Theire is something in my wax, grainy looking??

I have melted 4 batches of wax to make Melts, and each batch in different presto pots have had something in it. At first not to be gross I thought bf spit his chew in my presto pot by accident because that's what it looked like at first. But now I know that he didn't do it because it's happening every time.

I'm using V1 votive wax. Has this happened to anybody else??

I remember reading about this about a yr. or so ago but can't find the thread.

Any help is appreciated because I have orders and I can't make anything.

Mindy :confused:

I did strain it, but it still had tiny specks of whatever in it.

I think I'll try the old way, the double boiler method tonight. To make sure it's the presto pots. I just thought it was odd that all 4 did the same thing.

Ohwell, it's worth a try to at least save some of my sanity.

Mindy

I have been having the same problem with my presto. I couldn't figure it out at first, but quickly realized it was the finish on the pot(its old) was breaking down.

I use the filter holder from an old coffee pot that fits perfectly on top of my pour pot. I tried using coffee filters but that didn't work cause the wax wouldn't go through it fast enough. Now I use old bed sheets cut into squares about (12 inches) that I put in the filter holder and it works PERFECT!!

The wax pours right through the cotton and into the pouring pot. You won't believe the CRAP that it filters out of the wax!!!

Like I said, I use the sheet, but I place it in an old filter basket from a coffee pot which fits perfectly on the top of my pour pot. Then pour the wax into that. The wax then filters through the sheet filtering out all of the "stuff" you don't want in your candles. It works great!!

You could do the same thing by placing the sheet over the pour pot and using a rubber band to hold it in place, but that would be a PITA. With the filter basket, you just sit it on the pot and pour and then remove when done.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!

Isn't it quite a coincidence that all of the presto's are losing their coating at the same time?? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

With the amount of candles we are pouring right now, I certainly would not want to start "straining" it! Does this problem happen alot?

Honest, straining isn't much problem and I would be waaaaay too cheap to buy a new presto every time I see a speck. It also protects againts dust, pet hair, PEOPLE hair, etc. inadvertently including themselves into your candles.

If you are straining a large quantity, filter paper (or paper towels) is best as it has the finest filtering capabilities. I use a coffee filter when I strain stuff from the Presto into the pour pot, for example.

Strainers have differing sizes for mesh. I use a tea strainer (VERY fine mesh) as I pour from the pour pot into the container or mold. This catches all the contaminants I have found thus far and is small enough to use easily. The metal mesh cleans easily between pours. The thing I like about doing it this way is because the wax is strained as the candle is poured, there is less chance of stuff finding its way in there after that point. It catches the fine "pepper" from the Presto for me so far.

With the amount of candles we are pouring right now, I certainly would not want to start "straining" it!
For me all it means is that I am now using two hands to pour instead of one - one holds the pour pot, the other holds the tea strainer. Not a problem and no loss of time.:wink2:

For me all it means is that I am not using two hands to pour instead of one - one holds the pour pot, the other holds the tea strainer. Not a problem and no loss of time.:wink2:

I guess I just hate to add one more step to the process...:rolleyes2 but I have never done it, so I guess I just don't realize that it is not such a big deal.

Luckily, I have never seen the need to strain our wax - never noticed any "foreign objects" in there before and haven't had any complaints. We don't color our wax, so hopefully I would notice something.

Curious - do alot of people need to strain their wax?? Is it just a certain kind of soy wax that needs this to be done. We use the Enchanted Lites Millinium.

Thanks - this is very interesting to me and something I will be looking for.

It really isn't another "step" when I do it 'cause I was pouring anyway... no extra trouble to pour through a little hand-held tea strainer. :wink2:

I started straining mine when I noticed "black pepper" specks on the bottoms of some tarts. I have a wabbit, 9 cats and 2 dogs who are not shy about sharing their DNA and they have no preference on the kind or brand of wax to which they make their donations. If I sell a candle to a relative and they find a hair in it, I do not consider opening a vein. BUT when I sell to another person, I don't want to take the chance on them finding foreign matter in their candle. Looks unprofessional.

But that's just me...:wink2:

I have two labs that shed everywhere! Luckily, my business partner has no animals and that is where we pour our candles. When we are done pouring, we just lay paper towel over everything.

For convenience sake, I would love to be able to do some of the work at my house - I have to drive about 30 minutes to her house - but I would really need to find a place in the house where the dogs DON'T go....lol

As I was researching the Presto pots, I noticed this problem was posted on the boards quite often. Hence, I never got a Presto Pot but order much larger container for melting wax the doubl boiler method. O can melt thirty pounds on my stove in less than an hour and while the wax is melting, wick the jars.

I hope to get two Surf an Turks for my new melters. I work strictly in my basemnt and the dog is not allowed down there. But I still need to clean it! twice a year!:mad:

When I get started making CP soap and lotions and such, the basement will be cleaned every day. But CP soap comes first.;)

Fire

Just wondering-are you using a metal "something" to stir your wax with in the presto pot? If so, try silicone instead. Silicone won't scrape the bottom like metal will.

This is an excellent suggestion. We have always used silicone utensils with the presto pots - can withstand high temps and doesn't scratch the coating in the presto.

In the thread about the "black specks," many suggestions were shared. I think it is safe to say that the non-stick surface on Prestos is pretty cheap. Using stirring utensils that are made for non-stick surfaces helps, but even that doesn't seem to end the problem. The bits can flake from the top edge from using the metal-rimmed lid. People with spigots don't seem to have as much problem because their wax is drawn off above the bottom...

I won't replace any Prestos, because actually, mine are in very good shape. They are serving me well at this time. I hate ALL non-stick coatings for this reason! Since the specks from the non-stick coating are only ONE of the many sources for contaminants, I decided that it was simply a good idea to filter the wax going into the containers & molds to ensure that nothing gets in there that I did not intend. I don't mind doing this to be sure that my candles are as free of unintended "stuff" as possible. All it takes is ONE black dog hair and a customer with a big mouth to make one wish they had taken the tiny amount of trouble to keep debris out of the candles.:rolleyes2:wink2: I consider it insurance. :D

• 2 weeks later...

After the "black specks" thread, I bought myself a new Presto and did not having this problem anymore (from the same case of wax). Don't know how long it will last, although I am being more careful than ever when stirring the wax.