What wax to use to get Crackle look in pillars?

I don't make pillars but I found this in the archives:

Get an ice bucket ready. A pitcher with ice and cold water works well. Make sure there is room for the candle to move. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Turn off. Dip the pillar a few times. Plunge into the ice bath and weight it so it's held down for 5 minutes or so. Take out and you're done. :wink2:

Hope this helps! Kimmeroo

I tried this: made a pillar candle as I normally would, after candle has completely cooled in mold, put in freezer for 15 mins or longer---I had a tall pillar, about 3x9, it took about 25 mins---then unmold, the candle will have a crackeled look to it. :)

I tried this: made a pillar candle as I normally would, after candle has completely cooled in mold, put in freezer for 15 mins or longer---I had a tall pillar, about 3x9, it took about 25 mins---then unmold, the candle will have a crackeled look to it. :)

If you're not very careful you'll have one that's cracked into pieces, not to mention moisture inside the cracks.

The crackled look is usually just on the very outside layer so as not to damage the integrity of the candle. A quick hot water dip only softens the surface so the cold water cracks only that.

Where's Donita when ya need her? :confused::cheesy2:

some of the weird things I've found when figuring this out. A mottling wax works better than a preblended wax. (even with additives, 4625 didn't crackle as well as 1343 with UA or vybar and steric didn't matter) Maybe it the cut of the wax who knows I'm not a wax expert I just know what I saw.

Play with the temp of the hot water, with my wax I want it between 175 and 180, no higher than 180 or it wrecks the look of the candle.

Cold, cold, water with lots of ice and yes let it sit for 5 minutes.

Play around using the votives 1st and find what works best for you before moving on to the pillars.

Karen B

If you're not very careful you'll have one that's cracked into pieces, not to mention moisture inside the cracks.

The crackled look is usually just on the very outside layer so as not to damage the integrity of the candle. A quick hot water dip only softens the surface so the cold water cracks only that.

Where's Donita when ya need her? :confused::cheesy2:

Absolutely :) I am very careful, so far, I've had no problems with this method, but I'm always open to other suggestions:)

Shocking the candle from hot to cold it was causes it to crackle. Just about any wax that I have tried works. I usually use a straight paraffin with some stearic. I had to experiment for 4 years (not all the time....just once in awhile) before I got the wax to do what I wanted it to do. It's also a good way to fix a candle that doesn't come out looking just fabulous. I gave a box full to my niece for Christmas and at the airport they had to examine them .....I guess a candle could look like a fuse for a bomb or something. Anyway....they all loved the look. My candles were a hit with security....lol.....Donita