Why does this scent produce white spots?

I've not had a problem with leather either.

You say they're gone now, but if it comes back, shoot a pix eh? I'd like to see this. I'm not familiar with your wax to have any advice for you.

Scented,

It doesn't come back after I melt it down. I'm thinking I didn't use enough Vybar. I poured an 8 oz and it came out fine, although the scent wasn't as strong as I'd like. When I bumped up to pour and test a 16 oz it had the white spots. I used 1/4 tsp Vybar 103 - 1/8 tsp. in the 8 oz. When I melt them down it goes away forever.

I'm testing it today to see how strong it is after melting it down.

I don't have a digital camera. Planning on getting one pretty soon. When I get the camera and it happens again, I certainly will post as it will be very instructional from the pros to comment on.

I think the spots have been termed as possibly "snowflaking" or something?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OH MY LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!!!

My leather candles looked fine and then - POOF - THREE DAYS LATER - THE SAME THING!!!

Looks like a million stars. Like the Vybar turned into a million little balls!

Could it be the dye? Brown - too much? It did the same in my Balsam scent. Both have the dark dye.

What in the CAT HAIRS IS GOING ON??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry2::(:mad:

That type of paraffin has a funny way of mottling. It's more like bubbles really, suspended in the wax. Anyway it's very characteristic.

For scented candles, that wax is more often than not just an ingredient in a blend. You might be able to reduce or get rid of the mottle/bubbles using just straight wax plus Vybar 260, but it'll need a larger amount. I'd guess no less than a teaspoon.

That type of paraffin has a funny way of mottling. It's more like bubbles really, suspended in the wax. Anyway it's very characteristic.

For scented candles, that wax is more often than not just an ingredient in a blend. You might be able to reduce or get rid of the mottle/bubbles using just straight wax plus Vybar 260, but it'll need a larger amount. I'd guess no less than a teaspoon.

Thank you! I've already used up to 1 tsp and I know I can't go more. I melted them down - twice!!!

My daughter is burning a 16 oz at her home and said it is very strong. So strong she had to blow it out and when she came home this morning the whole house still smelled like leather.

It just looks so unprofessional!!!

My Balsam did the same. I renamed the scent - Christmas Wish - and so really it's almost characteristic to the name - the million star look. LOL!

I only sell my candles through her store and I want to pull them off the shelf, but she is insisting I leave them. I don't know what to do.

IMO leave the candles in her store and see how it goes. How many of those candles did you make? If they burn good and have a good scent throw then just give your daughter what you have made and just leave that scent alone for awhile. Or maybe you could use a differnt wax,maybe a preblended for your difficult fo's.

Good luck:smiley2:

IMO leave the candles in her store and see how it goes. How many of those candles did you make? If they burn good and have a good scent throw then just give your daughter what you have made and just leave that scent alone for awhile. Or maybe you could use a differnt wax,maybe a preblended for your difficult fo's.

Good luck:smiley2:

After my test I poured 7 jars of each scent - Leather and Balsam. I know I won't switch waxes, so I'll just switch scents.

Thanks!

As regards the question of why those FO's do it in particular, it's like asking why do different additives do different things. It's because they are different things. Not a very specific explanation, but valid enough.

Recommended usage rates for Vybar 260 range up to about 2 teaspoons per pound. That may or may not produce results you like, but it's worth testing if you haven't tried it yet.

Another thing I'd suggest is singling out certain FOs to try at a lower addition rate. Particularly the very strong ones and the ones that have a weird effect on your candles. If you're in the range of 1 oz pp fragrance using just scale wax and a sprinkling of Vybar, I think that's rather pushing it.

At some point you might want to test out some IGI 4786. It's the same wax you're using but fully formulated for scented container candles, so it won't suffer from this aesthetic issue.

I thought I had posted a thank you, topofmurrayhill! Don't know where that went.

Thank you so much for everything - all the info and your time.

I'll test again, as per your instructions, and see what happens.

I don't mind the mottling in the Balsam, but the Leather - no way! Can't live with that.

After sitting on the shelves for a few days all the bubbles have disappeared. Weird. lol!

• 1 year later...
OH MY LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!!!

My leather candles looked fine and then - POOF - THREE DAYS LATER - THE SAME THING!!!

Looks like a million stars. Like the Vybar turned into a million little balls!

Could it be the dye? Brown - too much? It did the same in my Balsam scent. Both have the dark dye.

What in the CAT HAIRS IS GOING ON??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry2::(:mad:

Oh please Candle Gods, dont tell this is going to happen.

For His Glory, did you finally fiqure out it took more vybar?