly pickup truck or full sized van but the gas mileage would be prohibitive with the current prices. Not to mention not wanting to drive one of those full time for my daily life.

We have an old 1994 Dodge Caravan long wheel-base, and with the seats pulled, we have 7 foot deep cargo space. We can't take an 8 foot table, but we have our 6-foot tables, plus a special display with removable tabletop boards, trimmed down to 7 foot each. We have 23 fragrances so far, and with tins and two glass container sizes, one case of each fragrance, all the other stuff (calculator and knucklebuster, etc), we still have plenty of room, and that's a good thing. And with a minivan, the mileage isn't too bad, considering it is a brick with wheels. HTH

We have been using my husbands Ford F150 for shows. He did have a cap on it (which was nice...everything fit great), but he got tired of trying to manuver with the top on and replaced that with the snap-on cover. It is difficult to carry everything in it (two tables, buckets of votives, melts, jars, etc.) without the cap, but we did manage to do most of our shows without having to take a second vehicle.

I ALMOST had a 15 passenger van that I think would have worked well, but it was being auctioned and I missed the deadline. That would have been sweet!!

My Santa Fe is just not big enough to get everything in.

I have a Dodge Caravan with Stow and Go seats and it rocks. Seats go into the floor and leaves the back ready to be loaded with 6'ft tables floral screens and cases of candles. I can get alot in there but there it a knack to packing it without it shifting. Thats for indoor shows. When we do outdoor its the truck F150 also with the two tents and other stands.

Ford Explorer Sport Trac ... works GREAT - good to drive otherwise also - gas mileage not too bad. We can fit tables, tent and shelving in back bed with lots of extra room and cover w/tarp if needed. Products fit in back of cab. We've trimmed down a lot on what we take to shows and now it takes us about a 1/2 hr to 45 min to load when the first show we did took almost 2 hours!!! Oh how we learn as we grow!! lol