Powerburner on steroids!!

CatlinPM

I lurk on this board alot and have posted a few times but I just had to post this as it is my first crazy customer experience... anyways, i've been making candles for about 10 months now and just recently started doing a swap meet type show every weekend for the last 3 weeks. Last weekend one of the other vendors bought one of my 16 oz glass glow apothecary candles. I make sure to explain proper "burn techniques" to every customer who buys from me, but obviously this guy wasn't paying attention or just didn't care. He came back to my booth today with an empty jar and jokingly was giving me grief for the burn time on the candle. He said it only burned for about 2.5 days... After asking him some questions, I came to learn that he had apparently burned the candle for 2.5 days straight without blowing it out

:shocked2:. He said that made him happy because the candles he normally buys at wal mart that are the same size only last him 12 -15 hours?? I can't even imagine what that candle looked like at say the 2 day mark! I made sure to explain proper burning procedures to him again since he bought another candle, and also stressed how dangerous that can be etc....Anyway, I was actually amazed at how little soot was on the container after burning it like that and thought I'd post a pic to go with my little story...

CrazyBurn.jpg

... had to - where's the wick tab? Even if it had burned all the way down and the wick tab and adhesive failed, there would have been wax pooled around the very bottom edge of the container and around the bottom edge of the wick tab. However, just because it burned all that way down does not mean that it produced an appreciable amount of soot (some of which I can see under the neck of the jar). If the candle was wicked well and the wick stayed centered, it may not have produced much soot. ;)

Glad he enjoyed the candle, but the guy has a death wish!:shocked2:

He said he didn't clean it although I wouldn't be surprised if he did because that was my first thought when I saw it too. He did say that he let it burn until there was nothing left and then took the wick tabs out. I'm actually amazed that the container didn't shatter, explode or do something else.... I shudder to think :tongue2:

I've never tried it, but I have a nutcase friend who always burns her candles this way. She's almost always home, but doesn't really care if she leaves and they are burning! She never extinguishes, lights them and lets them burn until they are gone...never trims a wick! If she wasn't a friend, I'd quit selling her candles. I power burn sometimes, but 12-15 hours max, and only if I'm home.