Question for Eugenia

Hi e....I am trying my hand at layered rustics such as the beautiful ones you make. I am using 1343 wax, no additives, .75 oz fo pp. I heat to 190 add fo then cool to 150-155 and pour. My question is this. My layers arent adhered real well to one another. Do you have any suggestions to rememdy this? I thought pouring hotter would help, but am afraid it will ruin the rustic. :confused:

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Not e but if you're going for the "cold pour" rustic look yes pouring hotter will ruin the rustic cold pour look, you'll get a mottled look. Try pouring your second layer sooner and not waiting so long.

I can't give you a time frame because I go by look. wait until you have a skin, on cold pours it is very quick. You just want a skin of wax not completely cool.

Call me a freak, but if you watch wax as it hardens (it's worse than watching water boil :) ) as the skin forms it is very light in color and then you'll see a dark ring start around the outside of the mold and work it's way in. wait until it's about in the middle.

Or if you want an easier way just wait for e to give you a time frame she uses. Waiting a certain amount of time never worked for me, the temperature in my room can change and then the layers don't don't work as well.

hth,

Karen B

I asked this same question when I first started *lol*.

And my reply is the same as Karen's and the same as I got back then - its all about timing. Get the timing right and you have it down. I don't need a thermometer for this anymore, because I know exactly when my wax for rustics is ready to go, and when the skin on the previous layer is just thick enough to take the new wax without melting and all the colours mingling together but getting good adhesion between layers - just by looking at what the wax is doing. If I walk away between layers on a rustic then it all goes to pot :P because I always leave it too long to go back and its set up too much.

Keep going at it and you'll get there :yay: then post us some pics :cheesy2: .

And sorry Eugenia for answering your question :embarasse .

Anjie,x.

Thank you all for your expertise. Maybe I did wait too long between layers. And from the looks of mine compared to some of the beauties I've seen here, I need to pour thinner layers. They did turn out pretty though IMHO. I will post a pic when my camera is charged back up. Thanks again :wink2: