“Something Wicked This Way Comes”

I think that “Something Wicked This Way Comes”

Okay I get this call from a girl saying that her sister got one of my candles as a Christmas present. She wanted to know my prices and what sizes I carry how many scents I carry. I tell her that I would be happy to email her a scent list. Then she asks me something that just kind of threw me; she asked me where I got my jars. I said I prefer not to give out my business supplier information, and that she could do an internet search that there are many suppliers out there if she did a little work. So now she gets very quite and in a very condescending voice says; “well, what are the jars called” I say it is written on them. I use Square Masons. And it says so on the jar. So I have come to realize after sitting here and thinking about it she was on “a fishing trip” fishing for info. I am sure that most of you will agree with me on this point, I had to work hard to come up with my line and no one held my hand and gave me all the info that I needed to start my business. I had to just about scratch and claw to get my business started. Why would I just give out my suppliers information? She gave me her email address to send her a scent list, but that is not happening.

So what do all of you think?

A fishing we will go, a fishing we will go.......

Yep, I agree. We all had to start out by searching out suppliers, finding the ones that had the best price for us (closest for shipping, etc.), testing and so on. It's one thing to be a part of a forum of folks that are already established in the industry and share certain select information with them. But to just spill all your hard earned info with some stranger that calls you up pretending to be a customer who in reality is fishing for your supplier info. NO Way Jose'!! She can find it/learn it the hard way just like the rest of us.

Just my two cents :)

At first I was trying to give the benefit of a doubt. Like maybe she thought she was trying to ask you about what the jars look like. To see if they would match her decor.

Then I re-read where she said her sister got one of your candles so she was interested in one too. So, obviously she has see them.

It took me a minute and a long way to get there but yep, she was on a fishing trip. Good for you for not falling for it 'hook line and sinker.'

Thanks for the come-backs. I wish I could think fast on my feet. What you have said would have saved me so much aggregation. I just have never had anything like this happen to me. But you can bet I will know how to handle it next time.

I forgot to say my town is fairly small and I know most of the competition. I don’t want to get a bad name like one of my competitors have. I want my business to grow into a fulltime job. I know “Pie in the Sky”. But a girl has to have a dream. :P

Practice your 'question' with a question response. You'll need it cause you will get that a lot.

Yep. When I get those uncomfortable questions I just get a far away look in my eyes and say, "On line."

They ususally back away quickly.

Don't know if it's the answer or the look that frightens them. :Werd:

Luckily for me, I can smile politely and say "Overseas."

same for me.

but it happend that a couple of people actually saw me while poking relief holes and repouring pillars.. and they said "uh that's something I will never do".

People may think it's easy but when the get to know they realize only few chosen people with great patience can do what we do LOL!