A couple new waxes I have found

I found these waxes today and I was wondering if anyone has used them. I have not heard these brands mentioned here before, so I am very curious about them.

http://www.gfgb.com/candles/candle_products.htm

This one is called golden wax. I can't find a supplier yet.

http://www.swanscandles.com/beeswax.htm

This wax is called Calsoy, but this is the western distributor.

The first site is a manufacturer with a 6 palette minimum

GW444

GW449

GW423

are the new soy waxes coming out but at present I don't know of any suppliers that have them also the info on the web site is pretty limited. I know GF is getting more seroius about there candle waxes where as before it was just a kind of side line. Now as you can see they have a person just for the candle waxes now that is also pretty recent addition.

As far as the rest most of the small candle companies like mill creek , Ky and a few other along with ez-soy come from them.

Is this one of the companies you were talking about in the Superior Soy post about new waxes coming up?

So you're saying that GF is the manufacturer of KY and EZ soy?

Yes that is what I was talking about but I don't know of a single supplier that sells any of the new stuff yet.

Yes GF manufature KY's puresoy and the 125, ez-soy from BCN. You will find they do most of the plain soys for most of the smaller candle supply places. One of the reason is they offer a good product at a reasonable price.

Hi Jeana,

I live in WA and order my wax from Swans. I have tested the Calwax CB-30 (paraffin/soy blend). It is an excellent wax, but it ended up not working right in my jars. It has a great cold and hot throw. It has been a while since I used it so I can't specifically remember the quirks I had with it in my jars. I believe I had trouble wicking it. If I wicked down I would get weak flames and if I wicked up I would get some soot. However, it did not soot as much as some of the paraffin blends from other manufacturers. My jars are soot collectors and if there is any soot at all they will catch it.

I now use the Calsoy (Calwax) CB-3 and love it. It has some quirks (common soy quirks) too but burns clean and has an awesome hot and cold throw. So far out of the other soys I have tested (Cargill C-3, Ecosoya 120, Ecosoya 135), Calsoy CB-3 has a better scent throw. If you use the Universal Additive you will get really smooth tops.

I think Calwax has great wax. You might want to give them a try. Also, Pete has great customer service! :)

~Holly

Hi,

Here are some companies that carry the "UA" -- below. Just By Nuture is the only one out of these three that calls it Universal Additive, but I believe they are all about the same. I actually did not get mine at Just By Nature but got it at CandleSoylutions. Moon Glow also carries it.

http://www.justbynature.com/additives.html

http://www.candlesoylutions.com/thumbnail.asp?cid=4

http://www.moonglowcandles.net/additives.htm

Some other places may carry it, but I am not sure who. It does not state what is in it (briefly glanced), but I am pretty sure it is a vegi base modifier. I will say that the tops are MUCH smoother with it than without it and it also helps a bit with frosting issues. Although, there will always be some frost.

~Holly :)

I have not gone higher than 8% with this wax, but I feel that is too high. Most of my candles are made with 6% FO, and if you let them cure for 3-5 days, the hot/cold throw is really awesome. Also, I have not had any problems with frosting yet with this wax, but I live in a really dry area and it has been relatively warm since I have started pouring with it, so we'll see how the winter pans out. I also add beeswax to my CB-3 and it helps make the tops smoother and you can pour a little hotter this way. Have not used the UA, but you might not even need it. It sets up really smoothly on its own (in my experience) I really like this wax, but it is VERY sticky and hard to cut if you get it in the slabs. Next time I am going to order the pellets for sure (you can only get the pellets in 50lb increments) HTH Good luck.

I called Calwax awhile ago and asked what they recommended for FO percentage. It was not stated in the instructions. They told me that they tell their costumers to test anywhere from 7% - 10% depending on the oil and that they recommend 7% ideally. I use anywhere from 7% - 9% -- depending on the oil. I have never had FO settle on the bottom or come out and stick to the sides.

I do get frosting with some oils but mainly because of the liquid dyes -- darker browns, reds, blues, and purples. I have been using the Pryme colors for the colors that give me the most frost and it seems to be working. However, after a burn, I will still get a frost line, but I don't mind that. I just do not like that blotchy look when new all over the candle.

I was told that if I do not use beeswax then I should use the UA to help with smooth tops -- one or the other but not both. I did try it without anything and the tops were not as smooth and the frosting was a bit worse. I agree with LVN it really is a nice soy wax and it does have an awesome throw.

LVN, what temperature do you pour and still get smooth tops?

~Holly

HI

I have been pouring around 115-120 degrees and get really smooth tops. I have not had any cracking, but the last batch I made in my 8oz tins, I noticed that the wax was slightly pulling away from the sides, but just barely. I have found that if you pour any cooler, it sets up really fast, but I add BW and I think that is why. I have not needed to add anymore than 8% FO, and found that 6-7% is best. I heard once that if you add too much FO, then it will not throw at all. I really like this wax, Holly I think that I asked you before what FO's you were testing. I just ordered a bunch more from the candlesource.com and these are all throwing really great. I love the scented bean ones as well. :smiley2:

Hi LVN,

I believe I have tried to pour at that low of a temp but it was real goopy and I don't believe it gave me as smooth of tops. I guess it can really be different for everyone with different variables. I felt too that I was wasting wax in the pot and if you really scrape it out it cools too fast and then the tops are bumpy. What kind of jars do you use? Do you use liquid dye?

I have been testing different apple pie/baked apple scents. It took me a while to find one that threw really well. I even had trouble with this scent in paraffin. I finally decided to go with Snowtops Baked Apples. It throws awesome -- entire house thrower, upstairs too! I tried several and it even beat WYW. I also just got done testing Blueberry Muffins. Many are pretty good but once again Snowtop had the best throw for me. Here are some others that I just poured:

Plumeria -- Peaks

French Vanilla -- Peaks

Vanilla Grapefruit -- WYW

Carmelized Pear -- TSB -- already know this works in paraffin but now need to test it in soy. I am pretty sure it will throw

Almond & Honey -- WYW -- awesome throw with this, but expensive :shocked2:

Pumpkin Almond Biscotti -- Keystone -- not getting a good throw with this yet. I will retest in a day or soy.

Perfect Pumpkin -- WYW -- it seems like this one smells just like WSP Perfect Pumpkin. I have not burned the WYW one yet so I am not totally sure. I have already found two pumpkins that throw really well (for a pumpkin scent anyway) in the CB-3 and they are Pumpkin Spice from The Scented Bean and Perfect Pumpkin from WSP. I am just double checking to make sure I have picked the best I can.

I have many more that I am testing, but I don't want to completely highjack this thread. :D Let me know what is working for you from Candlesource. You can pm me if you want. I have never tried them. I will check them out. And, yes, I agree, The Scented Bean is awesome. They are great oils for soy.

Thanks LVN! :)