Why clear instructions are SO important (CPSC recall)..

OK,,so I believe this recall originated from our town (well, the closest real sized town, lol). About 3 weeks ago there was an article in the paper about a family who had purchased this product at our local Price Chopper supermarket. They were burning it on their kitchen table at dinner table when it burst into flames and destroyed their dining table and rug below. Thank god they were at least smart enough to not leave the house when it was lit, and they did have a fire extinguisher on hand. They notified the FD, who came and took the second item they had back to the FD and tested in an identical fashion, of course the same thing happened. The State Fire Marshall was contacted, as was the CPSC, and now I've just received the e-mail from the CPSC about this product issuing a warning about how to use it properly.

This is a problem of stupid people. Granted, the instructions were not clear AT ALL, but I think common sense would have prevented the fire. Problem is, too many people in this world have none, so this should serve as a good warning to all of us as to why proper instructions ar sooo important!!

As you'll see in the recall, for proper use, you should only burn ONE (1) tealight at a time in the bucket. These people burned all eight at once.......DOH!

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06012.html

Don't know if there was proper warning with the product when they bought it, but I can bet if there was these folks probably wouldn't have read it anyway. I can slap warnings on everything until I'm blue in the face and there are always going to be some people who will ignore them. Good thing everyone is okay!

I would venture to say it was a poorly designed product. You have to make it robust in case people disregard the instructions. Why do you need a huge bucket if only 1 tealight is supposed to go in it? Plus you know if it's possible to fit all 8, somebody is going to do it so you have to test that.

I wonder what caught on fire. It's hard to believe the wax or tealight cups would burst into flames just because you push 8 of them together, even at the bottom of a metal bucket. I suppose I could imagine it if the wicks were untrimmed. Maybe the paint on the bucket was flammable? That would be another poor design feature.

Another example of 'if you pack them that way some one will burn them that way.' Those folks probably never thought to look on the bottom of the bucket for instructions. Course they probably wouldn't have read the instructions no matter where they were printed.

Yikes! That's scary!! At first when I looked at the picture, I couldn't imagine 8 tealights fitting in there, then I saw them. If they're sold that way, people are going to assume that's what they're supposed to do...Sell them with ONE tealight then!

I have to admit, if I hadn't learned so much making candles, I'd probably lit them all as well. :embarasse I've never been one for reading instructions too much...lol. More often than not, I figure out how things work by looking at them. :tiptoe: And honestly, in this case, it looks like all of them are meant to be lit the way it's made and packed.

...I wonder what caught on fire. It's hard to believe the wax or tealight cups would burst into flames just because you push 8 of them together, even at the bottom of a metal bucket. I suppose I could imagine it if the wicks were untrimmed. Maybe the paint on the bucket was flammable? That would be another poor design feature.

It was the paint itself. With all 8 lit, there was enough heat produced down inside that the paint on the sides of the bucket flashed. They had a full-blown blow torch going on their table. Same thing happened when the FD repeated the procedure.....and it only took a bout 5 minutes of burning before it happened.

In this case, it wasn't a matter of not reading the instructions. The instructions did not state at all how many to burn (although it seems simple to me :undecided ), that's why they've issued the warning, to specify burn only one tealight at a time. Course, it also didn't say to burn all eight, but they did that anyway.

From the picture it , shows all tealights together in the bucket, i can image a lot of people ( those that don't read warning) would think you suppose to light them all at one time without thinking, the tealights should have been in a bag by them selfs with instructions on front in big letters to light only one at a time, there are people that would just let the kids have stuff like this to them selfs. i bought a dvd label maker the other day for my puter, had i read all the print i would have seen it was a dvd not a cd. glad no one was hurt,