Help me warm my Palm

itsmejeffd

I just got a 50 lb pail of Palm oil (Yeah, I know. Not "green" of me.) from Columbus Foods and it's completely solid. I need to warm it up so I can mix it and separate it into 2 lb bags. During the summer, this wouldn't be an issue because I could just put it in a car in the sun. That won't work when it's cloudy and 35* to 40* outside. I've looked at pail heaters but the cheapest I've found is in the $100 range. I've tried hot water in a bath tub and a heating pad wrapped around it (not at the same time). I'm considering getting a heat gun but that probably wouldn't do it either.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas? Please help!

Yikes.

If you put just one rack in the oven at the very bottom, will the pail fit?

I'm going to say something that I know is not helpful but I can't help it. :) I just bought 50 lbs palm from CF too and I got the no-stir homogenized one. Once we start talking about 50 lb containers, hell they could charge double for the no-stir stuff and I'd still buy it (shhhh!) so as not to have to deal with this.

Won't fit in the oven even with no racks.

I talked to Mike on the phone about the Homogenized no-stir PO and he told me he wouldn't ship that to TX because it would probably be melted and leaking by the time it got to me. Would have been fine this week with the temperatures. You should have no problem in NY, Top.

You know Jeff ... I have a perfect answer for this title ... :laugh2: :laugh2:

Just to have 40 degree weather here would be optimum. So anyway, I would think the container would break your oven even if you could get it in there. I don't suppose you could melt over a furnace to be able to get it into stirring stage? Doesn't the whole batch need to be melted for full incorporation?

If not, start chunking away and melting down and add to the container that will hold your stuff that you can reheat to keep melted if necessary.

Do you have a small shower? Crank up the hot water heater, put the lid on the pail...and put that puppy in the shower (don't block the drain).

Do you know anyone who owns a restaurant? Run that pail thru a commercial dishwasher...it'll melt.

Wouldn't it fit in a regular dishwasher? Take out the rolling rack?

What kind of container is it in?

What about a blow torch?

Build a little fire pit and place it on a metal rack and then roast marshmellows while you wait....or better yet make smores. :)

Buckets? My last order of no stir palm came in a box. What a PITA.

I'm with Top on the no stir, it's so much easier. I order enough around April/May to get me through the summer months because they won't ship it after the temperature gets high... which makes no sense if they're now shipping in buckets. Humm...

Anyhoo, I've been taking mine out of the box and putting it into huge locking top bins for ease of use. I do this for just about every hard oil/butter I use including coconut oil. I like the bins and they store much easier than the original packaging.

Dumb question, but waht is the difference between plain old Palm oil and No-Stir?

Not dumb at all.

No-stir comes in a box, solid at room temperature with no separation. It's homogenized - the same all the way through with no need to mix. Just lop off what you need to use. Exactly like buying lard or tallow.

I also got boxed 92 degree coconut for the same reasons. These two ingredients make life better.

Buckets? My last order of no stir palm came in a box. What a PITA.

I'm with Top on the no stir, it's so much easier. I order enough around April/May to get me through the summer months because they won't ship it after the temperature gets high... which makes no sense if they're now shipping in buckets. Humm...

Anyhoo, I've been taking mine out of the box and putting it into huge locking top bins for ease of use. I do this for just about every hard oil/butter I use including coconut oil. I like the bins and they store much easier than the original packaging.

That's a great idea. Would you mind sharing where you purchased your bins?

Thanks,

Fire