Kerr Mason Jars

Kerr and Ball and Mason have all been bought by another company. The 8 and 16 ounce widemouth Kerr and Ball containers I have used for my entire life, normally PLENTIFUL everywhere canning jars are sold, suddenly disappeared this year, replaced by the overpriced "platinum" series and fancy (more expensive) jars.

I located mine at Albertson's - how long they will have them, I do not know. I went looking online for them and discovered the corporate musical chairs and the "new look" of the product line that are behind the shortage of these old standards. It doesn't bode well for those of us who prefer this "standard" size/shape... it seems they are being phased out because most folks don't can any more and prefer the cutsie Elite series or quilted jars...

Where can I get information on home canning, Ball jars and other products?

Ball no longer sells home canning products. That business was spun off in 1993 and is now part of a separate company. For information on Ball jars, the Ball Blue Book and other canning products, visit the Jarden Corporation at www.freshpreserving.com.

...and...

Ball Corporation no longer sells home canning products. Ball spun off that part of their business in 1993 as Alltrista Corporation (which is now Jarden Corp.). Since 1993. the Alltrista Corporation has been manufacturing the Ball glass canning jars. They also make Kerr, Bernardin and Golden Harvest canning jars. Alltrista's home canning product and more information on Ball jars, can be found on their website at homecanning.com.

This link may help you locate these jars in your area:

http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/where_to_buy/24.php

yep they have some of the kerr here too.. I checked the website too.. we have both Ball and kerr brands..

I was even lucky enough to run across some single jars at local Goodwill store for .25 each~ I could not resist snatching them right up in my buggy! LOL.. they were just calling out to me .. "take me home.. I want you to put wax in me NO vegetables PLEASE!!!" LOL ..

Boy, I wish I was close to TN. The good thing is now I know they are still out there, not discontinued. I'll see if my walmart can order some. My local grocer has been ordering some for me but he never gets any. He's been getting me 10 cases every week for over a year now without a problem. I guess you never know.

• 11 months later...