Tablespoon to oz conversion?

Can anyone tell me what 3 heaped tablespoons would be in oz?

I'm trying another rustic and I've seen it says add 3 heaped tablespoons of stearin per lb of wax, which is ok if you are using a full pound of wax. Anyone know what percentage this works out at?

I've got a feeling I saw 10% per pound once?

Can anyone tell me what 3 heaped tablespoons would be in oz?

I'm trying another rustic and I've seen it says add 3 heaped tablespoons of stearin per lb of wax' date=' which is ok if you are using a full pound of wax. Anyone know what percentage this works out at?

I've got a feeling I saw 10% per pound once?[/quote']

why don't you just use that fancy pair of weighing scales you got from tesco and weigh 3 heaped tablespoons of stearin, and set the unit to "ounces".

Is that a tablespoonful of sugar or a tablespoonful of lead? The two may have the same VOLUME but they will have different weights. In cooking, we measure in volume, but in candlemaking it's best to measure in weight. An inexpensive digital scale is a candlemaker's best friend.

HTH :D

it depends on what you are measuring. Water doesn't have any air between particles so it would work out differently than stearic crystals or beeswax pastilles or whatever. Besides which even when all in solid or liquid form different items have different densities...

I think many recommendations use volume measurements rather than weight because tablespoons and teaspoons are units of measure with which we are more familiar. In some cases the difference may be negligible, but in others, the difference is a lot! The weight of ingredients varies, so for accuracy, it's best to use weight and not volume. A heaping tablespoonful is REALLY inaccurate because it depends upon what one considers "heaping."

I have weighed the specific ingredients that I use and sometimes use the familiar volume measurements, but I always weigh to be sure. Some folks think it doesn't matter and perhaps they have gotten away with that, but when problems crop up, it's much harder to run down the causes if one really doesn't know the weight of the ingredients they used in the mixture. HTH:)