too much vybar what will it do?

I've just made up a couple of pillars to test wick sizes, and realised that I put in the amount of vybar for 4 pillars, not too. It's a case of 1.9oz instead of 1oz. What difference if any will this make?

Only realised when I looked at the wax left set up in the pot and it has more ripples than the ocean lol

Unfortunately you can't test wicking with those pillars because the extra Vybar will affect the burn. You could try melting down the candles and adding materials for a larger batch.

The amount of Vybar you were planning to use seems high for two candles. 1% Vybar 103 is typical for a scented pillar and is a very reasonable place to start. That would be around 1/3 oz Vybar if you were filling for instance two 3 x 4.5" molds.

That's a humongous amount of Vybar 103 for a scented pillar.

The manufacturer recommends 0.25% to 1% for a candle, depending on the amount of fragrance. 1% Vybar will handle 6% fragrance without trouble in most cases. Some people might go higher but I would say you're way out of the ballpark.

• 1 year later...
Sorry, I know the feeling. I've squandered more than my share of time and materials. If you're dedicated enough to get good at this, it's just going to happen.

Hi Top.....I was making a container candle with straight parrafin, 16oz......I used 1oz of mottle max......some stearic ....I am just playing with the straight parrafin.....I didnt burn it yet.....is it dangerous with that amount of mottle max? Can I burn it?Wouldnt a blend have a larger amount of vybar in it than just 1%? Thanks for the help.

Hi Top.....I was making a container candle with straight parrafin, 16oz......I used 1oz of mottle max......some stearic ....I am just playing with the straight parrafin.....I didnt burn it yet.....is it dangerous with that amount of mottle max? Can I burn it?Wouldnt a blend have a larger amount of vybar in it than just 1%? Thanks for the help.

Hi there.

I haven't bought any mottle max to see what it might be. Does it look like small hard off-white pellets or granules? If so, it might be Polyboost 150.

The amount you used would probably be too much. If I were you I'd start with 1% and no stearic and then experiment from there. That doesn't mean you can't burn the one you made, but it's unlikely to be the best formulation.

Regarding your question about Vybar in container blends, the popular ones that most people use don't contain Vybar or any other synthetic additive.

Hi there.

I haven't bought any mottle max to see what it might be. Does it look like small hard off-white pellets or granules? If so, it might be Polyboost 150.

The amount you used would probably be too much. If I were you I'd start with 1% and no stearic and then experiment from there. That doesn't mean you can't burn the one you made, but it's unlikely to be the best formulation.

Regarding your question about Vybar in container blends, the popular ones that most people use don't contain Vybar or any other synthetic additive.

HI Top.....Yes its small white pellets. I am going to make another with just a 1% load to see how that works. I was curious and was hoping you could educate me......what other additives to they add to make the one pours if its not the one we buy from the suppliers? Do you have a list and what they do? I know that maybe alot to ask but I dont know where else to go to get the answer...LOL.....THANKS!!!!!!! Also, is the stearic and mottlemax doing the same thing? Is that why you want me to use one or the other? I spoke to Bill at Candlewic the other day and he thinks the Mottlemax is Vybar 343.....not sure if thats right or not but wanted to let you know.

Vybar 343 comes in a sticky slab that practically melts at body temperature. If you have granules it's probably Polyboost 150 or something similar. Bitter Creek has a paranoid habit of hiding the identity of what they're selling. Like so-called "aroma beads" that are actually a candle additive that's been used for decades.

Both of those additives are used in mottled plain-paraffin candles, as is stearic. Which additive you choose is a matter of experimentation. For testing purposes it's best to start simple, which is why I recommended using just the mottle max. You can also test with just stearic and with a combination of both, for the sake of comparison. And then of course there's the matter of testing different amounts.

Vybar can be used in a one-pour formulation and there are probably some out there that contain it, but none of the major brands.

It takes a lot of time and money to develop a good one-pour blend, so those who've done it consider it pretty much a trade secret. Generally it's easier to use something that's already on the market. Developing one that's tailored to your application has potential advantages, but all the testing and experimentation can be a long road.

Vybar 343 comes in a sticky slab that practically melts at body temperature. If you have granules it's probably Polyboost 150 or something similar. Bitter Creek has a paranoid habit of hiding the identity of what they're selling. Like so-called "aroma beads" that are actually a candle additive that's been used for decades.

Both of those additives are used in mottled plain-paraffin candles, as is stearic. Which additive you choose is a matter of experimentation. For testing purposes it's best to start simple, which is why I recommended using just the mottle max. You can also test with just stearic and with a combination of both, for the sake of comparison. And then of course there's the matter of testing different amounts.

Vybar can be used in a one-pour formulation and there are probably some out there that contain it, but none of the major brands.

It takes a lot of time and money to develop a good one-pour blend, so those who've done it consider it pretty much a trade secret. Generally it's easier to use something that's already on the market. Developing one that's tailored to your application has potential advantages, but all the testing and experimentation can be a long road.

THANKS TOP......I am going to have like 50 candles burning in the house to see which additive does what...LOL....gonna have to open the windows and warn the neighbors not to call the Fire Department!;)

THANKS TOP......I am going to have like 50 candles burning in the house to see which additive does what...LOL....gonna have to open the windows and warn the neighbors not to call the Fire Department!;)

Have fun. :)

I just want to clarify, because re-reading what I wrote it didn't seem clear.

If you're trying to make mottled container candles, the three additives you could potentially use are stearic acid, Vybar 343 and Polyboost 150 (which I presume is Mottle Max). You would use a low melt point plain paraffin that mottles well and not so much additive that it kills the effect.

If you're not trying to make a mottled container, then you probably don't need to experiment with the Vybar 343 or Mottle Max, but you can use pretty much anything else.

Have fun. :)

I just want to clarify, because re-reading what I wrote it didn't seem clear.

If you're trying to make mottled container candles, the three additives you could potentially use are stearic acid, Vybar 343 and Polyboost 150 (which I presume is Mottle Max). You would use a low melt point plain paraffin that mottles well and not so much additive that it kills the effect.

If you're not trying to make a mottled container, then you probably don't need to experiment with the Vybar 343 or Mottle Max, but you can use pretty much anything else.

I was torn....I really like the look of the mottle but looking for an 8% FO Load....was trying to see if I could create it.....if not, I am ok with it if it doesnt mottle. I have tried alot of the one pours, but I think there just has to be something better out there...I am probably just crazy, but all of them seem to have some issues......thats why I was hoping to start with a straight parrafin....add my own additives and see what happens. Do you have any suggestions on a formula??? THANKS