Ebay sellers. How can they sell $100 tarts for $1???

I just don't get it! It costs me about 25 cents each to make a 1 oz tart, and they're selling 100 of them for a dollar????

There are so many ebayers who sell jars for so little that it's nearly impossible to get any interest in my candles. People opt for the cheaper stuff... Are they really getting the quality that we, on CT, strive for?

It just makes me mad!

Thank god for my repeat customers who know the quality of my products. Too bad ebay can't make a minimum price for things...

Oh well... just venting.

Well if I made a tart it would cost under that amount for starters ... so are you buying in bulk?

Second, people on eBay ... hard to say. Some appear to be trying to drum up business, others may be thinking if the bid is low then it will grow through competitive pricing. Others may just be trying to sell to get their name out, willing to take a loss.

Your answer to the question about quality would be in buying some of those tarts to find out.

Well if I made a tart it would cost under that amount for starters ... so are you buying in bulk?

Second, people on eBay ... hard to say. Some appear to be trying to drum up business, others may be thinking if the bid is low then it will grow through competitive pricing. Others may just be trying to sell to get their name out, willing to take a loss.

Your answer to the question about quality would be in buying some of those tarts to find out.

Yah, I've thought of it.

I actually tried that once- for a different reason. The lady was selling tarts and votives and said she was handicapped. I bid on her tarts and was awaiting shipment for over a month. Then ebay cancelled her account and come to find out she never sent any of the orders at all. I got a refund, after filing a complaint with Paypal.

Maybe I will buy some tarts, idk...

Not like I 'need' any more! Hahaha... I've got enough to last me for years right now.

I buy wax in bulk, as well as FOs. But still, with shipping and the cost of good quality wax and FO's, it costs me around 25 cents to make them. Less if they're mini-tarts, but still...

This ebayer doesn't specify how much the tarts weigh. Maybe they are minis... even then, 100 mini tarts would cost more to make than $1.

Sigh...

I bought a candle on Ebay from a seller who lists constantly, has good feedback, etc, just to compare with mine. I could barely smell it, hot or cold. If they underscent, cut oils, etc, how do they keep getting customers back?

It doesn't make any sense.

You talk about how they keep getting customers back. Well, I imagine most people are like my wife and I (and our family). We love candles, but we don't know that handcrafted ones are better. hehe. We're big fans of Yankee candles. They have nice scents, always burn well for us, etc. Only handmade candles we own are ones that have been given to us and one I was burning the other day had a hot throw that was incredible. It was a small candle and smelled better than any of our others when burning and it's a 4 oz candle!

So to say the truth, before I stumbled on this site I had no clue what candle difference are and how to look at each one to see which is better.

Most people on eBay are probably just like me. They see a good deal and buy it. Not knowing that there are nicer candles out there to smell and buy. :)

It's like board games. I'm huge into the euro style board games (Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, Caylus, Ticket to Ride, etc). Everyone that we've taught to play these new and fun games have exclaimed - "I had no idea these games existed!". It's a niche market here in the USA and most Americans are used to the mass production drivel that you find at TRU and Wally world (Monopoly, Risk, Life, etc).

Just takes a little education that's all and once someone sees the light (or smells it..hehe) they'll never go back (usually).

~Allen

You talk about how they keep getting customers back. Well, I imagine most people are like my wife and I (and our family). We love candles, but we don't know that handcrafted ones are better. hehe. We're big fans of Yankee candles. They have nice scents, always burn well for us, etc. Only handmade candles we own are ones that have been given to us and one I was burning the other day had a hot throw that was incredible. It was a small candle and smelled better than any of our others when burning and it's a 4 oz candle!

So to say the truth, before I stumbled on this site I had no clue what candle difference are and how to look at each one to see which is better.

Most people on eBay are probably just like me. They see a good deal and buy it. Not knowing that there are nicer candles out there to smell and buy. :)

It's like board games. I'm huge into the euro style board games (Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, Caylus, Ticket to Ride, etc). Everyone that we've taught to play these new and fun games have exclaimed - "I had no idea these games existed!". It's a niche market here in the USA and most Americans are used to the mass production drivel that you find at TRU and Wally world (Monopoly, Risk, Life, etc).

Just takes a little education that's all and once someone sees the light (or smells it..hehe) they'll never go back (usually).

~Allen

Yeah, you could be right... I used to buy Yankee candles until I just couldn't afford to anymore (hence, this addiction started... little did i know how much it would cost me lol). Then I started buying dollar store and wally world candles, they sucked... So I bought a kit and here I am today!

I'm sure some candles on there are really super and I'm not discounting everyone, but their prices are so hard to compete with... who's gonna want to buy a 16 ounce mason jar from me for $12 when someone else is selling them for $5? Or less...

I'm hoping the holidays will bring back a lot of my regulars who love my candles... and the show I'm doing next month will make up for lack of online sales.

Thanks guys for responding.

who's gonna want to buy a 16 ounce mason jar from me for $12 when someone else is selling them for $5? Or less...

Well every now and then someone will bring to our attention a $75 (or more) candle. I know it's worrisome when you see others selling the same thing for far less, but it also helps when you keep in mind there are others selling it for way more. :)

Well every now and then someone will bring to our attention a $75 (or more) candle. I know it's worrisome when you see others selling the same thing for far less, but it also helps when you keep in mind there are others selling it for way more. :)

Yah, that's the truth! I saw a 10" pillar selling for $55 plus $25 shipping. At least, I think it was 10"... Who could make a 10 footer??? LOL. Now that'd be a monster!!!!!!!!!!!:shocked2:

this is just my opinion but i make dolls and mp soaps. I will sell some of my things starting at a low bid to get interest in them. Sometimes i take a hit and they only sell at the low bid. BUt sometimes the bids go higher. Also as was stated they maybe wanting to get their products into hands of folks and are willing to use ebay as an "advertising tool". Could be they made or bought way to many for a show and just want to get rid of them. Lots of reasons why you would start at a low cost.... the only way for you to know if they are not quality would be to win them.

Sandi

this is just my opinion but i make dolls and mp soaps. I will sell some of my things starting at a low bid to get interest in them. Sometimes i take a hit and they only sell at the low bid. BUt sometimes the bids go higher. Also as was stated they maybe wanting to get their products into hands of folks and are willing to use ebay as an "advertising tool". Could be they made or bought way to many for a show and just want to get rid of them. Lots of reasons why you would start at a low cost.... the only way for you to know if they are not quality would be to win them.

Sandi

I can see where you're coming from, and possibly some people are selling low either with the hopes that bidding will go high or to get their name out there. That being said, however, there are ebayers who do this A LOT and who have feedback in the hundreds or even thousands. They are often the same sellers doing it, over and over again, which makes it tough for those of us who cannot afford to repeatedly offer at less than cost, especially when fees come into the picture.

Perhaps they are trying to get traffic into their store.

I started out on Ebay with my candles last fall, and I did sell a few things at below cost. I had a store and I didn't barely sell anything in it. The sales I made were either fixed price or auctions.

But would you list something that cost you $25.00 to make for $1? That's my question. Seems to be quite a hit to take, especially when the sellers do it over and over again. Even if, say, they're making mini-tarts... I've made them and sold them before. 50 mini tarts cost more than $1 to make...

So I'm just saying I don't really see the reasoning behind it if one were to do it repeatedly (and they do, if you look at Ebay soy candle listings, they are all over teh place all the time).

Only thing that would really make much sense to me would be if people were trying to get rid of scents they no longer want to carry, or wax that they don't like to work with.

Who knows.

As far as me bidding, perhaps I will, just to see if they are as good as mine. :P

From the pics. the tarts look very small. I am curious as how much they weigh. Let is know if you win how great they are......

Yes they do look very small. I was reading through her feedback, as well, and a lot of people were disappointed about the size. When I sold mini tarts (which I hated making since they were so time-consuming to make just right), I listed them as "mini tarts."

I will let you know. :)

You said it!

I sell on ebay and I still can't see how they sell 100 tarts for 1.00. So last year I bought some from a seller. Just to try. And they were very small and had a very weak scent to them. So some of the people selling them are cutting back on scents. I am thinking about trying the palm wax tarts this one lady claims are tripple scented just to see how they are. I sell mine 6 for 3.50. But I know mine throw well hot or cold. In time I hope people will learn what is good and what is bad in tarts and candles. Regina :cheesy2:

I sell on ebay, I consider it advertising. I really don't sell candles or many tarts though.

By using my auctions as advertising, I am able to get many hits on my website and therefore more sales.

ps...It has to be done correctly or you will get turned in and they will yank all of your auctions.

Here are some ideas,

perhaps the seller only has certain scents on her ebay and the rest on her website.

perhaps she has found that once people buy from her they will reorder from her on her website, (if she only puts her web addy on her tarts, they will go there and then see other scents)

I have sold some of the ones that i have discontinued on ebay, so maybe that is it, although, some of the sellers seem to have been doing it for a long time.

I suppose she could have her process set up so she can mass produce, or maybe she is getting a bunch from somewhere.

In Ohio, we went to a flea, they were selling 8 oz jellys for 2 bucks, called it your own fundraiser or whatever. They had people hauling them out by the caselots. I wouldn't have thought you could make any money on that, but, if you can buy in that large of bulk, figure out your procesing, i suppose you could make money on it.

I sell on ebay and I still can't see how they sell 100 tarts for 1.00. So last year I bought some from a seller. Just to try. And they were very small and had a very weak scent to them. So some of the people selling them are cutting back on scents. I am thinking about trying the palm wax tarts this one lady claims are tripple scented just to see how they are. I sell mine 6 for 3.50. But I know mine throw well hot or cold. In time I hope people will learn what is good and what is bad in tarts and candles. Regina :cheesy2:

GO REGINA!

I feel the same way.

By the way, I lost the auction by a mere 25 cents... I've been ill this week and went upstairs... by the time I came back down (3 minutes, I swear!:shocked2:), the auction had ended and I had lost. But $1.25 for 100 tarts? C'mon! You gotta either be supported by someone (she does say she's a stay at home mom and her hubby's in the military), and it's just a hobby, or really, she doesn't realize how to figure her costs... And yes... to give her credit, she's sold at a higher rate, but still, with fees and such, even $7 for 100 MINI tarts is soooo little!

Maybe we should recruit her??:rolleyes2

I'm good at investigating and looked at the supplies she's been buying on Ebay. She basically seems to be buying one ounce samples and I've seen her buy pillar soy and votive soy wax in 10 lb increments. With shipping and all, she can't be making a profit! From what I recall, just the wax alone was over $24 for 10 lbs. Maybe it's just a hobby? And she's from my native state of Hawaii... shipping has got to be a killer, even with flat rate pricing.

Another thing I noticed: she offers to send the product in boxes if the buyer pays an extra $2. Otherwise, apparently she sends them in envelopes of some sort. Several of her customers have complained about broken tarts... and she tosses it off, stating that they didn't opt to choose the box and therefore, it's not her fault.

I too thought that bubble wrapped tarts in envelopes would work when I started out. Guess what? I was wrong. I had a customer (still have her :) ) whose tarts arrived in pieces and she could not tell one scent from the other. These were minis, by the way.... anyway, I sent her a whole bunch of regular sized tarts, in a box, at my own expense. I'm good like that... She scolded me and told me I should not have sent anything... But I did it against her will and now I have a repeat customer. :)

If I were her, once I got one complaint about shipping tarts with a simple envelope, I would never have done so again. That's bad CS, IMO.

IDK... I'm kinda glad I lost the auction, but just may bid to see what her scents smell like! :D

Vi

I sell on ebay, I consider it advertising. I really don't sell candles or many tarts though.

By using my auctions as advertising, I am able to get many hits on my website and therefore more sales.

ps...It has to be done correctly or you will get turned in and they will yank all of your auctions.

Here are some ideas,

perhaps the seller only has certain scents on her ebay and the rest on her website.

perhaps she has found that once people buy from her they will reorder from her on her website, (if she only puts her web addy on her tarts, they will go there and then see other scents)

I have sold some of the ones that i have discontinued on ebay, so maybe that is it, although, some of the sellers seem to have been doing it for a long time.

I suppose she could have her process set up so she can mass produce, or maybe she is getting a bunch from somewhere.

In Ohio, we went to a flea, they were selling 8 oz jellys for 2 bucks, called it your own fundraiser or whatever. They had people hauling them out by the caselots. I wouldn't have thought you could make any money on that, but, if you can buy in that large of bulk, figure out your procesing, i suppose you could make money on it.

I used to put my addy on Ebay when listing my auctions. Just last month, I did the same thing, but this time, they caught it and yanked my listings. Pissed me off, too! I just said, for further information, please visit: www.violetsexoticcandles.com... Fortunately for me, I had already gotten paid for an order BEFORE they canceled and my customer was perfectly willing to go through with it. :) He loves my candles and hope to see him back... Ebay sucks, though... they don't want ANYONE to get their business blooming without them if they start with them... you see warnings all the time about how "bad" it could get without their protection, when really, small businesses are the ones who are being screwed in the end...

Anyway, yes, you can probably tell Ebay leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I use them as last resort now. Last fall, I tried so hard to stay in business on Ebay. I had a store and sales were okay, but when it came time to balance things out, I had lost money because of their fees as well as paypal's (which is the same as Ebay!). So then I struck out on my own and it's been tough, too.... I have a lot of repeats but not nearly enough....

And I see this trend going on everywhere... there are so many chandlers selling on the web and people don't know what to do, so they turn to Ebay, because it's 'trusted,' and 'guaranteed.' And a lot of times, let me tell ya, you don't get what you paid for... or you do (I.E. Paying $1.25 for 100 tarts doesn't mean you'll get the greatest work outta the chandler!).... ;)

I can't bash her in particular, though, because I have seen others do the same... But it's bad business when it comes to consumerism... it causes those Ebay buyers to question why one chandler would charge a buck for 100 tarts, given they win it at that rate, and another who charges more... maybe not too much more, but still... When a chandler figures costs into the picture and they're honestly attempting to sell a worthwhile product in a competitive market, especially sight (and smell) unseen, they become so disappointed because a consumer will look and say, hey, that other ebay seller has that same product for pennies on the dollar! And they will not often give the honest, hard working and driven chandler a shot.

That being said, shall I or will I sell my candles for less than it costs me to make them? I doubt it! My candles are worth more than that... and so am I. If consumerism has come to the point where one can buy a homemade candle for less than Wally World, I will look elsewhere to sell than Ebay... except for clearances!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I bought from someone who was selling their 8oz jj's for $4.99 each and her shipping fee was less than what I know for sure it cost! After listing and selling fees, in my mind she wasn't making any profit at all. She had many sales. I ordered from her to see what the quality was and how in the heck she could sell so cheaply. WOW! I'd be embarassed to sell a candle like that! The label was nearly ripped completely off and the appearance of the candle was as though it had sat in a garage for years. The jar was filled not quite to the level it should be but obviously sloshed while still wet to smear against the jar to cover up the 'emtpy' area, making it appear full. The scent was the best part. The feedback on this seller was mind boggling as her reviews were all positive. I agree that not all buyers are aware of what really IS a good quality candle.