Sink Hole in Candle

I just received some new wax for container candles. IGI-4630 Harmony Blend and I made my first candle with it but something happened.

container: 16oz Mason Jar

Wick: HTP-104(A4)

Wax: IGI-4630

FO: Vanilla Bean

I followed direction for the wax and I heat the jar prior to the pour. Everything looked good until several hours later. I noticed the center of the candle around the wick shrank slightly and a ring appeared around the wick once the next morning I test burned the candle and found out that underneath the surface there was a void.

So I melted the candle and tried again and the same thing happened. What is happening?

Randy

not sure, i check on Candle Science about the wax because i'm looking the 4630 and 4627 for my containers, it had additives, but only single pour in Candle Science at least are J223 and J50

I've also had a company tell me i could put 1.5 oz of FOper lbs into 1343wax :shocked2:

Pouring temp and room temp during cooling will affect shrinkage as well, with many waxes.

Normally the hotter the wax is, the more it's expanded, therefore the more it will shrink during cooling.

Also, if it cools VERY slowly and evenly it will still shrink but it wont be as noticeable. The canyon in the middle is encouraged when the outside hardens quickly.

Pouring temp and room temp during cooling will affect shrinkage as well, with many waxes.

Normally the hotter the wax is, the more it's expanded, therefore the more it will shrink during cooling.

Also, if it cools VERY slowly and evenly it will still shrink but it wont be as noticeable. The canyon in the middle is encouraged when the outside hardens quickly.

Good explanation Ducky! :)

I've been using 4630 for over 3 years now, and NEVER EVER have I had a "sink hole" or a hole/void of any type. That is strange! I DO get some shrinkage, but not enough to ever have to do a repour. I might just hit the tops with a heat gun to level everything out nice and smooth, but that's it.

I'm really curious as to why this happened. :confused:

I use the 4627 and this usually happens to me during the winter months. The comfort blend and the harmony blend are both supposed to be a single pour wax. I have a slight draft that comes from the kitchen window and that seems to be the culprit. I believe, in my experience, that it's the candle cooling too quickly.

I've found that if I move the candles as they are cooling to a spot that isn't effected by the draft I get no sink holes. Also, if you could lower the pour temp of your wax by 5 degrees that seems to help me as well.

HTH,

Shari

Hi Randy,

Just last week I developed a "air hole" as I call them. I poured three jars and just one had the hole. Still haven't figured it out.:confused: I use the 4630 and it does need to cool slowly. I just use a styrafoam cooler. If there is a slight dip I use my heat gun to even them out.

I just received some new wax for container candles. IGI-4630 Harmony Blend and I made my first candle with it but something happened.

container: 16oz Mason Jar

Wick: HTP-104(A4)

Wax: IGI-4630

FO: Vanilla Bean

I followed direction for the wax and I heat the jar prior to the pour. Everything looked good until several hours later. I noticed the center of the candle around the wick shrank slightly and a ring appeared around the wick once the next morning I test burned the candle and found out that underneath the surface there was a void.

So I melted the candle and tried again and the same thing happened. What is happening?

Randy

Hi Randy. I have tested this wax extensively in the past year and it is a good one-pour wax although a real bear to wick. I did have a similar problem once and determined (with help from the good people on Candletech) that I poured at too high of a temperature. Let your wax cool to about 160 and then pour. I poured at 180 once and had significant sinking. Also if the candles cool too fast you can get shrinking. Last, while the wax is cooling before the pour, the air bubbles can work their way out. Pour slowly so you don't trap any air in the wax. HTH. Coconut

I had air pockets here and there always in the winter time. I just used a knitting needle and poked the candles around the wicks and the center until I found the pockets, opended them up once I found them and did a repour. Keep in mind I was planning to do a repour anyway because I was pouring larger apothecary jars. All in all I think it is a great wax but the soot on the last 3-4 burns drives me insane! I have tested every wick known to man and no matter what I get soot. Anyone else have this issue?

What is the temperature of the wax when you pour? If it's too hot it might sink. IGI should give you a pour temp.

I also cool my container candles in a cooling box I made from styrofoam insulation. It takes 8 to 10 hours for my candles to fully cool and I get no holes. A sheet of the insulation costs about $10.00, and you can make several boxes from 1 sheet.

Fredron