Please critique new banner

Hello all I made a new banner for stacys site and though I could get some opinions before I used it for an ad campaign. I cant insert it here because you have to see it in a page to get the effect. All you do is mouseover the little tabs on the bottom. it is located HERE I appreciate all your comments so I could make changes if needed.

Thanks all

Doug

Maybe its just me but the letters are really light. I have to squint to read the company name. I also agree that you should have a link on the entire banner back to your site because 9 times out of 10 people wont know they need to scroll over the bottom portion to read the description.

Looks good, but I found something that may be specific to my browser (Firefox) or just the way you're testing it on that page? The drop downs work, but everything disappears when you move your mouse away, leaving the white rectangle frame over the rest of the page. Can't even click on the "close window" button cause it all disappears. Refreshing the page doesn't make the frame go away either, I'm left with a white space :embarasse....is it just me?

Looks good, but I found something that may be specific to my browser (Firefox) or just the way you're testing it on that page? The drop downs work, but everything disappears when you move your mouse away, leaving the white rectangle frame over the rest of the page. Can't even click on the "close window" button cause it all disappears. Refreshing the page doesn't make the frame go away either, I'm left with a white space :embarasse....is it just me?

'

No, it's not just you. We had that problem with it too.

From a novelty standpoint, it's cool for about 10 seconds but then it's obnoxious. But several issues on functionality IMO. First of all, it's a flash banner, and will not work with very many banner exchange programs. This would be a problem if I were considering an "ad campaign" as you said you were. Secondly, if you MUST have this banner, why not put more useful information on it, and make it one click one kill sort of thing? (One click and you're at the website, not a dropdown box on the current page) About Us seems like a very strange thing to put on an ad banner. But the weekly specials..that works.(even in the drop down box IMO) Seriously, if I'm looking at an ad banner that I'm thinking of clicking on, an "About Us" section on it would be the last thing I'd give two hoots about. If I was going to do a flash banner, I'd make it move or do something eye catching...not this. But of course, this is just the opinion of one person.

Ok i made it so when you clicked the banner itself it goes to the site like a normal banner.

Prairieannie, as usual you make valid points. It is good to have a honest perspective on these things. Let me explain a little. It has to be flash as I am doing a flash add campaign. THis is just the basic one but I will also be doing a skyscraper and an overlay that pops up and thn goes away. I should take the about us out I think that may be dumb I am thinking maybe I will just do new products and current specials. As far as functionality It will be functional as this is only the mockup of the design. It will actually be called by a javascript that will detect the users browser and write the html accordingly, if no javascript is installed it will just display a gif banner. I just didnt want to go through all that in case I decided to change something drastic. I wanted opinions first. I also did one for someone else as well I will see if I can post a link to it. Maybe as far as the moving I can make the words type in or flash or something. I just kinda wanted to be subtle. Please keep your suggestions coming as they do not offend but will help me make a great banner.

Thanks

Doug

Ok i made it so when you clicked the banner itself it goes to the site like a normal banner.

Prairieannie, as usual you make valid points. It is good to have a honest perspective on these things. Let me explain a little. It has to be flash as I am doing a flash add campaign. THis is just the basic one but I will also be doing a skyscraper and an overlay that pops up and thn goes away. I should take the about us out I think that may be dumb I am thinking maybe I will just do new products and current specials. As far as functionality It will be functional as this is only the mockup of the design. It will actually be called by a javascript that will detect the users browser and write the html accordingly, if no javascript is installed it will just display a gif banner. I just didnt want to go through all that in case I decided to change something drastic. I wanted opinions first. I also did one for someone else as well I will see if I can post a link to it. Maybe as far as the moving I can make the words type in or flash or something. I just kinda wanted to be subtle. Please keep your suggestions coming as they do not offend but will help me make a great banner.

Thanks

Doug

I can definately understand the desire to want to keep it subtle. Too much flash is annoying and obnoxious..I was just saying if you are gonna DO flash then DO it!! LOL. The more I think about it..if you HAVE to have this banner(can you tell I still am not sold? hehee) the Weekly Specials are a good thing to put on it..that was good thinkin! New products was good too, but then if you clicked on that section, have it take you to that page on the site?? I see what you're trying to accomplish with it I think..just not convinced of it's value yet :cool2:

Love the logo but I had trouble finding the banner on the CNN page. Understand you want it to be understated but I wasn't sure what I'd be looking for and had to go to the site twice before I found the banner. I think something like this has to :yay: instead of :smiley2: at people to catch their eye. JMO

It is very nice but I also had trouble finding it on the page at first. The other information on that page is so bold. Is CNN a good place to advertise candles? If it was on a website like this one the soft and pastel banner would do fine. I like that you can link up to you website from the banner.