Which is easy hot or cold press

soapnewbie

Cold process is less time-consuming up front, and there are fewer steps. I'd go for that one first, then tackle hot process once you get the feel for CP. Just my opinion, of course, but then I'm usually RIGHT. :laugh2: (Kidding.)

Layers in CP? Just wait until the first layer is thick enough to bear the weight of the first and gently put your second layer on top. :) Soap thickens as it sits, so it usually doesn't take too long.

Happy soapmaking!

Cold process is less time-consuming up front, and there are fewer steps. I'd go for that one first, then tackle hot process once you get the feel for CP.

I agree - I hate doing hot process and only do it when I have to (transparent soap or cream soap), otherwise its CP for me! I can do a batch of CP in 1/2 hour. HP is at LEAST an hour (usually more) of cooking...and thats not including the measuring , etc.

Ok, I'll go opposite on this. I actually think HP is easier. I don't have to stand stickblend or stir so long, don't worry about temperatures or finicky FO's. I just mix it all together stick blend utnil I'm sure I have a good emulsion then throw in the oven and foget about it for awhile. Stir it every so often until done then throw in my extras and plop it in the mold!:D

It took me longer to master CP, I'm rather impatient.:o

I do both now depending on what soap I'm making!

Ok, I'll go opposite on this. I actually think HP is easier. I don't have to stand stickblend or stir so long, don't worry about temperatures or finicky FO's. I just mix it all together stick blend utnil I'm sure I have a good emulsion then throw in the oven and foget about it for awhile. Stir it every so often until done then throw in my extras and plop it in the mold!:D

I am with you 100%!

I've done both and find that CP is much easier for me. I've found that it also gives me the best results when it comes to coloring, swirling, layering etc...

Of course, you'll have to try both to find out which works best for you. Both have their pros and cons, but only you can be the judge of which pros and cons you are comfortable with. :cool2:

Some people like to do it the HP way because of misbehaving F/O's, but if you want to make sure your CP experience goes as smooth as possible, you can virtually eliminate the potential misbehaving F/O problem by looking on the ScentReviewBoard beforehand to see which F/O's have a good reputation for not accelerating.

I do CP using a 33% or higher lye solution and it goes quickly and smoothly for me, provided my F/O is not a known accelerator. It's very unusual if my soap takes more than 15 or 20 minutes to come to a heavy trace for me. Ten minutes seems to be the average, but sometimes it's a little less than that.

I only HP if I'm going to use very tempting F/O that is a known accelerator. I make sure that those kinds of F/O's are few and far between in my cupboard, though, because HP is just not as enjoyable to me as CP is, and I find that it just doesn't give me as much leeway for creativity as CP does.

MarieJeanette

I started off with HP. I was far too impatient for CP and I was nervous about the lye and wanted to make sure all my pots and bowls etc had soap and not raw soap in them at the end. A year later I have switched to CP. I was disappointed at first how quick it was, but now I love the swirling and texture so much I only use HP when I stuff something up. AJ has an awesome HP tips thread on this site that I used when I started. It really helped me.

My first HP was in a croc. I'd do everything in a croc if I could. I love any formula that works in one container. It wasn't anymore complicated than cp, but I had read so much of everything I got some of the intructions mixed up with LS instructions and panicked..LOL but it came out nicely...that soap was hard as a brick! :shocked2: