Labeling frustration!!!!

Okay, I had to buy a new printer because my old one was screwing my computer up. Well, this is an HP inkjet like my other one, but is a cheaper model (less than $100). It is an all in one the same as my other one. I just ordered some labels from LBTS and the ivory ones aren't lining up right! I just tried my water proof ones and they aren't working right either. I just ruined a whole sheet of labels and I would like to get these done by Thursday so I can get my products out!

I just don't know how to fix it. I hate the look of plain white labels for my stuff and really like the buff ivory ones. MY old printer didn't get them quite cented on the label, but it wasn't totally off like they are now.

Please help before I pull what hair I have left out!!!

Steph

You might need to calibrate the printer to get it to align correctly. Usually they come with a utility as part of the print setup that allows you to do that. I was having a heck of a time with my 2x4 labels until I set the image on the label to be inline with the text instead of behind it....not sure if you're using images on your labels.....

Hope this helps....

Not sure what you mean about the label being inline with the text and not behind it, but I have aligned my printer a few times and it still isn't working consistently.

I did just print out some 2x4 ivory labels for my ornies and they worked fine. Tried to print out my waterproof ones and it lined it up with the very top of the page.

Steph

Not sure what you mean about the label being inline with the text and not behind it, but I have aligned my printer a few times and it still isn't working consistently.

I did just print out some 2x4 ivory labels for my ornies and they worked fine. Tried to print out my waterproof ones and it lined it up with the very top of the page.

Steph

Hey, I wonder if it's just these waterproof ones? I've been having a hell of a time getting my oval waterproof labels (from LBTS) to line up also-:mad: :mad:

I'm pissed about it, cuz I really need to get these labels done and ready for my open house and they are just giving me a huge headache (could be cuz I'm pulling all my hair out tearhair.gif-LOL)

I had issues with my buff oval lables from LBTS halfway through the batch. They were completely off. Nothing changed, the template was exactly the same, printer, etc. I had to change labels this year out of sheer frustration.

I don't have any help for you but I just thought I'd let ya know you aren't alone in your HP frustrations. I also have an all in one type and it works great... so far...but if I don't have it turned on my computer freezes. It's the weirdest thing. I'm also annoyed with the heavy load of software it puts on my computer memory. I don't know what is necessary and what isn't to keep yanno? But it's not worth the frustration of digging into the issue now that I know to just turn on my printer as soon as I turn on my computer. It was the weirdest most unrelated thing you would imagine... to freeze a comp because your printer wasn't on. :rolleyes2 It went on for months before we made the connection. :mad:

My HP was causing my computer to start and keep restarting without going back to last good configuration. It was really annoying and was messing my computer up bad! I never had trouble with it before my computer crashed (I think it got hit by lightning).

If I can't get it to work with these labels, I will just go with the full sheets.

Steph

I feel for you. I use less expensive labels so I can deal with a little waste. Her is a tip though. If you are trying to get your printer aligned and it takes several tries. Keep using the same sheet. You should be able to tell which print is which. I had the same problems when I changed to a new printer. I had so much trouble that I just switched back.

I can totally relate to your frustration. I didn't get a new printer but got a new batch of labels. I am STILL trying to tweak it every which way but loose to get them to print right. Calibrating the printer didn't do a thing to help :( I have used Print Shop, Avery and Microsoft Word to get these D**N things to line up right. It is bad when you dread making something because you know what has to be done next (labels) lol

Good luck!!!

Please excuse the obvious but many people overlook the different media settings that printers provide. Most are set to the default "plain paper" setting. HP printers do have a "label" option and should also have a setting for heavy stock, which might be the one needed for water resistant paper.

So before you trash your printer, check your settings and if you still cannot get proper alignment either HP or your label supplier should be able to provide support.

What software program are you using to print your labels. I use the Avery Wizard. The labelsonline or labelsbythesheet usually tell you the settings to use for your labels. I go by those when I set my label up. Sometimes have to tweak it a little but haven't found a label yet that I can't get lined up and printed correctly. I just print the labels on plain paper and then put the actual label paper on top to measure and see how they are lining up. It is easier if you have messed up on page and can take the labels off and then very easy to see. Also what, don't remember who said it though, said, I know on my Epson - I swear by my Epson, don't buy nothing else in all the years - you have to select your paper type and you get much better results when you use the correct type.

Hope all this makes sense, haven't had full load of coffee yet:yay:

I finally gave up and have my labels printed elsewhere. My kids were being exposed to way too many colorful words and I was wasting way too many labels. I will say that I have noticed that Avery labels were the worst for me. When I started buying from onlinelabels.com, I noticed that they did it less, but still had issues. I remember your frustration well, one would print out great and then the next two would be scrapped. I tried everything: calibrating it, using the medium print types, printing with no paper in the tray under it, printing with paper in the tray, printing with various numbers of sheets of paper, etc. I went through three printers, too, thinking it was a printer issue. HP, Epson and Lexmark.

Are you trying to print color all the way out to the edges, or even overprint the edges just a bit? If so, I can sympathize with your frustration. I use a Canon printer (MP830) and have pretty good luck with it but variations in how the little rollers grab the paper and feed it through can put off your label alignment by a millimeter or 2 on any given sheet. Unfortunately there just isn't much that can be done about that. It's maddening I know.

I ended up having part of my labels professionally printed but the design was such that a strategic white space was left open. So I have all these labels that have the exact same thing printed professionally, then I just run them through my printer to put the size and fragrance name on them. That way the alignment issues are nowhere near as frustrating.

I do wish you luck!