How to get bath bomb halves to "stick" together?

wickchick

Okay, so I'm dabbling in bath bombs. I've got perfect halves. That being said...I have halves, LOL. I tried to get them to stick together after unmolding, but they crumbled horribly. Is there any way I can get them to stick together after they've cured, or am I out of luck? Thanks guys :)

Thanks guys, that's what I figured. I used the meatballer, but just did the halves. I think I'm going to try a silicone tray type shaped mold and see if that works a little better. I'm just thrilled I got perfect halves, LOL. I may give it one more whirl with the meatballer and see if I can cram the halves together. Thank you guys!

The trick with the meat ballers or any 2 part mold is to pack both halves in really tight and then add some extra mixture before closing the mold. When you close the mold be sure to press it very firmly together without twisting the 2 halves.

This is what works for me so maybe it will help.

I bought a snow ball maker from Kmart that I plan on trying out. I usually just use the 2 part plastic ornament things and stuff a bit extra in the middle like fghtoffancy said. Some times that works, sometimes it doesn't, so I'm hoping that the snowball maker will be better. I'm not sure if you only want round balls, but the "tap a mold" from RJ's is great for making bath tablets if you don't mind the shape!

Sorry I can't help with after they are in halves and dry...

BUT when making them, do what Fancy said...do not twist at all as you press...overfill both halves of your ball mold and press together hard (at this point, I wipe away some of the excess that squeezes out)...holding the ball together, tap one side gently on the counter then carefully remove the top of the mold, then 'wiggle' (again gently - don't ya love the word wiggle???) the entire bomb into your hand and place it on your parchment paper or paper bag to dry.

If they fall apart when you are removing, quickly put back into your bowl or pan, spritz lightly with witch hazel and try remolding. If that fails, ah heck...just grind 'em up, bag 'em and sell as fizzies!:yay:

I bought a snow ball maker from Kmart that I plan on trying out. I usually just use the 2 part plastic ornament things and stuff a bit extra in the middle like fghtoffancy said. Some times that works, sometimes it doesn't, so I'm hoping that the snowball maker will be better. I'm not sure if you only want round balls, but the "tap a mold" from RJ's is great for making bath tablets if you don't mind the shape!

Could you let us know how that snow ball maker works for you? I am having a heck of a time with my bath bombs in the ornament molds.

If that fails, ah heck...just grind 'em up, bag 'em and sell as fizzies!:yay:

This reminded me of a product I recently seen while browsing on Amazon. They were selling a plastic jar of what they called '...blasted or crumbled bath bombs.' Supposedly they WERE bath bombs, but they INTENTIONALLY crumbled them for your convenience....:rolleyes2 Yeah right, whatever, lol. Genius way to market your crumbs though, I gotta give it to them for that. I suppose in a round about way it could be the result of crumblage from the production process. (aka bottom of the bowl and drying rack crumbs)

My tip is the same as has already been mentioned... definitely overfill and when you put them out to dry, try to set them so that one half is on top of the other as opposed to each on their end.

Thank you guys so much. After my third batch, I mastered it! I'm so thrilled (who knew that something so little could make you so happy!). I ended up overfilling and tapping gently and viola! nice little round bath bombs. Some cracked a bit, but I do have a few nice ones! Thank you guys for all your help and suggestions!

I do like the idea of "bath crumbles". Hmmm....might have to give those out as "samples". I have a "Ugly Bin" on my website, so I can always stick the not so perfect bombs in there for a discounted price, heee heee.

Thank you again for all your wonderful suggestions and help!

If you will replace 1/2 of your corn starch with kaolin clay it will help with the cracking. The last time I made them, I set them on freezer paper but put a folded up towel under the paper for padding and they didn't come out with a flat spot on them.

I have two snow ballers that I got from e-bay and I hate them, they are to bulky to work with and your would really have to have a lot of mixture in a deep bowl for them to work. My grandson is getting them to play in the snow with. I love the plastic 2 part ornament molds from Coastal Scents they are so much faster to work with. At least they are for me.