Scale from Amazon.com??? Suggestions?

blazerina

Hi all... I'm ready to buy my first scale!

I did a search to see what the most recommended scale was, what to look for in a scale, etc...

What I found mostly was recommendations for a company or two that are quite specific- where as I have an Amazon.com gift card I'd like to spend. I'd be willing to pay up to $40 but I'm not sure I really need to. I do things in small amounts at a time so I don't need anything large capacity.

In the search results I did find a few recommendations for a My Weigh brand scale but the Amazon site has two reviews for this... One ok, one really bad.

Does anybody have anything more specific to the Amazon site that they can recommend?

Also, there were a few who purchased theirs from Wal-mart. I'd be willing to spend my own cash (rather than the gift card) if I could look at it and feel it before I buy, lol. I'm wondering if I could get more details on these ones- such as the brand names, etc.

All info welcomed.

TIA - so much!

Do you need grams or just pounds and ounces?

I bought the KD-7000 and so far it's doing a good job. It does grams, kilos & grams, ounces and pounds and ounces. I think it goes up to 30lbs or something. Way more than I need.

I also have a postal scale that I bought at the post office for $35 and it's a good scale, it just doesn't measure in grams and the tare feature doesn't work well. I have to shut it off then turn on for it to tare.

I had a digital scale that I bought at Wal-Mart and it only measured up to 2lbs. I make 3-5lb batches so I gave it to my sister for baking and M&P soap making.

HTH

KD-7000 here too and I got mine from Amazon. I can tell you I was afraid to pay a lower price because I thought it would be broken or something. I got mine for 27 dollars instead of 44 and read the reviews and was scared too, but just ordered it and am happy I did. I think this scale gets a bad wrap from people because they don't know how to use a scale.

First off I've seen people say the weights very. They don't if you keep the cover as low as possible, that protects the readout. If you have that thing all the way up, I notice I get different weights.

Also people claim it was dead out of box. They failed to remove the tab from the battery compartment, that saves the batteries that are shipped with it.

I didn't get the power cord, but will some day. I've used it a lot already, just in cooking. Love this scale.

Are you using this dual purpose?

Meaning candles and B&B. If just for B&B, get a gram scale from eBay.

They are around 13.00 or less with shipping, and hold a little more than one pound.

Small and easy to store, LOVE mine for certain ingredients and for lye with small batches of soap.

I would also recommend Old Will Knott.

I've purchases a few scales from him- not because they were broken. Because I trashed them with wax and FO. LOL! :shocked2:

I have an Escali, 13 lb. that I bought about 3-4 years ago. When I first started making B&B products I was using a 1 quart glass pyrex bowl and the weight of the bowl along with the ingredients messed up the digital calculator, although I now have a procedure I use to calculate my ingredients. I have calibrated it with 5 quarters, so it is accurate and still useable.

Next scale I purchase may be a larger capacity scale and one that weighs in tenths for grams as well as ounces. This only weighs in 1/10 ounces. I do have the adopter also. Good luck :)

This is the exact Amazon store I got my my weigh kd-7000 from. http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=olp_offerlisting_1?ie=UTF8&me=A3FF7JBZJ31X4M It didn't come with the power cord, but other places it doesn't come with it either. You have to pay extra for it. I bought my scale from Amazon seller Quick Supply. They are a company that has their own website as well but it seems like the products they have on Amazon are better priced. http://www.quicksupply.net/

I researched what scale to buy extensively. The my weigh kd-7000 has a plastic guard that protects the readout that flip up, so it won't be ruined by wax, fo or other soaping and candle making stuff. It also has a protector under that protector as well that is removable also in case you don't want to use the flip up one. I found the scale's common price to be 44 dollars without shipping, and the adapter cord to be commonly 6 dollars. That meant I was going to have to spend 64 dollars with shipping, for a scale. I hunted a while for the best price and found that Amazon store. They had the scale I wanted for 27 dollars. New. I was afraid it was going to be broken or something, but it turned out that the box had a corner dented in. It didn't affect the product at all. So, with shipping I paid a total of 35.49 for the scale. They have a few on their Amazon store right now, new, that are going for 31.00. Add 8 dollars for shipping and it's still a good deal. I was afraid the scale was going to be a mistake, being able to get it for so cheap, I wondered why it was so cheap. It turned out it must have been because the box was crinkled in the corner and they consider that unacceptable to send at full price.

I use this scale in the kitchen for cooking too. Used it tonight to weigh some rice. It's a pretty cool scale and has tare, gram, ounce, pound, you name it. There is a place to plug in the wall adapter in back, and one day will pick one up. It has an auto off feature and shuts off when you're not using it, so batteries don't get drained.

Got this from Old Will Knot's:

My Weigh 7001DX - Silver - Digital Postal Scales / Kitchen Scale

Weight Capacity: 15.5lb x 0.1oz

Weighing Modes: g, oz, lb, kg

clear.gif

My Weigh 7001DX Silver has a 7000g capacity with 1g resolution and weighs in lb/oz, lb, g, and kg. This scale has a programmable auto-off, adjustable angle backlit display, hold/tare features, and includes a shipping tube cradle, letter holding attachment, weighing container, and three AA batteries.

Great scale and less than $35.

If your not familiar with the tare function, what it does is it allows you to turn the scale on and then put your bowl or container on it and push a button and it zeros out the comtainer allowing only your ingredients to be measured. Very handy, especially if your using different size bowls of different weight.

clear.gif

^^^^

The one I have from eBay measures in a few different increments it's actually classified as a jewelers scale. It holds a bit over a pound, I use it for lotion making and lye when I do a two lb batch. Must be precise~ IMO. Best 12.00 I ever spent. Love this thing.

Oh - the answer to my question is simple.

I was playing with you. 454 grams- 1 lb- equals 2 cups of butter. :wink2:

:smiley2: Thanks for the replies everyone. Hope everyone is enjoying their New Years celebrations.

I wanted to go with Amazon to use a Gift Card and save the cash. I also am thinking that a jewelry scale is in fact what I need... or rather... one of the ones I'll be needing, lol. I don't want to have two scales, but the 'Jewelry' type which I think I'd want for preservatives and the small batches of stuff that I make anyways, makes most sense... BUT... on the other hand, I don't really want to be limited to 1 or 2 lbs. But I'm sure I could just weigh separately and double up or triple up kind of thing???

My main use would be BB & FO for tarts. I did see one on Amazon that I liked for $29.00. It was a Salter (?) that converted grams to Oz's and let you set it to zero AFTER you add a bowl or container (same thing as tare) I can't recall how much it held though. Seems like it was 5lbs....?? Not sure. But it has good reviews (even by some soapers so that made me feel good, lol)

I'd have bought it by now if I hadn't had more than the $29 that I needed to use up on the GC, lol. Man... a person could shop (and read) FOR-EV-ER on that site!

Thanks again so much everyone. :D

i recommend sneaking into your nearest lab and stealing their scale!

I work in lab at hospital and I use a scale a lot when mixing stuff up--and I have contemplated stealing it--would anyone really notice??

next time they go to weigh a specimen and think............hmmmmmmmmm

where did the scale go?