simple solution needed

So I have been dying to make some tarts

I have two types of wax that was going to use a 70/30 blend and get to work

Problem: Wax in large blocks

Looking for a simple solution to a probably simple problem that is beyond my grasp at moment

Do not own fancy tools-how would one go about breaking off pieces?

I have a tiny saw-for jewelry/silversmithing and tried to saw it before but blades so flimsy it breaks!!!

TIA

I take them and put them in a super strong hefty trash bag and throw them on the floor in the storage room - it is concrete...

This breaks them up - I keep throwing - slamming them until I get a few good size pieces and then weigh them for the ratio I use and put in the presto.

Weigh the wax you want for the 70 to be first. Mine vary each batch since each piece is going to vary. However I just use my prestos to melt.

Then do the math to figure out how much you need for the 30%.

So if you weigh 3 lbs of the 70% then your 30% will be approx 1.2857.

I usually tweek mine a bit so it is rounded up more by adding to the 70 and doing the calculations.

I use a flathead screwdriver and hammer to break up mine. I use the screwdriver like a chisel. It works great. I can break up a slab of wax into manageable sizes in about 10 minutes. I've tried the dropping it on the concrete thing but my bag always ended up ripping, plus it didn't break into small enough pieces.

Chisel, mallet, put the wax in a box (to catch the pieces) and whack away. I just got some beeswax in 20 lb chunks, and decided I would try the drop it on concrete bit. I even froze it first, and put it in 3 heavy plastic bags. Well it bounced, and tore through all 3 bags on one corner. I must have looked a treat hurling beeswax off the back entrance to our shop.

The last time I put the wax in a clean pillowcase and threw on the cement floor a few times. Worked like a charm. :D

P.S. I marked the kind of wax on the inside tag of the pillowcase so I knew what wax was in there. That way I will use the same pillowcase next time and so I don't mix any other wax with it.

I put a slab of wax in a plastic container and wack it with a hammer. The first slab is the hardest because it is laying flat. All the others slabs are easy and and I do them one at a time until all broken up, then keep covered with the lid. What ever works for you. :D

Thanks!!

All sounds so easy AND therapeutic!

Don't think BF appreciates that the two bags of wax have been ocupying the corner of my counter for a few weeks while i pondered!!

that and the fact i work a nd go to school-my brain can only handle so much!

now to find the hammer and screw driver

or pillow case!!

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Happy weekend!!

maybe i will have tarts when this is all over!!

Chisel, mallet, put the wax in a box (to catch the pieces) and whack away. I just got some beeswax in 20 lb chunks, and decided I would try the drop it on concrete bit. I even froze it first, and put it in 3 heavy plastic bags. Well it bounced, and tore through all 3 bags on one corner. I must have looked a treat hurling beeswax off the back entrance to our shop.

Definitely put it in something when chopping...those pieces FLY!!! lol

We have a large Rubbermaid container that I put one slab in at a time - break one up, put the next slab in and use the first one to "break" it on, etc.

I just leave in original box and use a large hammer(my brother made me) and whack the top of the slab..then it breaks. when I am done using that on to the next slab...I just leave it in the same box it came in...It has all the info. already on it! HTH!:D

Kimmeroo