Where to unload a ton of stock?

Hi Guys,

I made a ton of candles this fall that haven't sold. I've already tried Ebay... no luck. I would probably have to practically give them away to sell them on there.

Any advice on how to unload the rest of my jars? I've got like 4 boxes full still... plus pies and tins.

I missed a craft event last week due to illness, or maybe I wouldn't be in this predicament.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Violet

I take mine to where I used to work--what I have leftover, usually mark them down a buck or two, post a sale sign and they go like hotcakes. If you don't work, then maybe to a friend's workplace, church, somewhere where you know the people and make sure they know they are getting a deal.

This is a great time for last minute gift shopping. One word as a caveat--one year I just listed what I had left and did barely any sales, now I take my stock and display it where they can see/smell, it really makes the sale.

Maybe hit up small hole-in-the-wall gift shops.

Check to see if a laundromat might be willing to sell them on consignment. You usually have a captive audience there with nothing to do between loads, so they'll probably sniff your candles, and will probably have some extra change on them to buy one.

Try Craig's List. It's free. If you can't sell them there you might try to barter them for something else. Just make sure you include pictures.

I know it is kind of late, but do you have any friends who are teachers? I had four cases of candles that I gave to my friend...she left them in the teacher's lunge with an order sheet and boom, sold all but nine candles. She gets a free one plus 10% of the sales credit towards her candles.

Offices (as I think someone said) is another avenue. Find someone to organize and handle the sale and give them a percentage of the sale (either money or candles).

I would place an ad in the newspaper and place an ad for last minute gifts ready to deliver. That might work for you if you don't have the time to visit stores. Then I would buy some gift bags and wait for the phone to ring. Guys always wait for the last minute to buy so you might get a few calls.

I thought I was gonna have the same problem myself until a Relay for Life captain asked me if she could sell my candles. I have several cases left over so she took them and sold them at the school she works at in the TEACHERS LOUNGE! Yup-- they almost all sold in the first day. I ended up giving her the very last case I had.

So now my stock is sold, I've made a nice donation to the Relay for Life charity, and I get a nice fat Christmas check. Yippee!!

I have to go along with the Teachers lounge. If you know someone who will do it for you or allow you to sell them there you can probably sell quite a few. Its worth a try.

Teachers - definitely! They asked my son to bring some in -- I sent him with 4 candles today (couldn't send him with more due to weight and potential breakage). I come home today and ask about the candles and he hands me a check -- his teacher bought them all!

How about any local salons or spas? Could do the same sort of thing there.

Good luck moving that extra stock!

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I did manage to sell $50 worth tonight on my way home and have been asked to stop by a bar for a bartender who wants them on Friday, plus a hair salon on Sat. I asked around at work, but most people were broke bc of Christmas... and I've been out sick for a week til today or I may have sold more.

Don't know any teachers really. But I'm working on it. Craig's list may be an option, once I do inventory to see what I have left.

:)

If you have a local Truck Stop thats an excellent place to unload alot...

Ask a trucker to announce on his cb and girl get ready , them men buy a ton from me...

They cant get out to go Christmas shopping just anywhere in them trucks..

My Mom is a truck driver and I have been selling at the local truck stops for 3 years here now and make GREAT at it..

They really appreciate it that we come out too , they tel me all of the time =)

What about an Open House sale?

I agree with doing an Open House...People will be able to get last minute gifts and it will help get that stuff out of your house. Do you work outside of your home? Maybe see if you can sell some things in your lunchroom/cafeteria during your lunch hour. HTH

I did pretty well with Drs offices and dental offices. Those nurses LOVE candles and some stuff flew (like pink sugar).

I made less than I needed this year and then reordered supplies the end of November to make some more. After "christmas shopping" through my own stock, I have only about 6 candles left and they're not Christmasy scents- yeah! It worked!

-Kristi