How do they this?

I've seen these candles from time to time but I can't seem to find one in person to get an edge on how this effect is created. Im assuming the wax is placed on the ball in this pattern but how to they get the metallic look and all? Plus I don't think it's re-dipped into wax so how do they keep it so sharp? Any ideas gang? :)

post-314-139458383519_thumb.jpg

only possible that i personally could think of was this paint/dye/something i read about somewhere...it floats on top of water so you get a bucket of water and spin the candle by the wick into and out of the bucket of water after you have a design of paint floating in the bucket...and you get a swirly type design

but i have no idea if it doesnt look like its just paint on there..

Ha! Ya'll are geniuses!:D I would of never thought of paint!! Vec, I know what your talking about, it's called magic dip & way back when I tried that on a pillar. What a mess that was, lol! Everything but the candle had oil based dye on it....the bucket, the counter, the floor, my hands :grin2:

Hey.... I DID IT! I tried to post it about a week ago, but with my computer dinked up like it is, it dont show the button that attaches pics anymore. :( . I made 2 of them and the 1st one was crude, the 2nd one looks kinda neat, but not 100% like the pic... it would take a few more to get it like the picture but this is for sure close to the look they have. If I can, tonight I will switch the pic to my usb harddrive, hook up the phone line to the laptop, plug in the laptop to the usb, dial up, with luck log on to CT and post a pic! LOL Oh and remember the flash on my camera screwed up too!!! LOL Check back here later tonight. Bruce

LOL Well, my guess is that to produce a large amount of them that they are extruded candles.... have you seen the candy cane candles that swirl with 2 colors? Thats how I think they are made.... and thats not saying that I can get something like that with a electric cookie press, but thats the general idea. My way will give you close to the look, but just take longer to do and they have to be hand shaped so thats not easy to get them right looking. I did a teardrop shape which started as a rectangule with 4 cuts made from 3/4 of the way down to the top middle. Confused now ??? I think the originals are like palm wax because in these small pics you can see it, but there is a cool grain crystal pattern like palm has. (think its palm that does that) Bruce

You probably aren't doing it the same way but boy or boy do you have a great looking candle....I just can't figure out how in the world you do that.....and guess what.....I'm not even going to try.....that is your job. You obviously have a great talent for carving wax.....not everyone can do that. Hats off to you.....I can hardly wait to see more of your work!!!!!!! Donita

Yep, Im sure they dont sit there and carve and hand shape them, but im also sure they are not painted. I have seen them in person and the color is deeper than paint.Here is a pic of a extruded candle made by dadant, which is about 60 miles up river from me. One of the guys that worked on the extruders years ago was a employee of a mall that i worked at when I carved candles and he told me alot about the extruders. CRAP I still cant post pics!!! OK her is a link, look about the bottom of the page and you will get the idea of what can be done with extruded candles. Cool stuff! http://www.dadant.com/decorative/holiday.html

Wow Bruce, those are beautiful! Your talent is amazing. Before I read these posts I broke out w/ the paints & tried that. You would need alot of coats to get that look. Looks like I'll be carving up some wax this weekend:D That would be a great addition to the techniques & idea board.