anyone use 4144 paraffin wax?

Lin

Lin, do you know of anyone that is getting a rustic out of that wax? It's not a straight paraffin that I could tell, and it's not a mottling wax. If it's a preblend, many of them simply won't make rustics. I tried and tried with OK6228 and the stuff wouldn't make a rustic. I can only get good rustics with straight paraffin like 1343 and mottling waxes like 1274, 4045H, etc.

DanaE

I've worked with 4144 - actually I should say it worked against me. I thought I could use it in place of 1343. I could get it to mottle with mineral oil, but it was never consistent, rustics always came out with strange looking air bubbles inside. It was the worst wax I've ever used.

This is not what i wanted to hear but its what i thought. I also was hoping to replace this with 1343 and i just bought a whole da-- case of it. I thought any straight paraffin would be able to be made a rustic. Trying to save on shipping i guess just cost more testing so i might as well have the 1343. This did say it was a straight paraffin so i know i got the right wax for rustics. Off to complain to candlewick. Lin

Lin, Candlewic can sell you a superior replacement for 1343 but it's called 4045H and you can find it under Candlewic Custom Blends rather than paraffin wax. It is a fully refined straight paraffin like 1343 but with slightly higher melting point and better hardness properties. So yes, you can save on shipping and it's cheaper too.

When trying a new wax always buy a slab first.

Thank You for the info and the advice topofmurrayhill as i appreciate it very much. Your so right about buying a slab first, i dont know what i was thinking at the time,lol. They did call me and told me 4144 was a smooth candle wax so i guess ill just make some smooth ones for awhile,lol. Lin

They just ran out of that wax....guess you bought the last box hehehe....I talked to Sandra today and she said it is a very popular wax and that people use it for all kinds of applications. It is a straight paraffin so it should mottle. I was going to buy some and experiment but oh well.....guess I won't now. Dave Binder a long time ago told me he liked it for pillars....guess he meant the smooth kind. They are also out of CBL 141 if anyone cares. Refinery problems and won't have it until the end of the month, maybe. Donita