Managemore Inventory Control Software

kdmorgan

Thanks AW I went in and tried to change the category that I had assigned to those goods and now there aren't any other choices other than Supplies and Add New in the drop down. Am I going to have to delete them all and start over? Please tell me that there is a way to get around that.I would also be interested in your category classifications if you don't mind sharing. I have a heck of a time figuring out what to call them, and what to put in them. Thanks again for all your help.

Sadly you will have to start over.

I made templates for everything, and when i say everything i mean everything right down to a template for the hand towels. Once you get a template created things go a lot smoother. I had to reenter the 200 items for the DW side of the store and then all my candle stuff after i bought the program and registering it wiped the database.

As far as Departments all candle stuff falls into the Candle Category of Ivy Rune (I think), this includes the manufactured candles and candle supplies like holders

Categories (will miss a few as i'm not look at the program but this will get you started)

Testers

Wicks

Wax

Scented Wax

Scents (FOs)

Containers (includes lids)

Candle Packaging

Additives

Tools (spoons, towels, presto pot, wick setter etc.)

Handmade Candles

Before you start entering items sit down and think of how you want it organized, because you can set your view in SuperInventory for sorting purposes. I found myself make categories as i was making templates and making templates as i was adding inventory because i forgot something.

If you are going to print barcode labels then i suggest using only # for the SKU (Set that up in template) I'm not so my SKU starts with the first 3 letters of the category.

I guess this all boils down to planning how you want things to look and organized before you start. Take a look at all the tabs when creating a template and or inventory item. The Retail price is your list price to the customer, the other 3 prices on the left side are your cost and that get’s filled in when you put in purchase orders.

I’m still debating on going back to QuickBooks for the money side and just use Inventory Transfers when we sell something. Simply because not having a separate business bank account.

Also if you use the GL make sure in the templates or items you add the GL information, this helps a LOT when it's tax time. I took the #s that the product template had and used them.

I'm just guessing here, but if you did an inventory at YE, wouldn't your categories be the same as those used for inventory? It looks to be true based on those you remembered. Now, I wonder if I can import from Excel? This is going to be fun (NOT!)

So since I need to start over again, where would you suggest I start. Should start with entering inventory from my year end totals? Or with entering my purchases from the begining of the year? Or.....?I'm really going to have to do some thinking about the categories. You have a testers categoy. Is that considered "scrap" ?And wouldn't containers fall under candle packaging?I'm just trying to understand better so that I can know to set up my own categories more efficiently :)

I'm just guessing here, but if you did an inventory at YE, wouldn't your categories be the same as those used for inventory? It looks to be true based on those you remembered. Now, I wonder if I can import from Excel? This is going to be fun (NOT!)

I guess i'm adding more info then needed at the moment sorry.

The GL accounting stuff i'm talking about is on the accounting tab in the inventory/template creation window. I'm using that and adding the cost or the goods because it will give you a total at year end what your cost is for all your inventory. Remember Raw Goods and Finished Product are different from supplies. The GL accounting info will list them as seperate lines when you print the reports.

You can import from Excel, but i ended up hand entering everything because it didn't create the categories.

So since I need to start over again, where would you suggest I start. Should start with entering inventory from my year end totals? Or with entering my purchases from the begining of the year? Or.....?I'm really going to have to do some thinking about the categories. You have a testers categoy. Is that considered "scrap" ?And wouldn't containers fall under candle packaging?I'm just trying to understand better so that I can know to set up my own categories more efficiently :)

Testers are R&D and listed as such in my GL for tax purposes. i treat the R&D as if it were a damaged or broken item from DW side of the store. In other words(lacking better term) capital loss.

Scrap i'm still tweaking and it's making me nuts...The book doesn't explain it so i can wrap my head around it.

Containers are the tins, jars, and tealight cups we pour the wax into

Packaging is the shrinkwrap, white boxes, tealight tubes and such.

I would create the categories and templates first then enter year end inventory, then enter the new invoices.

What you might do is start with say scents create your category then a template for scents and do all your scents

then move on to molds make a catagory called molds and a supply template called molds and enter all molds.

and go on till you have all of the inventory put in.

I'm suggesting templates because all you need to do is hit the drop down it'll fill out the department and category for you, and all the accounting info, if you turn on the auto generate SKU option in the template it'll create the SKU for you, it becomes brainless for entering inventory with a template :D

Sorry to be such a pest......but,are raw goods Tangible or Intangible Inventory? Honestly this whole inventory thing muggles my mind. I really don't know how I've managed to run a business for almost 7 years without knowing all of this. I've always just counted my stuff and put it on a spread sheet.

I see tangable and intangable as this

Tangable - able to touch it and hold it in your hand.

Intangable - anything you can't touch IE a software license, E-mailed Gift Certificate.

Ok, that's what I was thinking too. But I wasn't sure if they were dividing them as retail goods that you sell, like finished goods (tangible) and materials (intangible).Thanks again AW, I'll try not to bug you for a while ;)I plan to download the PDF book but I don't have a printer hooked up to this PC yet.

Looks like I'm gonna have to buy the book. I need to do a price quote for someone and I can't figure out how to do it. I've enter all the inventory needed for this particular quote. But I can't figure out how to find the BOM. So, I tried to do a sales quote, but it won't do anything but even numbers. Is there anyway to set it up so that I can do smaller amounts of ingredients used? Like say .008 oz. of a preservative? I need to figure costs of a particular product in a 4 oz. size for a wholesale account. Anyone have any luck doing this?Thanks!!

yes it's in the setup and i'm out of town this week so i can't tell you exactlly where sorry :undecided I know i found the aswer to that quetion on the message boards for managemore.

The BOM is under created in

Lists --> Inventory --> Manufaturing --> Inentory Assemblies

The tab is in that inventory area

then you put it together using a work reciept

Looks like I'm gonna have to buy the book. I need to do a price quote for someone and I can't figure out how to do it. I've enter all the inventory needed for this particular quote. But I can't figure out how to find the BOM. So, I tried to do a sales quote, but it won't do anything but even numbers. Is there anyway to set it up so that I can do smaller amounts of ingredients used? Like say .008 oz. of a preservative? I need to figure costs of a particular product in a 4 oz. size for a wholesale account. Anyone have any luck doing this?Thanks!!

I'm struggling like you through this. Try this:

Setup > Accounting > Inventory

On that page you can set how many decimal places you want for accuracy. By setting those to 2 decimal places I was able to put in quantities of less than 1.

I too use a few Depts. and lots of categories. I have a template for every item used in the manufacture of candles. it does make things easier to do later.

Now just trying to figure out how to account for R&D.

yes it's in the setup and i'm out of town this week so i can't tell you exactlly where sorry :undecided I know i found the aswer to that quetion on the message boards for managemore.

The BOM is under created in

Lists --> Inventory --> Manufaturing --> Inentory Assemblies

The tab is in that inventory area

then you put it together using a work reciept

Are you saying you create your assemblies from the work receipts? I created all mine ahead of time so I just need to select mine from the work order or receipt and it fills in all the information. Guess it's not saving any steps doing it either way.

Are you saying you create your assemblies from the work receipts? I created all mine ahead of time so I just need to select mine from the work order or receipt and it fills in all the information. Guess it's not saving any steps doing it either way.

Set the decimal places to the max i think 4 on a couple and 3 on the last.

nope it looks like you do what i do, assembly then work receipt(skip the work order it's not important)

What i actually do is make the candle, make notes then create the scented wax from those notes, then make the candle using the scented wax.

Votives Pillars and Tarts i weight and then divide.

IE 10 Votives weight 20oz i divide the 20 so in the votive assembly i use 2oz wax then i make 20 in the work receipt.

Hope i didn't confuse you.

lol, no you didn't confuse me. I just finished with all my assemblies. Man was that a lot of work. I just got an order for a few candles off my website so I printed out a work receipt to test things out and it looks like it's going to work fine the way I have it setup.

The test will be at the end of the year when I have to inventory everything and meet with the accountant. Fun fun :shocked2:

one more question. I have been trying to figure out how to create a template to account for R & D. I know it has to be written off as an expense, but I can't figure out how to do this in a template?

You don't add it to inventory since your using it, but some how I need to deduct it from inventory. It would be a pain to have to create assemblies for R & D too.

How do you do it, if you don't mind sharing?

Okay what i did was inder miscellanies taxes I created a R&D, and Candle Samples category (5221, 5222 respectively) then under the adjustment GL on the accounting tab is where i put thone of the #'s. so when i do the inventory adjustment it goes into the proper place.

So it's added to my inventory then adjusted out with the R&D reason code.

Okay what i did was inder miscellanies taxes I created a R&D, and Candle Samples category (5221, 5222 respectively) then under the adjustment GL on the accounting tab is where i put thone of the #'s. so when i do the inventory adjustment it goes into the proper place.

So it's added to my inventory then adjusted out with the R&D reason code.

That makes sense. Wasn't sure how to do that, but that works. Thanks for the info.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...