Had fun with the lotion candle lady at the mall...

logcabinmomma

Oh my goodness... I went to walk around the mall with DH tonight (we went to a new restaurant a ways from here, so it wasn't our "regular" mall). There was a lady with soy lotion candles... I really should have asked if she actually made them herself or was selling for someone else...

First of all, she emphatically said that they were soy, so there was NO WAX in them. Over and over and over lol.... hmmm...

No instructions on how long to light them... her samples were on a candle warmer. She told me that they can't get hot- that there's no wax, so it doesn't get hot like a candle... Hmmmmm... I KNOW that soy can get hot!

Oh, THEN I asked if she had a list of ingredients I could look at as I have some skin allergies and sensitive skin. She DIDN'T!!! She was selling these specifically as B&B with NO ingredients listed. She tried to steer me to the unscented as that's what most customers who have bad allergic reactions to things get.... HMMMM...

Oh, and the scent on the warmer that was touted as the number one? Cinnamon of course... I was stuffed from overeating dinner and didn't feel like sparring, but I had all kinds of questions running through my mind... like, do you make these? What percentage fo do you use? Candle or B&B? Are you sure all your oils are skin safe? Who is your insurance carrier? Are you aware that you can't sell B&B items without a list of ingredients?!? Ugh...

AND they were like $15 for an 8 ounce candle....

-Kristi

What a nut, I wonder why the mall management doesn't care about these regulations - they should know who's in their stores and kiosks. If someone burns themselves they are liable too.

We have the Dead Sea salt people here, they do have the ingredients listed but when I said I buy mine from another and they kept pushing that Dead Sea salts were NOT available to the general public so what they use is fake. I finally said one day (I pass her often because my dentist is next it), "Okay - so YOU prove that yours IS from the Dead Sea". That shut her up.

Besides, I'm not paying $15 bucks for 5 ounces of this stuff.

These stories never cease to amaze me. As soon as I saw the topic I thought "Wonder if she has RED HOT CINNAMON she might like to demonstrate" on herself. Apple Pie (the one I buy) isn't even skin safe.

Wasn't lotion but soy candles that were being sold in a store. I asked where they were because heard they had some. Was Looking for a nice display.Well lo and behold they were on the counter under my nose in a box mind you. I take a look and no warning label, no company name, no phone number or no weight.All it said was what scent. Some wrote with a marker on top of jar.Tacky.

This candle person was a customer in the store and sells alot there.I think I will take in a sample and let them know all that should go on candles. Also let them know the importance of insurance.

LynnS

Yes, at the last two shows I did there was a chandler there that was selling B&B products that had the scent and no other information! No ingrediants, no contact info or anything. There wasn't even an amout of the conent of the bottle on the label. Just the scent and the price. She was also maketing a soy lotion candle as well but she wasn't warming or lighting those.

I didn't ask her any questions because she knew who I was! I was selling candles like crazy and all so could do was sit back and watch! She did come over and ask why I didn't have soy lotion candles. I explained that they were DANGEROUS and a law suit waiting to happen!:grin2: She quickly left my tables and didn't return!:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Fire

how could Dead Sea Salts NOT be available to the general public? That's absurd.

And the lotion candle woman - hope she and her employer have good insurance cause my melter gets effin HOT and I can certainly burn myself on anything melted on it! And CINNAMON? Gessh -

how could Dead Sea Salts NOT be available to the general public? That's absurd.

And the lotion candle woman - hope she and her employer have good insurance cause my melter gets effin HOT and I can certainly burn myself on anything melted on it! And CINNAMON? Gessh -

I know.... doesn't it make you squirm a little bit, just imagining.....

Yes, at the last two shows I did there was a chandler there that was selling B&B products that had the scent and no other information! No ingrediants, no contact info or anything. There wasn't even an amout of the conent of the bottle on the label. Just the scent and the price. She was also maketing a soy lotion candle as well but she wasn't warming or lighting those.

I didn't ask her any questions because she knew who I was! I was selling candles like crazy and all so could do was sit back and watch! She did come over and ask why I didn't have soy lotion candles. I explained that they were DANGEROUS and a law suit waiting to happen!:grin2: She quickly left my tables and didn't return!:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Fire

No offense, but have you ever heard of anyone getting hurt from these. If they are done and labeled correctly then you should have a problem. Of the several hundreds I have sold I have never once heard of anyone getting hurt. So when you say dangerous are you saying thatin general as a regular candle can be dangerous as well. It just makes me wonder all these people bashing this probably have never once tried it

I don't usually get into this versus that debates - but I actually do have experience with one of them. DH and I got one in a "lover's" package for our anniversary. It was properly labeled and the whole gambit, scented in something that smelled like the Renaissance Fair (love that smell, wish I knew what it was).

I'm not bothered by hot wax anyways, I used to play with it long before I made candles, but hubby actually got burns from it on his upper back and shoulders (nothing major, some welting red spots mostly). What I know now, is that it was a good wick for it's size and such, at least appeared to be, but putting anything heated by a flame on your body, isn't a good idea.

The issue I had was lack of labelling for B&B... and the apparent lack of knowledge of wax in general (saying it was NOT wax for example). Also, I KNOW that the candle warmers heat things until they're HOT and that's how she was demonstrating them, so that's how people may well use them when they get home. Yet, she said it would NOT be hot. Ummm, the candle warmers heat paraffin and soy to the SAME temperature... hello?

No, my original issue was NOT with the idea of the lotion candle, but rather the demonstrating of a potentially dangerous method of use and the lack of labelling and concern about potential allergies. After talking to her, I got the impression that she didn't have a clue about skin safe fo's either. She said it had all kinds of butters in it, but what if I'm allergic to them? She wouldn't even say specifically what kind of butters... just steered me to an "unscented" candle. Like that would help if I was allergic to one of the main ingredients...

-Kristi

No offense, but have you ever heard of anyone getting hurt from these. If they are done and labeled correctly then you should have a problem. Of the several hundreds I have sold I have never once heard of anyone getting hurt. So when you say dangerous are you saying thatin general as a regular candle can be dangerous as well. It just makes me wonder all these people bashing this probably have never once tried it

Actually a few months back we had another member that got burned from one when she was having a massage done. I think it was Brenna but I am not sure and do not have the time to go look it up.

I can understand where you are coming and respectfully disagree. Please let me reiteraste that there was NO Label with instructions on how to use this candle. It WAS sitting on an unpluged warmer but there was ALSO a wick! The candle was colored an odd dark pink and scented,the one I looked at, Candy Cane. The label had the name of the company on it but NO phone number or name of the person who made it but it did at least say the town the maker lived in.

As I been in the local show loop for years, I see tons of newbies come and go. These women hadn;t been making products for a month or two before showing up. They certainly hadn't been researching properly or they would have known a label for ingrediants was manditory. They are the ones who can give respected chandlers and B &B people a bad name!

As I make soy candles myself, and am venturing into soap and B & B, I'm learning that anything a customer is going to put on their skin, MUST be properly labeled with ingediants.

I have had to disswayed hundreds of customers from trying to CLAIM they can use my candles on their bodies for lotion!:rolleyes2 I have made soy candles for 7 years and I NEVER allow customer to think my candles are soy lotion candles!

For one thing, my candles are colored with WAX colorant not soap colorant.

Another is that 90% of my scents are skin safe and can be used in lotion but that is NOT the way I measured out the F/O. Too much F/O, even body safe F/O can be irritating and cause a rash or worse!

So yes, IMO, her product could indeed be dangerous. But it's JMO

Fire