Please tell me if this is right - I'm making my very first batch of soap

deb12c

I am going to be making my first batch of CP soap soon and I want to try Darwin's Basic soap recipe. I am planning on replacing the grapeseed oil with sweet almond oil. Is that OK? Because that is what I have. This is what the soap calculater says... is this OK?

So I would use 7.393 oz of lye and 19 oz of distilled water, correct? Can I use 7.4 oz of lye (rounding up) or down to 7.3 I also wanted to ask if it is going to be OK NOT to use FO or EO?

Are the moisturizing and cleaning chart numbers OK? I had to copy this in 2 pictures

soap2.jpg

soap3.jpg

You seem to have it all right. And you don't need to make adjustments for the fragrance components - those oils don't saponify.

But IN MY OPINION, I don't think it is a good idea to start with a 50 oz batch on the first go. That's over 3#. Try a 2# batch to start with. You might have to re-think your mold options but if it doesn't work out you will have wasted less oils.

Thanks CareBear you have been so helpful to me :) I really appriciate it. Those oils don't saponify? Is that something I should be concerned about? Do I want my soap to saponify?

Not worried about my mold I am using a shoe box for now. :) I will just use a smaller one.

Yes I have, I tried to download the Excel soapsheet but my computer won't let me. I don't have excel. I tried the zip file and it says it is not supported file type or it was corrupted.

You mentioned "those oils don't saponify" that's why I was wondering if I should use something else and finally figured out (duh to me) that you were talking about the EO LOL.

you don't need to download anything from there - but just read more about what soap is exactly and how it's made and what things mean and you will find yourself even better equipped for soaping and have more fun at it. Millersoap.com is a good one and there are others. the more info and background the better!

I wouldn't go over 30% of coconut/palm kernal combined or alone.

When our dear Darwin posted the original recipe (with Grapeseed where she has Almond) I questioned this - but she assured me it was nice and mild with great lather - and it is. I make this often, superfatted at 5%, and it's lovely on my old lady skin. I used to stick to that rule but have found that it's really the total mix that makes or breaks a soap.

This one looks fine too.

I've pretty much learned that going by numbers and rules of thumb only take you so far. Pick a recipe and make it and then make adjustments and see what happens... Yanno? For example, I find that shea cuts lather sometimes, and that I usually like to go high on coconut oil and balance with a moisturizing oil (as is done in Darwin's with the OO). It's hard to tell ahead of time what you will end up with. Here's another example - I've been making 100% coconut oil soaps that are VERY gentle, but only because I've superfatted at 20%. It's a complex game!

Darwin's basic is a GREAT place to start IMO. For a milder bar you might try Quiet Girl's recipe (also posted in the recipe section) but it's more complex (not too bad tho). And you can always try the 100% CO bar with 30% SF if you are feeling adventurous!

Calculators give hints and starting places, but are a far cry from the full picture - In MY Opinion.

Well I did it :) I will tell you how it turns out. It traced pretty fast but I used a stick blender. I used it for a few seconds and then stirred back and did that on and off. It looks like vanilla pudding (kind of light yellow) and about the same consistency. I didn't add any fragrance or EO but I will next time. Thank you for all your help. I am already looking forward to doing it again and this batch isn't even finished LOL

It looks pretty good, I took it out of the mold this morning and cut it. It is still a little soft. I want to mill most of it and add fragrance and maybe some Calendula petals in some of it for my family. I made two pounds (of oils). I used a rectangle 2 pound mold that has 8 cut lines for 8 bars but I had to put some of it in a lined box and will mill all of that as it is not a pretty shape :) But I will keep some just like it is. I kind of like the smell of unprocesed shea butter. I have it standing on end to cure and will keep turning it so it don't warp. I don't have a camera but will try to get my daughters and take pictures when I am finished. I have some ph strips and will test it once it hardens.

I don't see any seperation or anything wrong so I guess it is OK. But I do want to straighten up some edges with a potato peeler. I can't wait to try it. How long should I wait?

Thanks for your help everyone! I do see how this can get to be very expensive. I think I may try the crisco recipes next time. LOL