New at candle making

Hi ya all this is my first post and I hope someone can answer a question for me. I just started making candles and the first one I made was using a coffee cup that I used for a mold and I melted the wax and mixed in hot chocolate mix with little marshmellows and added some cocoa fragerance and stuck a cinninon stick in to make it look like a cup of hot chocolate with a straw. It looks neat but the problem I am having is that when the candle burns it will only burn a hole about the size of a quarter and the flame drowns out. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Thank You

Welcome to the board. Glad to have another newbie to chat with!!!! I haven't been here long either, maybe a week or so but I have been making candles for awhile now. Anyway I am going to ask you the same thing I have been asked on several of my posts. I wanted to know what it feels like to answer the thread this time, LMAO!

What type of wax are you using?

size of wick?

Additives?

what are you pouring it at?

is your cup clean? (don't touch the inside)

How much FO did you add?

Now I will offer a suggestion. Could be wrong wick. Too much FO. Not good enough candle calculation (meaning 90% wax 10% FO or something like that.

We need more details to offer advice or wisdom.

(pssst.... Did I do it right everyone?:) )

I melted the wax and mixed in hot chocolate mix with little marshmellows and added some cocoa fragerance and stuck a cinninon stick in to make it look like a cup of hot chocolate with a straw. It looks neat but the problem I am having is that when the candle burns it will only burn a hole about the size of a quarter and the flame drowns out. What am I doing wrong?

Did you put actual hot chocolate mix and marshmallows into the wax?

The type of wax I am using is Paraffin Wax general purpose, The wicks are 9" Pre-waxed Medium Wire Wick, The FO is Hot Cocoa and I only put in about an 1/8 oz. for a 1/2 pd of wax, Temp is about 170 degs. and yes I did put in Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate with marshmallows mix and the cups are clean and I did not touch the inside.

Now that sounds like a great idea. I knew someone out there could help me out. I will give it a try and let you all know how it came out and I want to thank all of you for your help.

Have a Merry & Safe Christmas

Good luck, post pictures when you're done we want to see them.

Ok I guess I made a big mistake with the cocoa mix but how can I get it to look like a cup of hot chocolate.

What I do is use brown color to make wax that would make a cocoa. After the "cocoa" has completely cooled... I make a vanilla scented wax, use a little bit of beige color (not much). I wait for the wax to set up a little bit in the pot. I can still stir it and it's pliable but starting to set up. I put this on top of the cocoa wax.... making sure not to bury the wick. Wait for that to set and there's a cup of cocoa!

Assuming the cup you are using is probably 3", the craft store medium wire wick is too small. If the craft store is the only supplier you have for wicks at the moment, try using the large wire or medium flatbraid wick. As you increase the wick size, you'll have to keep an eye on the cup itself to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

As for the wax that you are using, if the package/label does not say ''container wax'' then you've probaby got pillar wax instead. There is a difference - container wax will have a lower melt point than the pillar wax. HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took everyones advice and got rid of the cocoa mix and bought differant wicks and wax and tried again and guess what happened.

They came out great for a newbie:D . They burn great and smell wonderful and it would not have happened without everyones help. So now I will keep reading and move on and hope to get better at it.

Thank you all so much.