What do you think of these molds?

This is something I found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-4-CILINDRIC-ALUMINUM-SPHERES-SOAP-CANDLE-MOLD_W0QQitemZ250181908730QQihZ015QQcategoryZ41207QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

they seem perfect for making spheres. I hate the "saturn balls". Do any of you know where these can be found elsewhere, and if they make a real sphere?

TIA!

Scented, I read in another similar auction that they may still leak a bit.

Now I have to share my addiction and make you suffer!!!

Chris, thanks for the link! I was looking for metal/aluminum because I want to make some rustic effects, don't know if with silicone this can be done, but sure look at that!

Wow never used silicone molds.. they cost a lot! I would like to make a set from 3" (or less) diameter to 5", that would cost me a furtune lol!! Thanks for suggestions, if I really give up with saturn molds I'll try one of these silicone molds.

• 2 months later...

Cybersix since they don't have wick holes why don't you just stick a rod threw the top/bottom. Then once the candle is set you can pull the rod out and stick a wick in it. You can do one last little pour on the bottom to make sure the wick won't be pulled out.

Let me know how they work out, those look really cool.

Karen B

Cybersix since they don't have wick holes why don't you just stick a rod threw the top/bottom. Then once the candle is set you can pull the rod out and stick a wick in it. You can do one last little pour on the bottom to make sure the wick won't be pulled out.

Let me know how they work out, those look really cool.

Karen B

It's more work but I usually prefer to wick my molds, I don't like candles wicked after cooling.

Anyways I'll let you know how do they work when I'll have a bit of time to play!!

Thanks for the suggestion!

• 1 month later...

I bought 2 sizes of them. My DH was the one to end up making them. They came out really good. However, the larger one took a lot of wax. I thought they were a little big and did not like them, so I put them in my booth at an antique store to sell. If you are interested, I will pick them up and take photos for you and sell them to you.

Did you ever get to use those moulds Sabrina? I bought some too but haven't got round to using them yet. How do you seal these exactly? :tongue2:

Anjie,x.

As long as you don't cut a hole in the silicone, you don't need to seal. By that I mean you can poke something through to set where to thread your wick, but you won't need to seal it.

Just tie the wick around a bar, pull tauntly and pour.

As long as you don't cut a hole in the silicone, you don't need to seal. By that I mean you can poke something through to set where to thread your wick, but you won't need to seal it.

Just tie the wick around a bar, pull tauntly and pour.

Hi Scented. I was refering to the metal moulds, not the silicone ones, but thanks for your reply. :cheesy2:

Cyber, I was wondering how you seal round the middle. Do you pack it round with mould sealer or use tape or something??

Anjie,x.