Soy Wax in Soap

CareBear

I really liked the soap - I thought it was a bit more cleansing than my usual old lady soaps, but my sister loved it. I don't recall the % (it's on my other computer) and it was a totally new recipe instead of a mod of a current one so I'm not sure what the soy added. I do plan to take a good recipe of mine and add soy so I can see what happens though - do you think I should add soy and thus shift the other component %s down or should I sub for something???

do you think I should add soy and thus shift the other component %s down or should I sub for something???

I would think that the soy wax would lend to the hardness of the bar, so maybe do 50/50 with one of your hard oils? I'm just wondering if it would cut down on lather like beeswax can.

I'd be interested in your findings.

I would think that the soy wax would lend to the hardness of the bar, so maybe do 50/50 with one of your hard oils? I'm just wondering if it would cut down on lather like beeswax can.

I'd be interested in your findings.

I've never tried adding soy wax to my soap, but I've tried a few bars with soy wax added... IMO... I had to REALLY work it to get a decent lather, and it still wasn't enough lather for me. (I personally like tons of lather.)

But it gave it a beautiful smooth texture and hardness.

Maybe the lather qualities depend on how much soy wax is used.

It's been at least a year since I tried it, but I used it a few times and do think I remember it did inhibit the lather at the amount I used. I think it was +- 25% area. I think it did harden my GM bars though.

Paul.... :):wink2:

what are the good qualities of soy wax, i mean, what is the reason to add to your soap

Jo Ann, I added it just like you would use soy oil as a oil in your soap. I thought, like most seen to think, it would add hardness to my soap, and it did. That was the main reason, coupled by the fact that I has about 15 pounds sitting in my candle area. As ling as it was 100% soy flakes....I thought it would be fine. Like I said I have not used it in at least a year or so, just went on to a better recipe.

Paul.... :):wink2:

I make a soy bar...using the soy wax....for my hubby and 2 sons. They are "gear heads" and forever rebuilding classic cars..totally rebuild the motors and then on to the body work. Not sure why but the cleansing on this bar is unreal. Cuts grease like no other. They swear by it! I also haven't seen a big issue with the lathering as at the sink it lathers like crazy. I have never used it in the shower but they do. I use it at 16% in my recipe and I use EZSoy Flakes.

i find that only works at certain times. like, kids, unless you have a good book, its impossible to ignore them, spouses are usually quite easy to ignore. my whacky whippet, maybe, just maybe, i can ignore him up to ten minutes......:(

Totally off topic but I had a Whippet when I was a small child. He was such a love! I bet your is as well.

I've noticed those SAP values on the NG site. I dropped a line to the sales manager at Golden Brands to see if they can provide SAP values too, since their products are so widely available.

Too bad we can't program SoapCalc with the other relevant numbers. Soy wax is a veggie sub for lard, like Crisco. It provides some flexibility because you can get it at different levels of hydrogenation. The higher the melt point of the shortening, the lower the iodine value and the more hardness it will contribute.

The candle suppliers carry Golden Brands 402 (MP 115-120), 415 (MP 120-125) and 416 (MP 130-135). The 416 would contribute the most hardness.

Fully hydrogenated soy has a melt point around 150 and would give you the hardest bar of all. I think this guy uses it at 100%. http://waltonfeed.com/old/soap/soapchem.html

On the BC board there is a recipe by Flicker that uses soy wax. I have used this recipe and it is awesome. I would put it here, but it is not mine so I don't know if it is appropiate or not. It really is good soap if anyone wants to look at it.

I love that recipe too the bars get nice and hard and sudsy :)

I've used EZSoy in soap at 15% and didn't notice any decrease in lather. I subbed it for palm, as a test in case I decide to phase out palm oil someday. Now if I had subbed it for coconut, I expect I would have seen a serious decrease in lather!

I made a 100% soy wax bar as a test once, and I can tell you that by itself it has no lather whatsoever.

I don't want to register to see BC's message board, I'm too lazy at the moment. I would really like to see a recipe using soy. Anyone have some sample recipes they would like to share or is everyone just using the BC recipe?

I have so many different brands of soy I have bought that I am not going to use for candles. This is a perfect answer of how to use the extra soy up. Is there a difference in using different brands, as long as they are 100%?