Question about Hurricane wax

Can you get any other finish with Hurricane Wax besides just smooth?

I am making a new type of ever lasting pillar candle (can't give away all my secrets) and would like a different finish. The outside will be un-scented and colored and I would like a Mottle or Rustic finish. Can this be done with High Melt Point Hurrican Wax? If so what would be the best additives? Maybe the same as regular pillar wax?

I tried to mottle this wax like my regular pillar wax 1343 but it only came out smooth.

Thanks for any advise. Candle Man

Are you making candles with wicks or the plug? I will try to mottle my 5055 tomorrow. I'm sure it will mottle, but it may take a pound....LOL Donita
That stuff will hold 6% easy but you might start seeing mottle at that point. Oil retention goes up with the melting point.

I was wondering if mottling would be an interesting decorative effect for hurricanes and the like, but hard to find time for every project you can think of. Would be cool if you try it. I've only gone to far as to see what it looks like in a pillar mold. In fact I think I tried it with 5055. IGI 1260 will mottle also.

Ok the wax I have is a few years old and the box says it's IGI 1303B. First I tried 3/4oz of mineral oil /LB with color only got a smooth finish. Then I upped the mineral oil to 2oz's / LB and still only a smooth finish and no sweating. I don't think this High Melt Point Wax will mottle. Any suggestions?

Seems like I got some slight mottling from the IGI1017 wax that I used for hurricanes, when I was trying to master them. I am thinking if added some FO to it, it might mottle some. I think I have a little at home (not sure). IF I have time this weekend, amidst all of my other candle goings on, I will try it.

It is hard to say, not being able to picture in my mind what your doing and how your doing it. I have noticed in some of the tests lately with the 1343 that the thinner the layer, the less it mottles. So maybe it would depend on how thick it is and how fast it is cooling, don't know. Not sure I am explaining what I am thinking, so maybe someone else will chime in here. That's what I get for working and trying to think at the same time, LOL!:D

I have experimented with 5050 and just unmolded some.....they are still mottling so I am going to leave them alone. I see something happening. I used 1 1/2 lb wax, 2 1/2 oz FO and one with no steric and one with 3%. I'll see how they look tomorrow. I did some the other day with less oil and there was a tiny bit of mottle. Donita

It is just wax and oil and it is a solid candle, not just a shell. Do I need to try more oil with this wax? Does it take that much oil because of the high melt point?
You could try more oil but I'd go with another wax. Even with the high MP I'd expect to see something by the time you get to 6% and you're at something like 11%.

Candle Man.....I just had a minute (while my reindeer wax is melting?????) to take some pics. The mottle isn't what I want, but here is a first experiment. The one that shows a little mottle is made with FO and the opaque is mineral oil....huge difference. 5055 wax....no Sheryl, we aren't making mottled hurricanes.............yet. Just trying to make an "everlasting" candle with hard wax that has a texture. I think I will try a rustic now. Donita

post-248-139458383387_thumb.jpg