70% CCO 30% Shea Butter 20% SF - Amazing!

ilovescents

That leaves out milk soaps if it has to gel. So if you are sf at 15% what is your water to lye ratio? So to counteract the harshness of so much co you up the sf and what is the last part of the equation? TIA

Steve

I don't think cupcake soaps Have to gel. But I have chosen to do the hp method. Not good for milk soaps for sure. :)

cupcake soaps don't necessarily have to gel, but a soap that is high in hard oils do - or else you will very likely get thick, sticky, nasty ash. did I mention the ash would be thick and sticky?

why cannot you gel milk soaps?

and maybe this formula right for cupcakes if you don't want to gel.

cupcake soaps don't necessarily have to gel, but a soap that is high in hard oils do - or else you will very likely get thick, sticky, nasty ash. did I mention the ash would be thick and sticky?

why cannot you gel milk soaps?

and maybe this formula right for cupcakes if you don't want to gel.

I think the milk soaps over heat and that's why they usually stick them in the freezer to prevent gel. I'm No expert...just what I have asked and they have answered lol.

I cphp my cupcake soaps and they are so fine! LOL Love them!

I use 100% goat milk for the liquid but truthfully, my bars go through a slight gel but it is very difficult to detect. I don't refrigerate but do soap at very cool temps. My mold gets slightly warm but never hot. I would think this recipe is kind of costly with the way co and butters have gone up in price but would like to give it a go. What kind of salt bar would this make? TIA

Steve

I use 100% goat milk for the liquid but truthfully, my bars go through a slight gel but it is very difficult to detect. I don't refrigerate but do soap at very cool temps. My mold gets slightly warm but never hot. I would think this recipe is kind of costly with the way co and butters have gone up in price but would like to give it a go. What kind of salt bar would this make? TIA

Steve

Hi Steve,

I do get my Coconut Oil locally from Walmart, so saving on shipping there, but with the shea, I need to order. I am about 1-1.5 hours from a soap shop here in FL but the drive doesn't make it worth the trip on saving so I order my butters from Camden Grey...they are the cheapest I've found so far. But with the mix of testing candles and my shows coming up, I just don't have the time to research costs, which I'm sure is hurting me somewhat. I wish I could drop candles and just soap the rest of my life away. LOL!!! I love it that much! :) I do want to try Goat milk soaps one day! Your in AL so shipping from Camden in Miami should be very reasonable for you! :)

Hi Steve,

I do get my Coconut Oil locally from Walmart, so saving on shipping there, but with the shea, I need to order. I am about 1-1.5 hours from a soap shop here in FL but the drive doesn't make it worth the trip on saving so I order my butters from Camden Grey...they are the cheapest I've found so far. But with the mix of testing candles and my shows coming up, I just don't have the time to research costs, which I'm sure is hurting me somewhat. I wish I could drop candles and just soap the rest of my life away. LOL!!! I love it that much! :) I do want to try Goat milk soaps one day! Your in AL so shipping from Camden in Miami should be very reasonable for you! :)

Oh and I can guarantee you if I get to Miami one day I will be stocking up on most of their goodies! LOL

Wanted it to gel quickly hoping to avoid ash

Couldn't you spritz with 90% alcohol (everclear) or just rinse the ash off later?

But with the mix of testing candles and my shows coming up, I just don't have the time to research costs

Testing should be accomplished well before shows are entered... You will have no idea of how your products hold up over a period of months, etc...

Edited by Stella1952

Couldn't you spritz with 90% alcohol (everclear) or just rinse the ash off later?

Testing should be accomplished well before shows are entered... You will have no idea of how your products hold up over a period of months, etc...

I have been spritzing them and it does take care of it in most cases! Thank goodness.

I'm only off by a couple of sizes in two fo's...I've been candle making for 10 yrs. I've got it covered. :)

I add heavy cream or milk of some kind to almost every batch of soap I make and I gel them all.

Kitn...do you add the milk or cream to the lye water or to the oils after combining lye water. I want to try this when things slow a bit in Jan. :)

I soap gm the old fashioned way. Keep the gm below 100 degrees to avoid scorching and turning orange and smelling like hair dye. I use very cold gm and pour into a stainless steel bowl set in a bowl of ice cubes. My temp probe lets me monitor as I pour in the lye and often it is necessary to stop and let the mixture cool down to about 90 degrees. The result is a light yellow thick liquid that goes into my oils that are about the same temp. When the probe shows a temp change of 2 degrees or more I stop blending and pour into my mold and leave it in my cool basement. I used to add a tbsp of Borax to soften the lye mixture but found that to be the cause of ash and now get very little ash. The bars take about 4 to 6 weeks to harden up and the results are very nice in the soap texture and qualities (according to customers). My sister uses milk soaps only on her face and likes other soaps for body cleansing but I often use the soap on my hair and whole body. Most everybody else adds their milks to the batter at light trace, it's just how I do it.

Steve

• 2 years later...