Pinecones, how do you set yours?

I'm making some dipped pine cones at the moment, and they've had their first 'dunking' and I'm letting the wax set till a little slushy before the 2nd dip.

What do you do with yours then? After the 1st dip, mine have a horrible bit where the wax has pooled as its set, anyway of avoiding this? I can't hang them all up.

Was thinking of trying putting them individually in cupcake cases, but do I stand them on their heads?

anyone found a fool proof way?

thanks

cant answer you that one, but can tell you when putting them in oven to open up they STINK! my friend popped over for coffee when i was doing this and told me if thats a new candle scent she not having one of them to test for me!!!

Note to self: pop in a highly scent tart when opening pine cones

Hmmm... that's funny because last night for the first time, I read about how to 'open' the cones in the oven. And THEY said there was a bonus..." Your house will smell wonderful afterwards.' Now somebody is not telling the truth, lol. :rolleyes2

Perhaps there are different kind of cones with different kinds of sap that smell differently. :confused:

I hope to be doing some of my own soon and I'll let ya know how REAL pine cones from the Pacific Northwest smell. :wink2:

Ok, now someone tell me why we're dipping pine cones, please? I haven't done this before, but with the plethora of pines around me (I live in the piney woods of the Pine Belt; LOL!) this knowledge might come in handy. I've got tiny short leaf pinecones all the way up to the gigantor long leaf cones. But if they're for firestarters, then it won't come in handy. It never gets cold enough here to build much of a fire.

Darbla

I dipped pine cones last year. I used votive wax, astor V, scented them cin. and added some silver glitter to some. Put them in a basket and decorated it with pine and christmassy stuff.. everyone wanted one. They did look really nice, like for a centerpiece. I'll be sure to make one for me this year. They smelled really great too!

So, you just count on the cold throw?

Candle Science gives cold throw discriptions.

Here is there discription of IGI 4627 on their site

"IGI's comfort blend is the reigning fragrance champion! This wax can hold 2 oz. of fragrance per pound (12%), and has incredible hot and cold throw. This wax is very soft, and is packaged in a 25 lb. bag. This requires no additional additives - just add color and fragrance."

Site: http://candlescience.com/wax/paraffin-wax.php

If I were going to dip Pine Cones this is the wax I would use...LOL...