Folding Display Shelves?

trustylady

Does anybody know where a good place is to get those folding display shelves that crafters have? My business is increasing and I need to move from just tables to shelves - I think it offers a better presentation and gives the buyer a better look at your products - but I can't find them at a low cost - I still owe money on starting my business so price is definitely a factor here. Or - does anybody know how to make them?

Thanks for any help!!!

Guest EMercier

I know the ones at gershel brothers are the cardboard ones. I backed out of the co-op that was going on a few weeks ago because they are here in the city and I would not have to pay for shipping and any other fees. It's like $20 for 5. Not too bad of a price. I have their latest catalog as well. I want to buy them for the craft show I'm trying to do next month.

Do you have a large pair of shutters? Or do you have the ability to find them at an antique store, old farm house, etc. I have seen a display before where someone took a set of two wooden shutters, screwed the two together with hinges (so it can fold flat), then you take out slats of the shutter depending on how many shelves that you want. Take a wooden board and slide it through the shutters where the slats have been taken out. It is very cool and you can change the way that it looks by painting it. I like the natural, old ones.

I am sorry this is lengthy- I will try and find a pic to post so you can see a visual.

HTH.

Guest EMercier

I like the shutter display idea. I am looking for something in addition to my table top display. Maybe I can put like a basket of small hex jars in a few baskets. I was also thinking about buying the ones for closets and cutting them down. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Unless you already have the shutters or can find them really cheap, by the time you buy those, and the wood to put in them, it would be cheaper to buy them already made up. ;)

I have a catalog that has these in there, let me see if I can find their website. :tiptoe:

Here are the shelves I made from louvered doors. DH cut the shelves for me - I'm not allowed to touch his table saw. Now I wish the shelves were longer so I could put stuff on the ends too. Doors were free and we had the wood for the shelves so the cost was right.

post-195-139458383633_thumb.jpg

Oh those are gorgeous Sharyl!! :D

I have some closet shutters that were a PITA on my daughters' closet, currently collecting dust in my garage......

They are white though :undecided , and I really LOVE that dark color of yours.

Maybe I could just paint mine black??

May I ask what color you (or hubby) stained them?

They look very classy.

So, he just removed one of the louvers where he inserted the shelf?

Thank You for all this info.I ordered some risers from GershelBros.Really my husband can build anything but for less than $28.00 worth buying these.He would never get to it.He was looking at some at a sale a lady had made BUT I thought forget it.Well looking was about all because since the show he never mentioned them.

Thanks A Bunch,

LynnS

Thanks Michi. I used up some old stain we had. Can't remember what it was. Maybe Spanish Oak. Just snipped out a louver for the shelf to slide thru. Counted twice to make sure I was snipping the right one. LOL Make sure your shelving is around 1/2" thick so it will slide thru. Got these doors a couple of year ago and have been looking for another set ever since. I usually set up by myself at shows so like the fact that they fold up and are easy to carry.

Some cool ideas ladies. Thanks! (I know I didn't start the thread, but we've been looking and looking ... except I think we should go visit Heather in Ohio and get 'em lol!)

LOL, what are you trying to tell me girl? A visit would be right, cuz these boogers are too heavy to ship (if you get a floor model that is :tongue2: )

I like some of these displays that I have seen here too! I am just a pita, and for the home shows, I like it all to fit onto one shelf! Not all customers have that much room. For craft shows, spread out, and the more the better!!!

The wooden bookcases that fold flat are on sale for $15 each at Family Dollar if any of you have one near you. They are the 3-shelf ones, not sure exactly how high they are, probably 36". I just looked in the newspaper flier and saw them so thought I would let ya'll know!