The best dyes

I use both blocks and liquid. My local supplier makes the best blocks I've tried. I seem to have the most success with them. Others only use liquid dyes. The amount used varies and you have to mess around and find out how much. For example, my red blocks are terrific and I use between 1 to 2 tsp pp. If I want a darker color I add a drop of black to it. I've not had a problem with dye clogging wicks, but some have. So I hope someone else will chime in with their advise.

It's my impression that all the rectangular color blocks are the same. Is anybody convinced otherwise?

What I like about blocks is how precisely measurable they are, and the fact that they're in a pretty innocuous stearic base. What would be ideal for my needs is a similar product that doesn't have those "problem colors" with the barely soluble crud.

Has anyone tried the Candlewic color buttons to see if they're better in that respect?

I have tried the buttons. I still get the crud and flecks with red. I just broke down and got more liquid red.
Blah, that blows. Anyone who wants to make a quality solid colorant should be filtering that crap but nobody does. It's exactly what you get when you try to dissolve red dye power and they just pour it right into the block.