Palm Wax "crystal" Question

pjm

I just purchased some Palm Wax "Crystal" that looks crystalized when it cools. Really neat!!:) I made a jar candle out of it and am burning it today for the first time. It almost immediately burned a hole straight down about a quarter of an inch. Is this how the All Natural Waxes burn? Will it eventually liquify all the way across?

If the wick burned "immediately" down the center of your candle, then you had air pockets in there. It is very important to poke relief holes. You need to reopen those relief holes quite often while it is setting up....to the point where the candle is almost completely set up. Be sure to make your relief holes 3/4's of the way down into the candle...you don't want to go so far that you poke a hole right through the top of the candle because it will show up when you unmold it. Palm Wax is a beautiful wax but it is notorious for developing air pockets...and many of them.

Fern is exactly right. You have air pockets. Relief holes are a MUST with these waxes, don't let the nice flat surface deceive you :shocked2:. Palm is kind of a unique creature, you can't compare it to soy or paraffin. It does it's own thing and you'll learn very quickly what that is, lol.

Yup...you definately have to do a re-pour. And if your using a pillar soy wax...you need to poke relief holes as well. It's always good to get in the habit of poking relief holes for any pillars you make, regardless of the wax your using...because nine times out of ten, your going to have some air pockets somewhere in there.

I have to say I love this wax! Pretty much all my pillars are made with Palm wax. What I have found is that I poke the first relief hole when its setting up and then I use a drill bit and drill down 2/3rds of the way into the candle. I usually have to do one major repour and then a second little one to fill in the last little air bubbles.

I agree with everyone else, as soon as it starts setting up on the top, poke relief holes and keep them open while it is cooling. This wax is bad for hidden caves. They do make pretty candles, but couldn't get them to throw as well. Best of luck and post some pictures. :D

If you look at the candles and supplies website, at the crystalline wax, the jar candle they have in the picture is burning right down the middle. I thought that was just the way that type of wax burns and it will catch up eventually? I have some here to play around with that my sister gave me, its from candles and supplies. I will make a ton of tarts with it if it gives me too much trouble LOL. The tarts come right out all I use is a mini muffin pan, and i just turn it upside down and push on the bottom of the cavatie that its in, and it pops out. Its the container blend, and I made votives also. All I had to do, is heat a pot of water to boiling, dip the votive still inside the mold, into the water and then it slid right out of the mold! I even used wick pins and they came right out. So I am going to test burn them tonight I think. I used warm vanilla sugar oil. I dont know if they might need alot more time to cure to be stronger. But Im probably going to try them tonight. :D