Aroma Bead (ornie) Help..... Please :)

I have had my beads soaking in oil for a few days (and the rest lol) and they are finally ready and dry. I went shopping today to buy some metal cookie cutters and had a go at making some ornies as soon as I got in the door :D They turned out fine and I am quite surprised that they are firm but squishy, like rubber! I thought they would be hard and plasticy.

My question is this....when I got the finsished ornie out of the cutter it was perfectly flat on one side (the side on the baking sheet) but on the other side the edge of the ornie was raised and has whispey bits where the beads have melted and spread out in the cutter and that side is slightly concave. Am I explaining this very well? *LOL*. I cut the whispey bits off of the edge with scissors, but am I supposed to be levelling the slighty concave side somehow?

Anjie,x.

If you want them perfectly flat on top just bake them another minute or two. Depending on the cookie cutter I'm using I like some flat and some with some texture.

Oh they are nice and flat - as in 'smooth' flat, they just dip in a bit on one side. But if thats the way they are supposed to be then woohoo, i did it :D

Anjie,x.

hi anjie' date=' thats exactly how mine turned out, I trimed them with sharp nail scissors like you have.

Great fun aren't they?

I still have to get some liquid colour tho, my 1st two were colourless, but put some glitter in[/quote']

Thanks Yvette, and yes they are fab fun to do!! Going to make some with the boys at the weekend hehe.

Mine are colourless too as I have no liquid dye yet either, going to have another scout on ebay. Ooooo glitter!!! Didn't think of that :wink2:

Anjie,x.

Thanks Yvette, and yes they are fab fun to do!! Going to make some with the boys at the weekend hehe.

Mine are colourless too as I have no liquid dye yet either, going to have another scout on ebay. Ooooo glitter!!! Didn't think of that :wink2:

Anjie,x.

gonna get my dye from keith, need to order some wicks anyway :)

You can also use dye chip or block shavings to color.........if you dissolve it in the fo first, then add to the beads. (If you don't have any liquid color on hand). These have to be one of the best things to do with kids I've found yet. Now.....I have about 300 cookie cutter duplicates that I don't need, but I think I have a big selection at least! lol

just to let you know, tried dissolving the shavings in fo, but only left for bout 10mins, wasn't working and didn't know how long to leave them, so put them in the oven. Worked a treat, oven doesn't smell too good, but luckily not using the oven tonight ;)

so with a bit of luck, hubby will think the smell is from melted wax :)

Shrinky Dinks are this plastic material with a picture stamped on them. They are colored with colored pencils, cut out and then baked. They shrink right up and become a harder plastic. The oven, I believe, is similar to a kids make 'n' bake oven.