flickering

what causes it? I have containers with IGI 4627, FO at 1 oz ppo, liquid color as recommended (just a touch of red to get a pink candle) - and no matter what wick I try they flicker like crazy and so I get soot (my jar is an Anchor Hocking that looks like a bulb jar - 3" at top, 4" at widest point.

I'm wicking down down down (tried CDs and LXs) and cannot get it to stop though I've learned how to create a lovely tunnel.

Granted, this is the first FO I've tried in this container (Bert's Strawberry Champagne) so I guess that could be it - but I hate to move on till I've got THIS one figured out!

For once I get great throw, and now this! Is NOTHING with candles simple???

ETA:

1. it flickers at the top of the jar, worse farther down

2. it would be easier to search on this topic if there weren't a) a supplier called Flicker and B) a member named Flicker!

That is a hard container to pour in, at least in my experience. Any time the opening is smaller than the rest of the jar, I have gotten some smoking & flickering. I think it has something to do with air movement and oxygen. Candles are a science & are not simple. Carole

I agree it's the opening...it creates some kind of wind tunnel. Flickering is always caused by a draft, whether it's from a door or the jar. Flames create their own wind, so if the jar is a certain shape, you are creating your own weather pattern in there! You could try one of those draft protecting toppers, or just stay away from the jar.

I'm test buring one of those same 17 oz bulb jars and it's got some flicker, but nothing that's going to do any harm. I trimmed the wick down before i let it, and then afain after i relit it. It does have a nice melt pool, but otherwise it's just fine. But also haven't gotten it down far yet, only been burning for 3 hours.

I'm having the same flickering or dancing problem with my bulb jars too. It's driving me nuts, but after reading this thread as long as there isn't any soot or smoke i'm not going to change them. I use 4627 also. Which wicks are you using? I have tried CD, HTP, and LX. Now i am testing with zincs but it seems like i keep smelling a strange odor possibly from the metal core of the wick. Is that even possible or am i just sleep deprived? *faint*

I'm having the same flickering or dancing problem with my bulb jars too. It's driving me nuts, but after reading this thread as long as there isn't any soot or smoke i'm not going to change them. I use 4627 also. Which wicks are you using? I have tried CD, HTP, and LX. Now i am testing with zincs but it seems like i keep smelling a strange odor possibly from the metal core of the wick. Is that even possible or am i just sleep deprived? *faint*

you sound like me - on all counts.

I've worked through LX and CDs and am now trying zincs. I got soot with the other two (LXs worse than CDs) but good throw. I have never noticed an odor from the zinc cores.

you sound like me - on all counts.

I've worked through LX and CDs and am now trying zincs. I got soot with the other two (LXs worse than CDs) but good throw. I have never noticed an odor from the zinc cores.

I must have been having a brain fart or something because i didn't smell an odor after i walked outside and back into the house. :embarasse I have also worked through the LX and CDs. I had a big soot problem and some mushrooming. I could have lived with the mushrooming but i won't sell a candle that has soot on the side of the jar so i bought a sample pack of zincs and i am on them now. I am beyond frustrated.

I'm not having a soot problem, just the flickering. Was testing the CDN against the CD's I normally use plus got some superior wick samples from Wick-it. So had all three going in a sq. mason. All were flickering for a couple of days, must have been drafts. The CDN and the Superior were burning the best. Put them out last night noting which one looked really good, was going to check today, on bottom of jars to see which wick it was. My DH moved them...:mad:

I'm not having a soot problem, just the flickering. Was testing the CDN against the CD's I normally use plus got some superior wick samples from Wick-it. So had all three going in a sq. mason. All were flickering for a couple of days, must have been drafts. The CDN and the Superior were burning the best. Put them out last night noting which one looked really good, was going to check today, on bottom of jars to see which wick it was. My DH moved them...:mad:

Sharon,

I had tested those Superior 600s in Candlewic's CBL129 (hard parrafin blend) and they were outstanding! I love that they have so many sizes to choose from. THAT would be a good co-op!

I thought I was going to go NUTS! I tried every wick out there in my pure soy. Same results, flickering! Didn't have this problem before in the colder months. I thought it was my wax. Like maybe moisture got into it somehow. I have a dehumidifier in the room I store it in though. My husband said our house was to air tight and to open a window....believe me it's not that air tight. I tested this same wax, wick, oil combo on a warmer day with the window open and it did not flicker.....not sure what to think!??? I feel a little relief knowing other people are fighting this too though.

Sharon,

I had tested those Superior 600s in Candlewic's CBL129 (hard parrafin blend) and they were outstanding! I love that they have so many sizes to choose from. THAT would be a good co-op!

Sorry about that, they are the Premier series and the WI 760 is working in the square mason. Now to light again and see if it's the CDN10 or Premier wi-760 that is burning best. Then I'll get prices and see if anyone wants to split the order.