Fundraiser Samples

Oceangazer1

I'm asking questions about my first fundraiser because the search function does NOT work for me since the change in the site. I also have to log in at every turn! I digress, after reading 25 pages looking for my answer and NOT finding it, I'm alittle MIFFED.

Anyway, I will have about 40 kids selling. What is the least expensive way to give samples to the kids for the customers? I was thinking tarts, but will they hold up well? I'm going to do 8 scents. Please don't leave the candle cauldron link for me. I have it. But any Personal experience you have had with fundraisers would be most helpful to me. Thanks a bunch!!

Personally I don't think I would send samples as I have never had a fundraiser for candles with samples.

However!

If I did....it would not be portion cups or baggies. They would be packaged nicely to entice the buyer that they are dealing with a classy company to support whatever organization.

But maybe that is just me.

Presentation means alot.

Presentation usually does mean a lot, however when it comes to kids and fundraisers, most folks (parents, relatives, neighbors, co-workers) will order regardless, because they feel guilty if they don't; plus they know they'll be hitting you up some time in the future too.

You could give each kid one candle to use as a sample, but 40 candles is a lot, plus if they're younger kids you don't want them handling glass. You could probably use those small tins that people use for lip balms. That would be a good size, is inexpensive, and sturdier than plastic cups. But, do you think kids would lose them?

I agree with others, that it would be uncommon for kids to actually have samples, but if you think that would be beneficial, go for it.

I'll give my two cents............I started out doing fundraisers with free samples. I used the 1 oz portion cups and filled them with how many participants that there were. While I feel that these helped somewhat in someone choosing a scent that they wanted to buy, it really backfired on me when it came down to cost and time. I literally had to pour 100's of samples and then label them. None of my fundraisers ever gave me the two weeks that I asked for in their contract to do the samples. It was always that they wanted to start in 2-3 days and I would end up staying up and pouring these at all hours for them to get ready. I then would print out all of their materials on cardstock. And, finally, package them in bags for each one of them. I tacked on 50 cents to the fundraiser candles to cover the costs. This way okay until I was doing much better at fundraisers and had to pour fundraiser samples for a group and then also pour other fundraisers at the same time. Then, my repeat fundraisers started to get bigger and bigger in participants. They would request 100 sample bags and then 25 would sell. Not only did I not get the bags back but I never made the money back on the samples that I gave for free from the others that sold. Also, the fragrance will eventually eat through the portion cups or escape after a prolonged period of time. I now do everything by email. They get all of their forms, etc., by email and they print them off. If they were not serious, they wouldn't do it. I still do offer samples now but they have to pay for them at wholesale price. I use the 1.5 oz hex jars. And, I tell them that it will be at least a week or two for them to get them. My time with my family is just as precious as theirs is. That was worth way more to me. Like I said though, just my two cents. :D

Personally, I do not volunteer or offer samples. I DO offer a description of each of my scents that I'm offering. There was only one occassion where I did tarts (small tarts) for samples because the organization wanted to know how they smelled. They were given back to me at the end of the sale as well. But this was for a college organization who needed to have sniffies for the instructors and it was at their request. I didn't offer it, but when they asked, I made tarts for them to use. Worked ok but I don't know if I will do that again. Most cases I don't offer nor volunteer the scents.......I mean come on when the school's do fundraisers the children aren't packing around a small sample of every item are they?

Before my first fundraiser I questioned whether samples were needed, and how to effectively keep my costs down. I received such great responses to the samples that I continued using them. I did not offer typical scents (apple pie, vanilla, etc) so a sample helped with scent selection.

If I did a large size fundraiser for an entire school, I probably would NOT offer samples, but my fundraisers have been small 15-20 people selling at a time. This was my first year and it was fairly successful for fundraising and wholesale accounts. (Have to start somewhere).

I've done it both ways and I sell WAY more with samples. I do clear tealight cups (no wick) and package them in 3x3 poly zip bags from gb bag (they're the cheapest). I print off an order form and put the whole thing in a zip bag (from the same place, but not the polypro, the cheaper ones, I think I used the 6x9 ones). It does take a while to pour and label and package all those samples, but it is so worth it for me. I do list a minimum order (1 candle per student) to make sure my cost gets covered. Like I said, I've done it both ways and sell 3 or 4 times more with the samples.

I give the groups some actual candles, and bill them my portion of the sales. I do a 50/50 split on a jar candle, they sell it for $12, so I bill them $6. I tell them to keep the jars, pay for it, but use it to fill orders. So, if I give them one jar in each scent, they order 1 less of each scent when they hand in the master order. Does that make sense? I'm not very good at explaining things. Anyways, they can order owever many they want. Works great.

Cool Deal! Thanks for all the help. I'm going to send them samples as this is for my niece and nephews Christian school. I have a list of scents that I'm thinking about...remember this is for the Fall. Here is the list. PLease let me know what you think and if I should change anything.

1) Oh Christmas Tree

2) Spiced Cranberry

3) Christmas Spice (Cinnamon Spice)

4) Homemade Apple Pie

5) Spicy Apples & Peaches

6) Lavender

7) Fresh Linen

8) Gingerbread Cookies

Cool Deal! Thanks for all the help. I'm going to send them samples as this is for my niece and nephews Christian school. I have a list of scents that I'm thinking about...remember this is for the Fall. Here is the list. PLease let me know what you think and if I should change anything.

1) Oh Christmas Tree

2) Spiced Cranberry

3) Christmas Spice (Cinnamon Spice)

4) Homemade Apple Pie

5) Spicy Apples & Peaches

6) Lavender

7) Fresh Linen

8) Gingerbread Cookies

Just my 2 cents but it does seem like you have a lot of spicy scents. for fall that may be good, yet if I could make one suggestion it would be to offer a vanilla scent. I, personally am a vanilla person and I don't see any of those scents that I would buy myself but I would buy any vanilla scent if there was one to choose from especially since this is for a school organization.

Just my 2 cents but it does seem like you have a lot of spicy scents. for fall that may be good, yet if I could make one suggestion it would be to offer a vanilla scent. I, personally am a vanilla person and I don't see any of those scents that I would buy myself but I would buy any vanilla scent if there was one to choose from especially since this is for a school organization.

Your right!! I should have a Vanilla! Should I do Warm Vanilla Sugar(the only vanilla I can stand) :) or more of a straight vanilla? Thank you for your opinion. I will probably omit the Spiced Cranberry or Cinnamon Spice.

Have you thought of using lip balm pots? That way they have a lid to avoid scent mixing. Pretty easy for the kids to pack around and wouldn't take much wax per sample.

Something like this http://www.rusticescentuals.com/images/bottles/3nlRndWht.jpg

Yes those are Very nice, but need something more economical. ;) I have an adorable Pixie tart and also heart molds that I may make small tarts out of for samples. I think they will make an adorable, yet professional statement.

Well COOL! Just found out I'm doing their Spring fundraiser too!! Yahoooo!!

OK, this will be a fast one, so need advise again in scents. Spring/Easter type.

I have:

Cool Citrus Basil

Key Lime Pie

Cactus & Sea Salt

Wildberry Crisp

Sweet Pea

Lavender

Perfect Peach

Strawberry Preserves

Vanilla Bean & Boysenberry

Love Spell, could rename it.

Sun Washed Linens

Should I do a plain Vanilla also? I think I forgot a couple!

Need to pick 8. PLease help me decide. Thank you!! :D

OK, this will be a fast one, so need advise again in scents. Spring/Easter type.

I have:

Cool Citrus Basil

Key Lime Pie

Cactus & Sea Salt

Wildberry Crisp

Sweet Pea

Lavender

Perfect Peach

Strawberry Preserves

Sun Washed Linens

I hate Vanilla...but really need to add it to my line....because sooo many people ask for it.

So to answer your question...I would do a plain vanilla.

The number of fund raising participants determines if I make samples or not. If it is under 25, then usually I will make samples. I pour in clear tea light containers and put these into 3X3 zip top bags. I use a clear label and put my company information and the sent. I also put a warning on the label against trying to put the sample on a warmer.

I have a friend that does fundraisers and is very successful at it.

She has never given samples of any kind. I've never seen a fundraiser for candles even here that someone had samples to sniff. Perhaps it is logistics.

It's gotta be lol. We sent actual candles to someone considering doing one for a women's group so they could see the uniqueness of the candle as well as get an idea of the scent.

Really not sure that's what I want to do, but they asked for samples.

I have:

Cool Citrus Basil

Key Lime Pie

Cactus & Sea Salt

Wildberry Crisp

Sweet Pea

Lavender

Perfect Peach

Strawberry Preserves

Sun Washed Linens

When I plan for my fragrance list for FR's, I try to choose a nice variety, including: clean, spicy, fruity, flowery, unique and sometimes a bit risque <sp> (i.e., Monkey Farts, Butt Naked, etc.)

This has worked very well for me.

Good luck and congratulations!