Why the high heat for soy?

I've never heard such a thing. I would bring it to at least 180 for the color especially if you are using color blocks. I don't see why you would need to go any higher then that. Also you want to be careful not to overheat soy as it can burn pretty easily.

I have to heat mine to at least 200, because I add BW, and it wont melt at a lower T. I am careful, though, not to let it exceed the 200 mark. Usually by the time I transfer the wax from my presto to the pour pot, it has cooled down to about 175, and then I add my FO. I do not add dye, so can't help ya with the coloring part.

I have to heat mine to at least 200, because I add BW, and it wont melt at a lower T. I am careful, though, not to let it exceed the 200 mark. Usually by the time I transfer the wax from my presto to the pour pot, it has cooled down to about 175, and then I add my FO. I do not add dye, so can't help ya with the coloring part.
I don't have any trouble melting beeswax at much lower temps. The melting point varies but it's always in the general vicinity of 150.

I was wondering why you have to get the soy wax temp to 190 - 200 before mixing in the FO and color. I was using J223 (paraffin blend before). Is it the same requirement for the soy/veg blend? I'm using Calsoy CB3.

Thanks for any input -

Hi Vicki,

It may depend on which soy. I asked Pete from Swan's about the heating temperature for the Calsoy CB-3 and he told me to heat it up to 170 -- the same as with the Calwax CB-30. I always seem to go a little above 170 and sometimes close to 180 -- don't always catch it in time. HTH

I am not sure about coloring. But I thought I read a post once a while back (tried to find it, but couldnt), and I think that Vicky CO wrote on it. Anyways, it had to do with heating the wax to a Temperature that was high enough so that the FO would bind to the wax molecules better. So, what I got out of it, and please someone correct me if I am wrong-I may be way off base, was that when you heat the wax to a higher T, it changes the structure of the wax, therefore letting the FO bind to it better. The FO should also be added at a higher Temp, like around 170 or so, for the same reasons. Somehow this will give you a better hot throw. So, if you dont heat your wax high enough initially, you could get a weaker throw. But at the same time, it can't be too hot, or you will just burn it off. I hope that makes sense, it did to me at the time. I will keep searching for that thread.

Ok, I looked all over and can't find that thread. So maybe don't listen to me, I might be dreaming stuff up here. Maybe Vicky can help.

Hi LVN, :)

I think I remember reading the same thing regarding the FO part. That is why I changed from putting it in between 165-170 to putting it in around 175. I keep trying not to let it heat past 175 but it runs away with me sometimes. :undecided I may call Calwax and see what they say. I will also ask what it will cause if I do end up heating up to 180 or above (short period). I will let you know what I find out.

~Holly

• 1 year later...

ok...I have been reading so many conflicting post on this...do you add the fo at a higher temp or at a lower temp? Some say higher to bind the fo others say lower so as not to burn it off...what is it higher or lower? :confused: This is so confusing...perhaps somewhere in the middle might work.

I don't think there is a rule of thumb as to what temp to heat it up to. That is why there is a melting point. I do believe you can scorch it because after all it is food based. I never heat mine that high. I have added liquid dye and FO as low as 130 and have had just as good results and I use 415. In the recent times I corresponded with Jason at GB he never once told me to heat it that high.

I just think these are other peoples trial and errors. That suppliers have tried this and recommended this and through the years people have adapted to it. But that temp is way to high. My theory is if it can burn your skin off its too high!

I was wondering why you have to get the soy wax temp to 190 - 200 before mixing in the FO and color. I was using J223 (paraffin blend before). Is it the same requirement for the soy/veg blend? I'm using Calsoy CB3.

Thanks for any input -

Hi Vicki,

As you know, I use the CB-3 also, and I was told to heat it to 170 per Swan's instructions which I believe is also Calwax's instructions. I never usually heat it higher than 175. As far as I know, it is more important not to heat soy too hot as opposed to paraffin because soy can discolor easier. HTH

~Holly

Well, even though I am new here, I want to share too!

I use ez soy flakes and recently add BW

flakes for creamier tops.

I measure and put both waxes in the pouring pot and the pot into a pot of hot water. The temp is at 150 while I melt the wax to liquid.

Then I turn up the heat until the wax

is at 170, and I add the dye chip if I am using dye.

I wait until the temp is 175 and add the already measured out FO. I quickly remove the pot from the heat and stir.

Then I cool the wax down to 100 and pour

into warm containers.

I have had great hot/cold throw with all

2 of 3 suppliers, the one I had no cold throw with was JS.

What if you do get your wax temp up way high, like say 220? When you say it will scorch the wax, what does this do? Will it only discolor? I have let it get that high a few times, but have not noticed anything wrong afterwards. Does the candle burn differently, or does it affect the throw? Have any of you noticed what happens if you do scorch it? TIA ~Dana