First Liquid Soap

GrandmaArial

For a first try.. ok I guess. I diluted to much, it's thin, and to much coconut. It's very drying. Lather is ok, not great, just ok. I know I need to lower my fat ratio, got more "cream" than soap. So I learned a lot. Not exactly opaque but far from translucent, I guess it's ok. The yea I used to dilue with... I don't like the smell now. It's not sour or anything, just not as nice as it smells when it's brewing in water. I will probabaly add some kind of scent to it.

I have started diuteing the second batch, which I used goats milk in.

post-7822-139458437941_thumb.jpg

:yay: Good Job Cheryl!!! I would not even attempt to make liquid soap. Too intimidating... or it may just be me and my paranoia. :P I'll leave the liquid soap making to you!! :)

Oh... scent it, scent it!! LOL Rose.... patchouli..... whateva you got! LOL

Thank you all. As I said, for a first try… it’s ok.

This will never replace CPBS for me. Though similar in many ways (if you use thesoapersworkshop’s directions, I do not find it as satisfying. No instant gratification, even with the HP method (how this batch was done). You still have to sequester… and spending all day watching the pot… I doubt I’ll ever do the HPLS method again. With CPBS you can cut your soap in 24 to 48 hours and know at least what it’s going to look like. With the LS you just have to keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting… also you can’t super fat like you can (must do) with bar soap unless you use sulfonated castor oil. I guess I need to find a source for it.

As most of the scent and much of the qualities I like about my bar soap comes from infused oils and herbs I am finding this LS less than I want in soap. I read that you can use teas to infuse herbs into LS, and tried it, but I really think that everything brought into the soap by the tea was lost in the cream or the solids that settled. I am also wondering how stable this will be with the teas. Am I going to have mold in a few months? Time will tell.

The CPLS method is actually easier than CPBS. No molds to mess with. And less clean up. I made it in the same bucket it cured in. The KOH is easier to deal with than NaOH. As long as you’re ready for the grinding sound of it when you stir, which is nothing more than the flakes grinding against each other. Nothing to fear. The hard part is the waiting. Two to three weeks before you can dilute. I am diluting it a little every day to find the right level. I suspect that like SAP the amount of water any individual oil will take to properly dilute varies. With practice I have no doubt I will learn how to produce an acceptable liquid soap. I am not thrilled with this first batch, but I wasn’t thrilled with my first batch of CP (and have yet to be thrilled with my HP). Everything comes with a learning curve; life itself is a learning process. I will get this down, I will learn to make an acceptable LS. Will it replace CP for me… I greatly doubt it. But people keep requesting it so I will make it. I guess I should get some pretty bottles.

I agree than making liquid soap isn't near as much fun as CP for me. I think your first batch looks great. I made a goat milk liquid soap since I found out how well it sells I keep making it but it isn't any fun but the formula makes about 3 gallons and I dilute it and put it in foamer bottles so I only have to make it every few months.

I use snowdrift farms formula for goat milk liquid soap and I bought foamer bottles off the classifieds on this forum. Works great. Everyone seems to love foamers.

I never did come up with a LS that was not some what drying never did like the texture i wonted something more like dove liqued soap. i gave up on it because i liked the CP better and dove LS better. good luck with your LS looks great.

Congratulations on your first batch of LS! :cheesy2:

Good luck on your second batch.

I've got a simple superfatted recipe I cook on direct heat in a big soap pot on my gas stove where I can really adjust the heat while stirring constantly. It's fun to see the soap go through its changes and then the big "WHAM" boil up phase where it turns from a viscous liquid to a hot frothy mass that rises up in the pot and then settles to a nice clear honey-colored semi-solid. I've never tried any other method. I use distilled water and no preservatives - never had any problem with "ickies" at all. I agree with adillenal - all the liquid soap I sell goes into foamers - customers really like them.

Cherry kernel oil is a treat in LS! Perhaps I'll venture into goat milk LS one day. :)

Looking forward to your next batch!

I have never been too thrilled with liquid soaps, commercial or natural. Dove liquid soap is nicer looking, and thicker, and has gobs of lather, you can get that with the addition of hydrocarbon surfactants and thickeners. The problem with them is they mess my skin up and tend to weaken my immune system. But then so do commercial bar soaps. Oil of Olay is the gentlest I found but even with it I had to limit my exposure to it. I’m telling you… it’s HARD to not be able to bath every day. Of course I expose myself to detergents every day, washing dishes, doing laundry, cleaning house … Although I started this because people are requesting it my personal goal is to find a not excessively expensive recipe I can use in general house cleaning and the dishes. Will I find one I like? Who knows? But won’t find out if I don’t try.

I can’t imagine enjoying watching your soap blowing up in the pot! LOL. To much drama for me, LOL. The goat’s milk LS looks like it’s going to be much nicer than the first batch, slightly better lather, slightly thicker and much better skin feel than this first batch. My only complaint is the appearance… which looks rather like strong coffee with a little creamer added.

Thanks for the tip on the cherry kernel oil, I’ll order some. I may order some foamer bottles to try out too.

Brenda, could you share your ick-free recipe (or a version of it anyway - not your kick-ass version but a good starting point)? It's something I struggle with.

Grandma, you can dilute after a week if you insulate your bucket well.

And I have a gallon of cherry kernel oil (I use it in lip balm in place of SAO, but that's LOT of lip balm) so now I know what else I can do with it...

CareBear, here's the recipe I use all the time and I do not find it drying, nor do my customers:

(Standard soaping precautions apply.)

Cherry Kernel Oil Liquid Soap (Soapmaker calculator)

Olive (refined) oil 16 oz.

Coconut oil 16 oz.

Cherry Kernel oil 10 oz.

Distilled water 23.15 oz.

Potassium Hydroxide 9.64 oz. (3% discount)

29.4% Lye solution

Warm the oils. Add KOH to distilled water. Stir until dissolved then pour into warm oils. Stir, then stick blend until trace. Heat over low heat stirring constantly! Be sure to use a stainless steel pot with a thick bottom to prevent hot spots plus a large capacity to allow for the foaming up that will occur shortly before the soap settles down to its paste form. This will take a while but do NOT leave the pot unattended!

(I keep a large stainless bowl in my stainless sink because I double the recipe and need some overflow space once it starts to rise up. NO AMOUNT OF STIRRING WILL KEEP THE SOAP FROM CLIMBING UP THE SIDES OF THE POT so turn off the heat and move pot to sink in case of overflow! I've learned this the hard way. I would not recommend doubling the recipe.)

This is the basic process I use each time and each time the soap has turned out well. I keep the paste in large Gladware bowls in the fridge until I want to weigh out some and dilute. Usually 1 part paste to 2 parts distilled water. After dilution I scent and color it while it is still warm, but not hot. Some FOs will thicken the soap and some will not. In my experience EOs will not thicken the soap.

I got foamer bottles… and THANK YOU to everyone who encouraged me to get them. I really thought they were just a gimmick for people who like to feel fancy, but it’s GREAT! The LS comes out with a head start on the lather… add a little water and voila! My mediocre lather is suddenly GREAT! OK… I’m on the foamer band wagon!

LOL!!

Gotta give it to you for doing this. You really make a person wanna try, but I just can't make myself.

Me neither. Too intimidating. :undecided Maybe if someone could do a TUTORIAL on liquid soap... it may help.

Brenda, could you share your ick-free recipe (or a version of it anyway - not your kick-ass version but a good starting point)? It's something I struggle with.

Grandma, you can dilute after a week if you insulate your bucket well.

And I have a gallon of cherry kernel oil (I use it in lip balm in place of SAO, but that's LOT of lip balm) so now I know what else I can do with it...

Cherry kernel oil is excellent in bath bombs as well. ;)